Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yoga & the band! Any troubles??

Hi All,

I'm, a bit of a newbie at this and would like some advise if you have it......

Breakfast and lunch went down ok today, then afterwork I went to Yoga. Felt great, had 3 pieces (total) of salmon and tuna sashimi (raw fish without the rice) for supper and now I'm feeling incredibly stuck. I have been slimeing all night and PB'ing little mushy bits. I know I chewed well and its sashimi, soft anyway.

My question, has anyone had any troubles with getting stuck on mushy food after doing yoga? Could yoga be the reason the sashimi isn't going down?

Part 2 - Since its sashimi, do you think I am better off to try and stop PB'ing and let the pressure build up and possible push the food through?

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Suzie Q

I try to eat before yoga, even if just a Protein bar on the way. I found that I had problems after also. But I know some of the other class members go out to eat afterwards.

Our class is for bariatric patients, is at the hospital I had the surgery at and there are RNY, lapband, and pre-surgery or just overweight people trying to slowly and easily exercise.

Our instructor is actually the anesthesiologist for the bariatric group. He has been doing yoga for over 15 years, actively teaching for 5, and now even more into it. We have one lady that is almost 400 pounds and he shows her how to get the same stretch sitting down. I love the way he works with all of us and any of our personal needs.

Good luck!

Thanks sooo much for your reply, I was beginning to think I was the only one who experienced trouble after yoga. I think I will take your advise next week and eat a couple of hours before and just do the liquids after class.

As an update, I finished the PB'ing around 10 at night and was finally able to fall asleep. The next day I stuck to Clear Liquids and everything is good now.

This band thing is definitely a learning experience.

Suzie Q

Glad you are feeling better. I got to thinking afterwards and realize I no longer eat sashimi and I think it is because in early ages of banding I found that no matter how much I chewed it was never enough, no matter how tender. It just seemed to sit there forever in my pouch making me uncomfortable for several hours or come back up.

Try it again without yoga class and see how you do -- that may be part of the problem.