Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to change habits pre-surgery is proving hard for me

It's been one week since I met with my surgeon and his team for my first appointment. I was given a list of habits to adopt pre-surgery to make it an easier transition post-surgery. This list is now hanging on my frig, and my plan is to check them off as I achieve them.

Well, I selected what I thought would be the easiest to start with, and I'm having a really tough time. I am trying to take small bites and chew my food completely, and to not drink while eating and take tiny sips when I do drink.

These two are proving to take a lot of concentration, and the truth is, I probably should have started with mindful eating. I eat two meals a day at my desk while working, and dinner in front of the tv. OK, I hear it. THIS HAS TO STOP. I can't really change the way I eat if I'm not paying attention to eating!

Sigh. I plan to succeed, so I guess I better get myself eating mindfully immediately. I've tried this in the past, and it actually makes me sad. I am so BORED just eating. But I have about 3 months before my surgery, and I will master this by then! If anyone has any tips that have helped them with this step, please share.

AAAGGGGHHHHH.

OK, I really needed to get that out. I feel better now. :) Nobody told me this was going to be easy... au contraire, all I've read on here is that it's NOT easy... time to face the music.

I am very curious about what others might say to you. I'm in a similar situation. I've started by drinking 64 oz of water/crystal light every day--a totally new habit for me. I've also cut my 3 cup of coffee habit back to one, with a goal for being caffeine-free by mid-August (my surgery is 8/26).

I've started to think more about chewing, and you're right--it is really difficult. I find that my jaw gets tired and (tmi) I get more food stuck in my teeth. I guess the upside is that I'm flossing after every meal! I haven't started avoiding fluids with food yet, but that is another goal.

The boredom while eating is something very familiar to me, too! I don't know why--food is such a pleasure, and yet I wolf it down while reading or on the computer all the time! I don't understand the habit, and yet I know it's a large part of my weight problems in the first place. Why do I do it?

Best wishes to you moving forward!

I started several months before as well

My start was building up to the no drinkin up to 30 minutes later.

The next biggee my one coke a day had to go. I really miss seltzer Water so desperately. The coke not so much at all.

Then I got rid of bread, Pasta etc

Then last was the chewing believe it or not. That was the hardest. Doesn't seem so but made me feel like a cow chomping on grass all day.

Take heart. At least for me, pre-op was the WORST part! Depending on a million others for their recommendations, insurance approval, etc., all while extremely stressed out and trying to change your lifestyle. Made me feel very... out of control. So what can you do? Establish healthy routines. Exercise. Log your intake and burn in an app like MFP. Find a face to face support group in your city. Know that this "hardest part" is temporary and it won't be long until you are on the other side, fighting (at least in the beginning) to get enough Water and nutrition in to recover from surgery. Keep your eye on your goal and you'll be on the other side before you know it!

The changes I made pre-op:

Established a walking schedule

Gave up caffeine and diet soda (this was huge for me)

Added 1 Protein supplement per day to my diet in the beginning

The month prior to surgery 2 Protein supplements per day for Breakfast and lunch, healthy Snacks when I needed them, plus a high protein dinner to shrink my liver pre-op

I could not master the not drinking with meals ahead of surgery but found that post op, it just makes me uncomfortable so the transition was easy.

Edited by bikrchk

That's a good idea to get a head start on those new habits. It's one of the best things we can do for ourselves now. Good luck and hope all goes well for everyone :)

It is hard and it will take a toll on you. I am 2 weeks post op and I can't be more happy. I was sleeved 6-18-2014. I am still trying to break the bad habits. With the support of my husband and my family I am doing it. Already lost 20 lbs. pray to God and He will help you thru. Prayers being with you.. Hugs from Alabama...

I am with you on this one! It's hard.

I am supposed to be practicing drinking one ounce of Water over 15 minutes, abstaining from caffeine and any kind of carbonated beverage (diet soda is currently a vice of mine), exercising and of course, losing weight. The drinking the Water thing isn't too bad, but I could see how it would be hard if you had to do it 24-7. Practicing is far different from having to do it all day every day for days on end when your stomach is still sore and swollen from being cut and stapled.

Yeah, I drink a can or two of diet soda a day, have caffeine here and there (drinking a fat free, sugar free iced coffee as I type this) and I have yet to do any more exercise than riding my bike to work (about a mile) and doing work around our property. And I have gained one pound since my very first doctor's appointment about 1 month ago.

I had Taco Bell over the weekend and Jack in the Box and I are recent acquaintances, although I am glad to report we are not best friends.

I know what I need to do. I know I cannot continue on like this, especially after surgery. it is up to me to do the right thing. I guess I am trying to "get it all in" before I "can't" anymore. That mindset is the one I must rid myself of.

I want to be successful and I know success starts now, not after surgery. It's just hard getting there.

i would reframe that. try telling yourself you are *practicing* this new habit. you are practicing becoming mindful about how you eat. it takes at least 6 weeks to form a new habit, so dont give up so soon. after my surgery i thought i would be impossible to not drink with meals. but its second nature now. if you could change on a dime, you wouldnt need this surgery.

....food is such a pleasure, and yet I wolf it down while reading or on the computer all the time! I don't understand the habit, and yet I know it's a large part of my weight problems in the first place. Why do I do it?

Best wishes to you moving forward!

I have elevated food to a pleasure-centric status and often wonder why I have done this because the pleasure is just temporary.

If doctors could "cure" the mental part of this disease, we wouldn't need surgery.

It really IS hard at t he beginning...the reason why you're told to do this now is so you won't be in such a shock post-op, when these changes will be a way of life...trust me, once you reach post-op, you'll appreciate the trouble you're going through now. Once you are post-op and have no choice but to adopt these new habits, you'll simply be practicing what you've learned. If you're like most of us, you WILL slip into your old habits every now and then, and then you'll see why you can't because you'll feel the results. Then after awhile when you start losing and seeing the 'fruits of your labor' so-to-speak, you'll see that everything you're doing and going through will all be worth it in the end!!!

i would reframe that. try telling yourself you are *practicing* this new habit. you are practicing becoming mindful about how you eat. it takes at least 6 weeks to form a new habit, so dont give up so soon. after my surgery i thought i would be impossible to not drink with meals. but its second nature now. if you could change on a dime, you wouldnt need this surgery.

Thank you for the advice! Makes a whole lot of sense. :)

The not drinking with meals was the hardest one for me. It's still difficult sometimes, especially with the amount of sodium in some foods. I really, REALLY want a drink. I drink only Water, and on occasion Gatorade G-2. The coffee, I had right up until the day before surgery. I cut back to a single cup, but I couldn't give that up (plus, I used it to help control my Migraines. Which, oddly enough, I have had next to no caffeine post-surgery, and no migraines either. Touch wood)

The chewing was hard at first, and I still find I have some trouble with it, since I'm eating soft foods and most of it really doesn't need 20-30 chews to be complete mush. But I still do it because I don't want to fall back into bad habits of wolfing food down (especially since it freaking HURTS to eat too fast). But I do tend to read or play a video game while eating. Why? Because it helps me slow down at this point. If I put my fork down and read a paragraph or two, it helps me space out my eating a little better. YMMV.

As others have mentioned, the more prep you do pre-surgery, the easier it is post-surgery.

I was sleeved on May 29th. The big thing I did pre-op was quit diet coke. It was hard but I knew I couldn't deal with the caffeine headaches and withdrawals along with all the other changes.

Once you have the surgery the consequences teach you. If you do not chew your food well enough it sits kind of stuck by your heart and doesn't feel good. You learn to take smaller bites and chew well. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it.

My advice would be to try to make it second nature to drink a lot of Water or crystal light (whatever you think you might tolerate best) as a first step, cutting out the diet soda or soda and replacing it. The other things were really hard to incorporate ahead of time for me; then again I only had about a week between approval and the surgery, so I didn't have a lot of time to change things up.

The drinking and eating thing won't come into play as earlier as the others. Of all of the habits, it is still the one that has repercussions for me when I don't follow it. Actually, the good news is that many of the things that you think you won't be able to follow seem like second nature. I was shocked the first time I went to a restaurant and didn't down multiple drinks of unsweetened iced tea. I was the one who always could finish 3 or 4 20-30 ounce drinks at a meal. Now I drink about a quarter to half while waiting for the meal and that's it. Good luck!

I am just starting out so my Nut asked me to pick two changes to begin. I chose to eat Breakfast, cut out soda, and drink my coffee black. (Ok, I picked three.) She also gave me Vitamins to order and recommended I start trying various Protein supplements to see what I prefer. We are starting out small and will add more changes as we move closer to surgery. I really appreciate her support in trying to help me ease into these changes. I feel so much relief. I can do this!