Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Curious about something....

Today was my last class at the center I am going through. Everyone that is having surgery on July 15 were in this class. I met a gal that had the sleeve surgery back in December. She said she went from 260 HW to 220 SW down to 186 LW. But now she is back up to 213. She said she is converting to the full bypass due to her sleeve healing incorrectly. She said the sleeve should be curved and hers healed like a 7. Gave her horrible acid issues. She said she eats a lot again. Makes me wonder if it's because of her deformed healing of the sleeve or is it that easy to stretch your stomach out to stop losing weight and gain it back.

Today is day three on liquid diet... It's been rough but hanging in there. Good luck to everyone on our pre-op liquid diet over the 4th of July weekend!!! We can do it!

I am having sleeve surgery July 9th.. I started my liquid diet today and the lack of caffeine is really effecting me today.. I hope gaining the weight back is not as easy as the women you mentioned in your statement.

Good Luck on your surgery and pre-diet drink..

In most cases, I feel an in person support group is a must have tool, Weight gain after surgery is due to one not following the rules after surgery. If one falls back into their old eating habits it is easy to sabotage progress. It’s always easier to blame the surgery vs. taking responsibility for one’s own actions. For example, we have a member of the support group I belong to that is gaining weight. She needs to start tracking her food consumption before the Nut or the rest of us can help her. However, she claims to not have time to complete a food log. In other words, she is in denial and not much can be done to help her. The surgery is only a tool; one still has to make the mental changes to be successful. It is not easy, but the healths benefits are great, but carry some draw backs that have to be overcome. In most cases weight gain is due to one not following the rules after surgery. If one falls back into their old eating habits it is easy to sabotoge themselves.

I feel something is very wrong with what the woman has to say to you because if she was facing problems like acid influx or facing problem with the healing of her gastric sleeve surgery,then she should have immediately returned to her surgeon for advise so that her problem did not get aggravated to what it is today.Maintaining your diet is in your hands and if she was not satisfied then she should have consulted the doctor and not waited all these months.

None of the surgeries are magic. My sister had bypass 15ish years ago and lost a lot of weight. She now weighs more then before. She did not follow the guidelines. As has been said, it is a tool and how you use it is up to you. If you do as you are directed by your bariatric team, you will have success.

Sure, you may fall of the wagon, but you start over. One thing I have read over and over is that you just need to keep going back to the basics - measure and track your food, get your Protein and Water, and listen to your surgery team.

You cant judge your success off of someone else's failure (maybe not the right word, but you get my drift)!

if you arent compliant, you will regain.

i have a friend who lost more than 150 pounds through diet and exercise. she's kept it off for 4 years. you dont need this surgery to maintain a significant weight loss. you need to make life long lifestyle changes.

if you dont address why you became fat in the first place, chances are, you will backslide and regain.

When that lady mentions eating a lot, she may well mean that she's eating all the time, as opposed to eating large meals.

The sleeve limits the amount we can eat at one time, but it does not prevent us from eating too often (grazing).