Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need a mentor / buddy to help me through this! If you're a teacher even better!

Hi there!

I'm looking for someone to help me through this journey! We are new to our area where we live and I'm far from friends and family. So I'm looking for someone that is willing to stay in contact through this journey with me and give me advice / help! I have lots of questions and there are lots of forums here but searching them is time consuming and I don't always have that time. I'd love to have someone who has reached their goal and more so someone who was close to my size when they began. (350lbs) I know my journey is going to be longer than a lot of people and I'd like someone who has been there! If you have the time let me know!

Thanks!

I don't meet your criteria but I will look for your posts and offer what encouragement I can. I just had my first nutrition appointment and am hoping to have surgery at the end of November...

Hi,

Unfortunately I haven't experienced this yet, surgery is scheduled for 7/22/14. I am a teacher and at close to the same weight at as you are. I looked at this forum because I feel I am going to need some support also. I am starting the pre-op. diet after I have slept. I am nervous, excited, fearful, anxious, the emotions are all over the place. So far I have felt very supported by the supported by all of the people on the surgeon's staff. I have attended some pre-operative support meetings and found them to be very encouraging. Wednesday is my pre-op doctor appointment and final tests, meeting with anesthesiologist. It seems like this has all gone so quickly.

I started at 346 and I am 193 now 9 months post op. You can do this if you put your mind to it!

I've had my ups and downs and I've had some stalls and I've cheated a little but stay focused. Planning and eating Protein and tracking your food is a huge part of being successful. If you have an I phone download my net diary and track every food you eat. Drink at least 64 oz Water and take your Vitamins.< /p>

The key to being successful is drinking 64 oz Water, taking your Vitamins, tracking your food, and eating at least 70 grams Protein daily.

If you have an I phone download my net diary and log your food daily. Eat your protein first. Stay away from bread Pasta and rice which were my favorites. Plan your meals so there is no room for era. I drink crystal light they have so many flavors you won't get tired of water. Good luck and remember when you can walk into any store and fit into size 12 it will all be worth it. I still have 42 more pounds until my goal weight but I will get there.

Go ahead with the surgery. It will be the best decision you make of your life. I couldn't be happier . I'm still in shock I'm this thin. I own 2 preschools and I only stayed home 4 days. I stayed in my office the 1st week back and the second week I was in classrooms but not lifting . I walked a lot and that helped. The Vitamins become a part of everyday and your body will crave meat. I didn't eat meat for 20 years and my body craves it know. It's strange but it's like my body knew it needed it.

Hi there!

Thanks for your reply! Looks like we will be close to the same place at the same time. My surgery is tomorrow morning and I'm scared to death to be honest but at the same time I'm really hopeful! For me it feels lonely...I have my husband and son (only 10) who have been great but that is about all the support I have right now. I haven't known my colleagues and all here long enough to feel comfortable sharing this with them..I might in the future. How is your preop diet going? I personally thought it was horrible. I'm already sick of Protein shakes and broth and the idea of 4 more weeks of them is a little daunting. But I will say this...the first four days were horrible and after that it wasn't so bad. I've lost 15 pds in 13 days so I guess that isn't anything to feel bad about. I'm not really hungry anymore which is strange. I did get a ride home with a friend the other day though and she stopped at McDonalds and bought a snack wrap and I almost died. It wasn't so much hunger as just the need to actually eat something rather than drink it. The sound of her over there crunching on lettuce was a killer. I've seen that a lot of people had different preop diets. My doctor's was liquid only. I cut out sugar and carbohydrates on my own just because it said I would have to after surgery and I figured why add that misery to the pile...better to go through that withdraw now. To be honest my worst fear is going back to school. I have to be back exactly 2 weeks later and I'm not sure how this is going to work. I know I have to sip all day but those drinks are nasty when they get warm so I guess I'll be investing in a fridge. I have a feeling managing to get all the fluids in is going to be a major challenge for me because I already don't want to drink them. I'll let you know how that goes. Let me know how you are doing. We can't exactly answer each other questions but we are definitely able to motivate one another! :-)

Hi,

Unfortunately I haven't experienced this yet, surgery is scheduled for 7/22/14. I am a teacher and at close to the same weight at as you are. I looked at this forum because I feel I am going to need some support also. I am starting the pre-op. diet after I have slept. I am nervous, excited, fearful, anxious, the emotions are all over the place. So far I have felt very supported by the supported by all of the people on the surgeon's staff. I have attended some pre-operative support meetings and found them to be very encouraging. Wednesday is my pre-op doctor appointment and final tests, meeting with anesthesiologist. It seems like this has all gone so quickly.

Thank you for this!!! It gives me so much more confidence to hear that!! How did you manage the preop diet. Any tips on things to get your Protein in. I'm already sick of liquid forms but I guess I need variety. Any recommendations for things to mix etc to make this easier??

Go ahead with the surgery. It will be the best decision you make of your life. I couldn't be happier . I'm still in shock I'm this thin. I own 2 preschools and I only stayed home 4 days. I stayed in my office the 1st week back and the second week I was in classrooms but not lifting . I walked a lot and that helped. The Vitamins become a part of everyday and your body will crave meat. I didn't eat meat for 20 years and my body craves it know. It's strange but it's like my body knew it needed it.