Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey y'all.. I am pre -op of just 7 days out. I am getting nervous .. How was your post op surgery? Did you have the port in your tummy ? ( my surgeon said I will) how was the pain.. I am such a worry wart!

It's so normal to be nervous. You're having the bypass? I'm not sure what port you are talking about... maybe you meant drain? I didn't have one, no catheter. I had practically no pain. I just had gas pressure in my chest and shoulders which is what I've had before after laprascopic surgery.

I was very tired the first 2-1/2 weeks or so -- but I had pneumonia and had to be readmitted to the hospital or I think I would have felt better sooner.

I only had tylenol in the hospital -- no other pain meds and didn't come home with any. I've had some "discomfort" now and then from he surgery -- not pain but just the feeling that tings are different in the tummy now. But, after 4 weeks, I'm so happy I did this... 25 pounds gone forever!

Worst part of the entire experience? For me, it was the IV. I have pitiful little flat veins and they collapse after about 20 hours of an IV, so I was in the hospital 6 days and had 5 different IVs. UGH! I'm SUCH a baby! lol

Ginger

Ginger snaps,

Thanks for replying :) I am having the bypass and yes I meant drain. It's so good to hear you didn't have to use pain meds! I am trying to not be too nervous and focus on the end result. Thanks again for the info!!!

Hi Stacyann,

My surgery was on June 30, 2014 and while I was not outwardly nervous the day I had surgery, my blood pressure said something totally different! I have never had high blood pressure at all, but the day of my surgery when they checked, it was 204! Little beepers went off! I realized I was internally scared, but had only found bariatric pal two days before my surgery.

After about 5 minutes of deep breathing and telling myself that so many people I knew had surgery with the Dr. I had also chosen, my blood pressure came down to 130/74 and I got a hold of myself! :rolleyes:

I had a drain and it did not bother me, but the last day it began to be a little sore. I had stopped taking pain meds and it was not painful - just sore. Because I was checking out that day they took it out.

I took a deep breath, clenched my tummy muscles and it was a breeze when they took it out. No pain.

The drain hole healed up very quickly, too! 7 days after surgery it was healed and is the size of a pencil eraser.

My surgeon used an anesthetic pack for my stomach. It was a pouch that I wore around my neck and two little bitty (and I mean super tiny) tubes delivered anesthetic directly to my stomach during my hospital stay. So I really felt very little, if any pain after surgery.

Once I came home, other than needing a nap in the afternoons and trying to make sure I walked, I really have had no pain. When I did have pain I found it was from becoming lactose intolerant - a very common issue after surgery. Lactose free milk is just plain gentler on your stomach and once I switched, it has been great.

I am due for my 2 week post op appointment in 5 days and other than drinking shakes for meals, I don't feel like I have had surgery. No pain, no discomfort. I know everyone's different, but I want you to know the my truth. I also had many friends and family praying for me and that feeling surrounded me as I took comfort in knowing I was cared for.

Keep asking questions and know that we are all in this together. (No high school musical song pun intended!)

Lissa

I was surprisingly not at all nervous the day of surgery. I had no port and hardly any pain. A little nausea and discomfort, but the nurses kept it well under control. I was on the morphine pump but I stopped using it after the first day because it was contributing to the nausea. The catheter was painless and only the slightest pinch when removing it. I was more uncomfortable because I had my period while I was there and couldn't use a tampon.

They sent me home with nausea medicine and pain medicine. I used the nausea stuff but never once opened the pain meds. At home I just used liquid Tylenol.

Edited by pookybear

I had no drains.

I was a pain meds for maybe a week but didn't take them regularly.

I was able to eat and drink fine afterwards.

Started taking my meds whole pills the day after surgery.

Just try to relax doing something fun to help calm you.

Good luck with surgery.

Ginger snaps,

Thanks for replying :) I am having the bypass and yes I meant drain. It's so good to hear you didn't have to use pain meds! I am trying to not be too nervous and focus on the end result. Thanks again for the info!!!

I had no drain. I was nervous also before my surgery (completely normal - who wouldn't be?). I was amazed at the low level of pain post-op. It hurt (more achy than sharply) but it was completely bearable. I used pain meds for about 4 days before stopping daytime use. I used them at night only for a few more days. In one week I was off them completely.

My gallbladder removal in December was way more painful by comparison and the pain lasted a longer period of time.

The gas pains were more painful in the first 5-7 days. Walking eases those a lot but it rained most of my first week so I could only walk around the house. :-)

Actually the part I was most nervous about before surgery was the drain! I have to say I hated having. It wasn't painful, just annoying. It really made me feel like it was holding me back. My surgery was June 17. Like many others the pain was very minimal. I took a total of 4 pain pills the first week home and haven't taken anymore. Just some Tylenol here and there. Good luck!