Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a bad man...

Banded on 03/28/07. No complications. I felt almost completely healed at two weeks out.

My Doctor wanted me to remain on Clear Liquids and Protein Shakes for two ADDITIONAL weeks (until one month after surgery).

He said this was for weight loss as well as to let adhesions develop around the band.

I could lie and say I was following his rules, but at the two-week mark I started on full liquids, then mushies. Never felt a twinge from the band on any of it. Couple days later, I was on solids again, chewing well and feeling great.

I've got a valid excuse in that the Protein shakes were making me gag- literally. Seven different brands of powder and can, all nasty. Plus, the only Clear Liquids that tasted good to drink were sugary fruit juices- I am not a broth/soup person at all. I was genuinely worried that I would "sugar" myself out of losing any weight. I wasn't getting enough Protein, felt weak and tired.

Now, my doctor and I had already discussed me doing Atkins on the band until I'm done losing. He also put me on Phentermine (appetite suppressant) to speed this whole process and help me through bandster hell.

Anyway, I've been doing Atkins with only a couple minor cheating incidents. I get my protein from real meat. I avoid sugar. I feel FREAKING AWESOME.

Today is exactly one month out and I'm down almost 50 pounds.

I know, I know, should have followed doctor's orders...

I know, I know, could have lost more already w/out the food.

And yes, I have been exercising a little bit and taking my Vitamins.

My portions went from tiny to almost-normal as my body got used to food again, so that I can just about finish a chicken breast, burger patty or can of tuna and I feel very satisfied with that.

But even in supposed bandster hell with no fill, I just am not that hungry. I have to force myself to eat, most days. Some of that is the Phentermine working (you can feel it when you're on it), but even without the pills my hunger just isn't like it was.

Don't doubt, I already pushed myself once, trying to eat the old way: I overdid it on on chinese spicy beef and the band let me know about it! Just ate too much, felt like I was bloated and it was pressing up UNDER the band? Wierd, but it went away when I took a gas-x tab. :)

Regardless, I am so glad I had this surgery done. I plan on going under 300 pounds next month. I can't wait to get a fill (on 05/10/07)and watch my portion size drop back down again.

Oh, one last dark little confession because I am a bad man: In order to avoid stressing the band, I've been drinking with meals to keep it flushed. I don't have restriction ANYWAY, but I wanted to let the adhesions form like the doctor talked about. He said food sitting in the band would push it down, that was the reason for the long liquids period- I tried to get around it my own dunder-headed way.

So, it's time to buckle down and stop drinking with my meals.

Thanks for reading this novella, please berate me for being pigheaded and breaking the rules. I know I deserve it. *ducks and covers*

50lbs in a month is awesome, congratulations :D

(I did read the rest of it, but I'm trying to - in one ear, out the other- since I'm in bandster hell and don't need to give myself any bad ideas :) )

Thanks for reading this novella, please berate me for being pigheaded and breaking the rules. I know I deserve it. *ducks and covers*

OK, you asked for it! :rolleyes::D

Actually, it's just too late for you, so this is for all the newbies reading and thinking what you did is a good idea!

Eating too soon can cause problems later, even if you don't feel anything now. And I don't know, but I don't think washing the food through with Water totally migates that. The part of your stomach below the band would have to move to digest the food, right? So it would seem that might be a problem.

It's not even about losing weight. It's about letting the band heal up in place to it can do it's bandy little best to help you later.

Ok, done ranting... for now...:heh:

Lisah25 is correct. Many newbies think that if it doesn't hurt they are okay and this just isn't true.

The more solid your food the more your stomach has to churn and work to digest food and push it through unlike clears where your stomach really doesn't have to work. It just drains through your GI system.

If one is going to cheat they need to understand the consequences that can happen and those consequences may not be immediate, they may happen long after the rules were not followed.

Most docs seem to agree that at least 75% of slips are the fault of the patients by not following basic instructions and bandster rules.

He didn't say a month of clears. He was talking about 2 weeks of clears and 2 weeks of the next step up including Protein Shakes.

The reality is that the longer people stick to clears then full liquids then soft food before solids, the better their band will heal into place.

ok everybody.. I could use some help.. I was banded 4 weeks ago. I am walking, and doing my Water and everything else I am suppose to.. I went to the doctor yesterday for my 1st post op visit.. I about cried when I stepped on the scale..6 lbs.. I was devistated!!!! Do you think I should get some of that phentermine like Cascadian? I am devestated!!!!

ok everybody.. I could use some help.. I was banded 4 weeks ago. I am walking, and doing my Water and everything else I am suppose to.. I went to the doctor yesterday for my 1st post op visit.. I about cried when I stepped on the scale..6 lbs.. I was devistated!!!! Do you think I should get some of that phentermine like Cascadian? I am devestated!!!!

Are you keeping Protein up? At least 30gms and better yet 60gms daily?

Don't worry about weight loss/gain during this time frame. This is called Bandster hell for a reason. You have a band and no restriction. It's like driving on a flat tire, you won't get very far.

Don't worry about weight loss right now, instead focus on bandster rules such as pea size bites of food, chew 30 times, swallow, wait a bit, repeat. Don't drink with meals, just practice. Your portions are going to be larger now vs. when you get a fill but right now is not about weight loss. It's about healing.

Weight loss will happen, patience... grasshopper. :rolleyes:

Thanks wasabubblebutt.. I really need the incouragement

We all need a bit of encouragement from time to time. This is a really hard time, you have this cool tool for weight loss and you can't really use it the way you want yet. It will happen.

Bandster rules take time to get used to, this is a great time to practice.

OK, you asked for it! ;):D

Actually, it's just too late for you, so this is for all the newbies reading and thinking what you did is a good idea!

Eating too soon can cause problems later, even if you don't feel anything now. And I don't know, but I don't think washing the food through with Water totally migates that. The part of your stomach below the band would have to move to digest the food, right? So it would seem that might be a problem.

It's not even about losing weight. It's about letting the band heal up in place to it can do it's bandy little best to help you later.

Ok, done ranting... for now...:heh:

geez throw the guy under the bus why don't ya!!!!! I disagree with you big time for even saying anything like that. I had my surgery on 3/29 with Dr. K in Denver, his post op diet diet instructions were clears for one wk. heavy liquids for one wk. mushies for one wk. then basically anything I felt comfortable with one the fourth wk. Just because differant drs. have differant post op diets does not signal THE END for this guy. We all have the same band(inamed) so what makes my drs. opinion better or worse than anyody else's as far as post op diet? I think what he's been doing is just fine terry r

geez throw the guy under the bus why don't ya!!!!! I disagree with you big time for even saying anything like that. I had my surgery on 3/29 with Dr. K in Denver, his post op diet diet instructions were clears for one wk. heavy liquids for one wk. mushies for one wk. then basically anything I felt comfortable with one the fourth wk. Just because differant drs. have differant post op diets does not signal THE END for this guy. We all have the same band(inamed) so what makes my drs. opinion better or worse than anyody else's as far as post op diet? I think what he's been doing is just fine terry r

Hey, he asked for it!

I think the point is, for me at least, that we follow the instruction our doctors gave us. Yes, we all have the same band, but I'll bet different doctors have different rates of complications. He said that he wasn't following what his doctor told him from what I read, I can't condone that.

I was self-pay. And for $17,000, I'm going to do what the person I trusted to do my surgery told me to. It's just my opinion, no one has to listen to after all. :faint:

I think what he's been doing is just fine terry r

I have a hunch his doc would disagree.

Some docs have a better track record than other docs. Some are quite inexperienced. Some disagree with others. But the bottom line is that it is important to follow your doc's instructions. The original poster didn't do that. That is the issue.

Your doc may be the best surgeon in the entire world but we won't know for a couple of years yet as he is not the most experienced bariatric surgeon out there. As of last week he has done 111 bands. It takes AT LEAST 250 bands to be considered experienced in this procedure. By the time someone has done about 250 bands they have pretty much seen every complication out there, they have seen the films to every barium swallow showing weird things that happen, they have seen every weird anatomy, etc. My point is that your doc hasn't done enough bands to even have a track record.

Perhaps after he has reached his 250th band he might change his post op diet instructions, perhaps he won't. Nobody will know until that time comes. But the real bottom line here is that if you trust someone enough to trust them with your life during surgery, you should trust them enough to know they are doing what is right for your care after surgery. As I wrote earlier, at least 75% of slips are due to patients not doing what they are supposed to. With all things considered, I really don't understand why you tell someone that you see no problem with their not following their doc's instructions. I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

WasaBB, I think you are absolutely correct that you should follow your MDs instructions!

While I personally agree with you that 250 bands is a good number to be considered experienced, I thought I should point out that according to Inamed (the maker of the LapBand system) a surgeon is considered an "expert" and is cleared to proctor other surgeons in how to place the band after placing 100 bands themselves. That came straight from Don Mills at Inamed.

Would I rahter have a surgeon who has placed 350 bands than 100 bands, probably, unless the complication % rate is significantly higher for the surgeon with 350 than 100.

And here I was beating myself for the ONE Hershey Kiss I had last night. ;)

My doctor's instructions were low fat/low sugar/high Protein pre-op, Clear Liquids 24 hours before surgery, and 3 weeks of liquids (protein shakes ok) post-op, then I can move onto regular foods. I'm a little nervous about moving to real food again (though trust me, I can't wait. Getting tired of nothing but these things for meals).

I only have 4 days of liquids left, and I've been craving real food like crazy (specifically grilled cheese sandwiches and a Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme :faint:) but I've been forcing myself to be good! I put far too much money and time into this to screw it up by not doing what my surgeon instructed me to. :phanvan