Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Week 6: May 27-31st Sleevers

Sweet 285 is my official weight it looks like so from may 30 surgery day 357 weigh in to oct 7 weigh in at 285. I was hoping for 275 but still a great birthday present for me :) so my total weight loss to this date is 72 pounds very excited . Hoping by jan I will be 250 zonepost-218935-14127615840782_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the well wishes. They worked! I am now feeling a LOT better, dare I say "normal."

I am down 65 lbs from surgery and I am really happy with what that looks like on my body. NSVs that made me smile include...

• Other day, we pulled up to the bus stop as the bus was at the corner but there was a line of about 10 cars. i jumped out and started running full on towards the bus with my 7 year old daughter. She yelled, "HOLD UP MOM I CANT RUN THAT FAST!" I was not out of breath and wheezing when I arrived at the end of the block.
  • I've been demoted from "Womens" to "Misses" section aka 85% of clothing stores are open to me now, not just Lane Bryant, Catherines and Avenue (none of which I really like the style of.) I also do not have to purchase specially sized bras that cost $50 a piece.
  • Had to buy an anniversary ring in my current size to hold my other rings off cause they literally were falling off. Darn, more jewelry.
  • A Male coworker, married and platonically friendly, saw me washing my Soup bowl in the kitchen and said "DANG you have lost a lot of weight! What is your secret?" "High Protein, low carb!" What made me smile more than usual is he only saw my back side to make him say that :)
  • I have collarbones and a dip at the bottom of my neck. They are concave. That's new.

Still getting notifications.

I am 58 lbs down been here for about 6 weeks now.

Does anyone care to list a "typical" food day for you? I am looking for new ideas. Getting tired of the same things all the time.

Also what is everyone doing for exercise these days?

This morning so far i have lost 82.5 lbs..at 221 i am now less heavy than my dad lol.

Anyways typical food day for me i am from canada so i dont have access to quite the same food as everyone: Breakfast greek yogourt 0 or 2% sprinkled with hemp seed, pumpkin seed and some granola with Protein, and later , actifruit blueberry juice. lunch is romain lettuce, celery, radish or bell peper with strip of ckicken breast, and either tzaziki or hummus, and nowadays i am able to add some fruits. Afternoon Snacks : a smart bar or almonds or a partial Protein Bar or a Protein Drink (premier protine from costco) Diner: if i am really good i will have spaghetti squash with a meet sauce i made from scratch ...or in general meet with veggies. Nite snacks : i will have some of my bf chips, but i try to go towards soy Beans or chick peas that feels like i sm having peanuts or something

To this day i have trouble eating bread, Pasta, rice a d quinoa which i love...i hope it stays that way,

on the weekend i eat less sensibly, because the routine is not as easy, than when going to work.

For exercice i got myself a jawbone UP 24, and i try to walk 10 000 steps a day becauce my work is extremely sedentary...its togh to do, and now i hsve change a bit with the cold weather i go on the treadmill 20 min with running intervals...however i hsve been bad this week and i have not been on the treadmill or outside at all :-(

I have to kick my butt in gear... My weight loss has slowed down, my average was over half a lb a day, i am now below that and it scares me very much, as i eat more and more.

I fear after the honeymoon period will be over and i dont lose how i will react...i have not have long stall, but just a general slow down

I just received a magic bullet, any suggestion as to what to prepare with that?

Niquee,

It sounds like you are doing great! I wish I had the daily structure that you have.

What about making some hummus. I like this recipe and I usually just make half at a time. I make it in the food processer. http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/best-basic-hummus-recipe/ I will sometimes snack on it with a sliced cucumber or toasted whole wheat pita bread.< /p>

I find I am sick of Protein Drinks for now but I am sure you could whip up something delicious.

Niquee,

It sounds like you are doing great! I wish I had the daily structure that you have.

What about making some hummus. I like this recipe and I usually just make half at a time. I make it in the food processer. http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/best-basic-hummus-recipe/ I will sometimes snack on it with a sliced cucumber or toasted whole wheat pita bread.< /p>

I find I am sick of Protein drinks for now but I am sure you could whip up something delicious.

Oh trust me, its not always right, in fact today i bought the chocolate for halloween, couldnt resist, i had 2 of them...

I too am really tired of the aspertam taste you find in protein drink

A question for you all, almost 5 months after surgery, how many of you still regurgitate or vomit?

I think the longest i went without doing it was 2 weeks...now i am back to once or twice a week

I rarely, if ever. Only if I eat too fast or too much. Maybe once a month

I have yet to vomit. Thank goodness! I rarely vomited prior to surgery even when really sick. Dietician and I had lots of discussions about learning where you're "soft" stop eating is.. Mine is a tightness I get in very upper stomach area. I try to eat slow so I can recognize that stop.

Today i did it at every meal...i am not sure what is the trigger. Indeed, eating too much and too fast will do it...or not managing the liquid intake correctly. When i feel the thightness its too late, i have to get ride of the food. Its not like vomitting, i know what you mean, i hate vomitting and i would do anything not to vomit...this is different, i dont get nausea. In the beginning it was awful, and my dietician said it was probably that the actual pressure in my stomack was just too much...i was not even able to get down Water i just felt like a bottle of champagne all the time, full of bubble.

My next question is also strange...but have you change the way you walk or stand? I mean now that you have lost weight your center of gravity is shifted (less butt, less stomack)... It seems my pelvic is freaking out about this and i end up at the chiro often because of that, even have lots of pain from sitting too much

I vomited a lot during the second and third months. Now its very rare. I do know what you mean about that feeling though. When I was vomiting pretty often, I have to admit that sometimes I was making myself to get rid of that feeling.

I have learned now when to stop or slow down so I don't get that feeling. I actually get a different feeling now when I know its time to stop. The food starts to taste bad. Have you noticed any changes like that? It could be a signal if you look for it.

Still stuck! 7 weeks now! When will this stall break??

I have to say though that I decided to take advantage of this stall and actually bought some clothes. I am loving the way clothes fit now :) and LOVE shopping the regular women section and buying what I want NOT what will actually fit. No more crazy ugly patterns. I have some really cute stuff and I am happy to strut around and take pics in them!

TMI vomit talk warning...

@@Niquee, my husband is about to hit his surgiversary next week after having a sleeve. And he regurgitates several times a week. In fact, and this is kinda weird but true, he uses it as a tool when he's out to eat with coworkers or in social situations with food as a way to clear the stomach if he gets full too early. While he can do it voluntarily, there are sometimes he just has to. Foodmush is it, no bile or stomach acid. We've talked to our doc about it, and while he recommends all the usual, eating slower, chewing more thoroughly, no liquids half hour before or after.... he also said that because it's not wreching or clenching the stomach muscles, it's just basically food backing up and out. Didn't say it was "good" per se but he wasn't overly worried about the long term effects. I'm concerned for the effects on his esophagus, because he had acid reflux before surgery and his esophagus was a little beat up. But, so far, while inconvenient most cases, it hasn't caused any other problems to date.

For me, I've only thrown up two or three times since surgery and it has been horrible, whole body wretching experiences. It makes my eyes and nose Water and my whole body hurts. So thankfully it hasn't happened often. I hope the "traditional advice" works somehow for you or that you can pinpoint the "trick" to your own situation.

Edited by devint

TMI vomit talk warning...

@@Niquee, my husband is about to hit his surgiversary next week after having a sleeve. And he regurgitates several times a week. In fact, and this is kinda weird but true, he uses it as a tool when he's out to eat with coworkers or in social situations with food as a way to clear the stomach if he gets full too early. While he can do it voluntarily, there are sometimes he just has to. Foodmush is it, no bile or stomach acid. We've talked to our doc about it, and while he recommends all the usual, eating slower, chewing more thoroughly, no liquids half hour before or after.... he also said that because it's not wreching or clenching the stomach muscles, it's just basically food backing up and out. Didn't say it was "good" per se but he wasn't overly worried about the long term effects. I'm concerned for the effects on his esophagus, because he had acid reflux before surgery and his esophagus was a little beat up. But, so far, while inconvenient most cases, it hasn't caused any other problems to date.

For me, I've only thrown up two or three times since surgery and it has been horrible, whole body wretching experiences. It makes my eyes and nose Water and my whole body hurts. So thankfully it hasn't happened often. I hope the "traditional advice" works somehow for you or that you can pinpoint the "trick" to your own situation.

thank you that is perfect advice i am exactly like your husband than...it doesnt hurt, it doesnt taste bad, there is no bile or stomach acide, just foodmush.

Has anyone started to experience "weird" side effects you didn't hear about beforehand?

I was a little bit of a researchaholic before surgery, looking up mortality rates and all the possible complications so losing hair and getting flappy skin and getting dehydrated all the time I expected and can deal with...

But lately I'm starting to experience lesser-talked-about whole-body side effects that are hitting me out of left field. Like the fact my eye prescription has drastically changed and I need to get new glasses. Just had new ones made 5 months ago, it's the fat loss behind my eyes changed the curves of my eyes. Also my ears get forever-open eustachian tubes because I've lost fat around my inner ears, and i can hear myself breathing inside my head really loudly. The only way to fix it is to put my head between my knees, and this happens like a half dozen times a day. Awkward. Why doesn't my body pull the fat from my still very large rump or belly?? Why the head? So weird.

Anybody else getting little surprises, hopefully nicer than mine?