Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advil pm, yikes are we allowed?

I just took 2 Advil pm. I haven't been sleeping well and didn't want to take a pain killer just to sleep? How big a mistake is this! Feel so stupid.

2 Advil shouldn't cause any ulcers but I do recommend getting them out of your house. Tylenol is not an nsaid. Don't feel stupid! This is a learning process and takes time. One day at a time, one sip at a time, one bite at a time. Hang in there! We've got this!!

P.s. ulcers is the reason our doctors say no to NSAIDS. Aspirin, Excedrin, Advil are all examples of nsaids. The bottle should clearly state if a medication contains any nsaids.

As far as my doc is concerned (20+ years of doing sleeves) it's not a problem at all, and he even recommends their use as soon as the post-op narcotic pain relievers are no longer appropriate. The ability to use NSAIDs where appropriate is one of the fundamental advantages of the VSG (and DS) over the RNY; What does your doc recommend?

The no-NSAID admonition is basically an RNY thing as that procedure has specific weaknesses that preclude their use, which don't apply to the sleeve based procedures like the VSG or DS. As a class of drugs, they shouldn't be taken lightly even by "normal" people, and consistent use of NSAIDs should be done under the supervision of an MD, but in that respect, we of the VSG persuasion are not significantly different from normal, non-WLS people.

While we should always seek guidance for medical issues from our surgical team, for those whose docs advise against NSAIDs, it pays to check with your doc periodically as they build more experience with the sleeve as their recommendations will likely be changing over time to be more consistent with their more sleeve-experienced peers.

Tylenol pm would be better for you

Can you not sleep because of pain or just because you can't sleep? If it's the later, just take Benadryl. That's the ingredient in Advil PM that makes you sleep anyways, and then you avoid the NSAID part altogether.

"As a class of drugs, they shouldn't be taken lightly even by "normal" people, and consistent use of NSAIDs should be done under the supervision of an MD"..... Very true. A good friend of mine had taken NSAIDS for years for various aches and pains (just like most everyone else). One day, out of the blue, he had a severe allergic reaction to a dose. He had to be rushed to the ER and even stopped breathing in the ambulance on the way there. Then the same thing happened to my own doctor after using Voltaren, a topical NSAID gel for his knee ( which he's used several times before). Neither of them can EVER take NSAIDS again. It's a crazy thing that can happen. I cut down my NSAID use drastically at that point (even before I was considering VSG) and just sucked it up through a lot of pain issues I would have previously popped a couple Advil down for.

Advil and Tylenol PM have the active ingredient from Benadryl I believe that is what makes you sleep. So, skip the Tylenol part and just take Benadryl if you do not have pain.

My doc said not to use advil on a regular basis, but occasional use should not hurt my sleeve. He advised using only the advil liqui-gel caps. I take benadryl almost every night, for allergies AND to help me fall asleep. It also helps prevent the morning nausea from drainage that I tend to have this time of year.

I take liquid tylenol for headaches and tylenol pm if i have a headache at night....i was told in 2005 no NSAIDS when i was banded now I am sleeved 2014 i was also told no NSAIDS! Walmart carry a version of both.