Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill tomorrow...getting nervous about it..tips?

Thanks weevie! I was doing well on liquids and mushies..today was first day on normal food...and I am swollen bad again...ugh! So I went back to mushies, but having a hard time with them. Guess I need to go back to liquids for a couple days... Who knew .5 cc would be so much more restrictive... Jeez!

I know, Junebug! I struggled a bit yesterday...and going back to mushies and shakes for a couple of days too. I'm having to really pay attention to chewing already. Hang in there, we'll get this!

I hope so...I can't even get mushed banana down this morning...so I guess it's protien shakes for me today. I don't get it...the swelling from surgery had been gone for awhile...and just adding a tiny bit to something that's been there for a month causes all this? What the heck?

I should say, I get things down...but mushies kinda hurt right now. I feel it gets hung up for a minute...then it goes down...sigh.

Edited by Junebug36

Yeah, it feels like a big bubble in your esophagus! That's how I felt sipping 1 oz of Water the day after surgery when I couldn't keep down liquids. I was fine 2 days after the fill...but the swelling is catching up. I need to listen to my band and just lay off solids for a few days. At least we know how our bands react to a fill, and can have a food regimen for the first few days. Keep in touch and let me know how you're doing!

Will do...so glad I'm not the only one going through this. Some people don't even feel their fills. I guess we are just a bit sensitive to it. How long were you told to be on liquids after your fill?

Hi all, thought i'd share my experience too :)

I was on liquid for almost a week after my fill and got a little bit panicked as i was barely able to drink Water. I couldn't figure out if i was just swollen, or whether the band hand been overightend, or whether i just needed to get used to it all more.

Looking now like it was the third option as the swelling has definitely had time enough to ease up (a full week), and i've discovered i CAN eat without being sick so long as i chew things to oblivion AND wait a few minutes between bites. That last bit threw me for a while as i thought i was already doing a good job of eating slower - but now after the fill it takes me almost an hour to eat a 10 ounce meal as i sometimes need to wait almost 5 minutes between bites to avoid feeling crappy.

May be that it is too tight, but it looks like the main issue really is adjusting my behaviour! Of a morning i can only drink one sip of Water at a time with a good long pause between each sip.

Thanks for sharing your experience! It really helps knowing what to expect with these things. @@brendan2014

I believe I was swollen...I was able to eat lowfat chicken stew last night. I didn't seem to have any issues. I do notice I am tighter in the mornings...by lunch tight, but not as bad...by dinner..it felt like I could eat whatever as long as I chewed it like crazy. So shake in the morning...mushies for lunch...and a regular whole food dinner...lol!

You should be able to eat a meal of about 1/2-3/4 cup within 20-30 minutes. It's very difficult. But if you're having to stop and wait...that may be your stopping point. Remember...you don't have to eat your entire meal (that is what a lot of us are having to relearn). If you haven't finished and keep eating till your meal is finished...you are leading into grazing, which can cause stalls. I believe if you're feeling full, that is your Band talking. Listen to your body and learn your soft and gard stops. As this is new to me, I think I have found them. My soft stop is when I take a deep breath. I listen, because often times one more bite could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

I can eat about a cup at a sitting every 4 hours. So I think it's where it needs to be. It is a learning curve when making my portions...I have tried to fix that using only cup sized bowls. It seems to work, and I get to finish my plate without guilt or discomfort due to taking more than my "fill"...pun intended...lol!

Weevigurl,

What happened at the office that made you have to get an unfilled? I was in today for my 4th fill and stayed in the office for a while drinking Water. The Water stayed down. Now I am at home and worried about the swelling. The last fill I had I was able to keep water down the first day but then after that I was vomiting all liquids. I am worried what will happen once I start to swell because today is Thursday and that puts me into the weekend. My next fill I made sure was scheduled on a Monday.

Hi bulawookie! Well, I was a problem child from the start. I was fine the day of surgery and for first 3 hours of liquids on the first day home. But then could mot keep any liquids down. My body swelled up so much that I was hospitalized for dehydration. I have a 10 cc band. My first fill was 4.5cc. But whole in the waiting room...could not keep the first Dixie cup of Water down...was just like before. Had to go back in ( I hadn't left the office yet) and ask for an unfill.

I keep going back and forth on bad swelling...waiting for this fill to settle in. I was able to eat a little bit of solids today after being so swollen yesterday all I could get down was Clear Liquids and broths.

Hey Junebug. Have called your surgeons office about this? Mine told me that if by the 2nd or third day, if the was problems getting back to solids.. you should go in for an unfill. You should be able to get down mushies at the least. I'm kind of worried about you. Also, it could be a possibility that you did too much early on after the fill and you stoma is irrirated. Then I would stick with liquids for a few days for swelling to go down. I would still call your Dr.

After going back to liquids and watered down mushies for a couple days, I can actually eat solids now! I think I just got irritated and swollen...I needed extra days to let it settle in apparently. So I'm okay :-). I'm kinda scared to get another fill after all that, but I don't think I need one, now.