Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was hoping some of you could help...I am 6 weeks out and just had a follow up apptmnt where they told me vomiting from food being stuck is not normal. I don't throw up everything. I can keep down yogurts and the like. I can even keep down eggs and chicken at times. But other times it feels very stuck and it comes up. Overall, I seem to throw up every other day or so. The dr gave me the weekend to try and eat small small bites very slowly and see if that was the problem. I had assumed it was just normal or maybe I was eating too fast or too big of bites but the dr says I shouldn't be doing this. I just don't know now. Thursday and Friday I did well without vomiting but today I couldn't digest some chicken and vegetables (a few bites). I feel like I'm not eating enough and would rather not eat and avoid all this but I know I have to. I'm just worried because I don't want another egd, which is what they want to send me for if my weekend didn't improve. Wondering if you think this is me not eating small enough bites (too much too fast) or is this a stricture? Is this common for a lot of you? I'm truly not eating much I know that...but maybe bites are too big.

It's not normal at all.

If I were you since solids are not going down just to get enough Protein in I would have Protein Shakes, Unjury chicken Soup if you have it, puréed foods until you can get a hold of your surgeon to tell them your still having a problem. I also wouldn't wait until Monday I would call right away to tell them.

You I believe have a real problem going on.

Let us know what happens and how you are feeling.

Like most folks I'll say follow your doctors advice, since he/she is the one who did your surgery, but from my experience (I'm 5 1/2 months out of surgery) this will happen if you don't chew food well or if you eat something that doesn't agree with your pouch. I never had any problems with chicken before surgery, since surgery me and chicken just do not get along, no matter how well I chew. I've learned to just not eat it.

Stricture is a possibility and if you doctor thinks that's it, follow their advice.

If it happens very frequently then something may be wrong. I have food get stuck now and again, but it's infrequent and I always know the cause (dry food, eating too fast, eating too much, not chewing well, etc). From what some people have said here in the past, it seems that it's not uncommon to have to repeat the dialation more than once if you have a stricture.

Question: do you trust your doctor? If so, listen to him and do as he says. If not, find another doctor. Never substitute the opinions of strangers for your medical professional's advice! We all have our own opinions and personal experiences but your own doctor knows YOU and your medical history. This experience is merely a bump in your road to better health. I hope you feel better soon! Best of luck to you!

I am only 4 weeks post op but the same thing happened to me ability 2.5 weeks after surgery. It was because I was eating to fast and not chewing enough. I now play a game on my phone in between bites and chew my food to death. They told me it should take a half hour to eat a meal, and it does. Hang in there and breathe.

I've got something stuck right now. A piece of sausage. It's been 2 1/2 hours and it's still stuck. What should I do? I've never tried to make myself throw up. How do I do that? I'm miserable

Get some Papaya enzyme chewable. They help a LOT with stuck foods.

Thanks for all the input. I must have a bigger problem as I'm struggling with almost all foods now. Will call the doc in the am. They are expecting to hear from me anyway.

I usually naturally vomit, but if you aren't, maybe try burping and it'll help. It's miserable. I feel for ya.

I'm 6 months out and this still happens to me every now again. Even though I hate throwing up, it usually does the job, and I'm fine afterwards. For me, this occurs if I eat too fast, I don't chew, or I eat something I know I'm not sussposed to ( like pizza):(

I've got something stuck right now. A piece of sausage. It's been 2 1/2 hours and it's still stuck. What should I do? I've never tried to make myself throw up. How do I do that? I'm miserable

My team suggests meat tenderizer may help w/stuck food. I never tried it. I ordered papaya enzyme chewables when I ordered my Protein from Amazon. I'm going to give it a try next time I have a 'stuck' episode.

I was never good at making myself puke so my first stuck episode lasted for about three hours. I later discovered if I drink something quickly when food is stuck, the whole works comes up - liquid and food. Then I need to eat soft foods for a day or so till my pouch forgives me. :-)

Thankfully I've never had this issue, but I know during my pre-op classes one of the things they stressed every meeting was small bites chewed until you really aren't swallowing, but the food just goes down (like thin applesauce).

They recommended to us to use baby utensils to keep the size of the bites appropriate and said no bites should be bigger than the tip of a finger.

I've followed those recommendations at all times, which I believe is part of the reason I haven't had any issue. If you are doing differently, this may be something to try.

I have this problem as well. My doc didn't seem overly worried about it. I guess I'm probably just eating too much or too fast, but it is usually with any kind of meat that it happens more often than not.

I had some really soft roast beef tonight and it's just sitting in my pouch like a rock. It hurts a lot so I'm considering just getting it out and eating a Quest bar instead. :(

An update: surgeons office sent me to my GI dr; he did an egd yesterday and I had a stricture at the anastomosis site. It was 8mm and should be 16-20mm. He dilated it to a 12, then in a month will dilate again to a a 16 or so. He said nothing but liquids would have gotten down...it was smaller than a pencil. So no wonder nothing would go down and I always had that stuck feeling. I'm so relieved that wasn't normal! I'm already getting food down 100% better. Feeling great today! Thanks for the help!