Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

maintaining..now that you are a few years out

So, I find myself in an interesting situation weight wise. I made my goal of 158 in Feb 2013 - and have been pretty determined to stay UNDER that. Most of the time I have been in the mid 150s, but got down to about 150 by Feb 2014 and was content there. I had an (unplanned) loss of hunger/desire to eat and lost another 10 pounds this last spring - actually over a period of about 3 weeks or so. It was a bit worrisome and alot of effort went into finding out if anything was "wrong" with me so I had tests, bloodwork etc etc - turns out I was lonely and didn't like eating alone. ha (I come from a big family and had never lived alone until pretty recently and then a chain of events occurred... and I guess my emotional state killed my appetite and drive to eat)

At the time I didn't care that much about how I looked because I felt like crud. Side note - any of you that are feeling crappy, consider that maybe you are not eating often enough (sustain blood sugar) and not eating enough healthy carbs (sustain energy). I certainly did not do it intentionally, you get used to eating so little (due to the original loss of appetite) that it becomes the new normal and it is hard to get restarted. I was very motivated to feel good again, but I can see where it would be easy to stay in the bad (under eating) cycle.

Now that I feel good again, I realize, I like how I look at 140! I was shopping at my favorite discount store - Ross - and was buying shorts in the misses section. I bought the two smallest they had (without going juniors)- non stretch name brand size 4 so I guess that is really my size now - and it made me realize there was a time when i don't think Ross had shorts big enough to fit my 26/28W butt.

I like being this size even though I need to regain some muscle mass/strength as combined with my gym injury back in February with this little "episode" I have basically given up my strength and fitness routine and I am committed to returning to it. I am still active on my farm and with my horses, do a little hiking etc, but I have lost fitness ground.

anyway, I am alot better, my appetite is back and my son - 6' tall big eating son -is home from college. I have gained back 2 pounds in the last 2 weeks and find my appetite to be not only increasing but the Dave's killer organic bread, red potatoes, Peanut Butter and ice cream back in the house (all my weak spots) have been calling my name. i also have been hanging out with a new friend who is a big eater - very food oriented which helped me when I didn't want to lose more weight as ate together a few times a week, but now.... more of a challenge.

So, I recognize I am at a cross road. Returning to intense exercise is likely to trigger appetite even further. I need to get a handle on my environment changing (kiddo back home mainly). I need to decide how committed I am to being this new weight as I suspect it will take 6 months before it is a comfortable maintainable weight (new setpoint?)

I do feel like it is a great weight for me Healthwise and all that. My measurements are great, clothes fit great all that stuff - it is a question of how hard will it be to sustain it. I am 2.5 years post op and think I am just approaching the typical "bounce up" time frame. Trying to make conscious decisions about managing my weight, health, food and exercise rather than just letting it happen willy nilly.

Suspect many vets have similiar decisions to make, where to maintain, are those last "vanity" pounds worth it? Is it just vanity or is it really a healthier weight? Is it realistic to maintain here or will I find it pretty similar to maintaining at 150? My main thing is that I want to be deliberate so I don't wind up on a regain cycle ... i guess the thing many of us fear a bit.

Great post!

I'm more worried about eating and getting healthy than I am the weight. The doctors worry about the weight. That's why I'm not well ... they're either not worried when they should be because they don't know what they're looking at or don't know how to figure it out because they're so stuck on weight they don't get the symptoms.

I completely relate. When I felt so awful and a friend of mine told me that I looked great and I should try to maintain "right there". My reply was something along the lines of "thanks, but I feel like sh*t, so I don't really care how I look."

My situation is different in that according to very extensive labs, my health is outstanding. I didn't wind up getting scoped because in truth, I didn't have any clear symptoms pointing to a physical problem with my stomach and time has sort of proven that.

Now that I feel better and have a strong appetite, more energy etc. is when a person even has the ability to think about the kinds of questions i posted. I really don't understand your health struggles, but i do get that you are really trying to be healthy and not so worried about some of this other nonsense.

The old saying is that without your health you have nothing... has some merit. Feeling good is the key, after that, everything else is icing on top.

Great post!

I'm more worried about eating and getting healthy than I am the weight. The doctors worry about the weight. That's why I'm not well ... they're either not worried when they should be because they don't know what they're looking at or don't know how to figure it out because they're so stuck on weight they don't get the symptoms.

My biggest concern is gaining it back. I don't care what some bandsters say about not being able to gain it back, I see it all the time on this forum. I know for sure that if I get careless, I'm going to balloon back up again.

When I listen to my band, it tells me when to stop but if I don't listen, I'll overeat and since I have no fills, I'm not worried about upchucking or getting stuck.

I weigh once a month because I don't want to trade one obsession for another but it's hard because I still don't feel totally comfortable with 'regular' eating. I never want to worry about eating out or having a drink or two so I just need to be aware of what and how much I put in my mouth. Easier said than done at times though...food addiction is a tough one for sure.

I seem to have a healthy appetite most of the time and thus am struggling to maintain. I've still not made it to my "goal" weight and am resigned that it may never happen. As long as I stay where I am now I'm OK with it. Still trying to figure out the right balance of food and exercise. Last summer I rode my bike a lot and I was loosing fairly steadily but the last two bike rides I've taken have brought on a sciatica attack and I'm really frustrated that my body doesn't like my idea of fun and good e exercise. Plus I lost my part-time job at the gym and thus cancelled my membership there. They fired my boss so my position was also eliminated. I had planned to quit anyway but not til mid-August. I miss my friends there and am kinda bummed. All this just makes me want to eat. Sigh. Sometimes I wish I had no desire to eat but I know that isn't truly healthy. It's just so frustrating that after going thru surgery and losing 100lbs nothing has changed in terms of my basic behavior around food except I can't eat as much as I used to. Nor do I want to really so in that respect it's an improvement at least. Seems like the struggle with food and weight is unending.

Ah, the unending struggle with food and weight.

All my friends are slim and healthy. And they also have an unending struggle with food and weight. The difference between them and me is that they struggled just a little bit harder than I did. I used to think they were nuts -- why worry about your Fitbit steps when you're 5'6" and weigh 125 pounds? Why write down all your food in My Fitness Pal when you're 5'5" and weigh 130?

I'm thinking a bit differently about all this now. And I am (finally?) appreciating that the Food Gods aren't mean only to me. They are tough on everyone.

It's really hard. It's so nice to be at our lowest weight, but maintaining that is not easy for most of us.

I really want to stay at this weight, but all I have to do is vary a tiny bit, and I am up 4 lbs. 4 will turn into 8 in no time at all if I don't watch everything I eat.

I think rather it's with WLS or old fashioned dieting, maintaining seems to be the hardest. I'm at my goal weight but I have to work to stay here. With my sleeve I have lost 125 pounds and I'm happy at my current weight;). I have found that if I don't stay focused I can gain. If I get lazy and don't keep up with my fitness or don't watch my food choices I see a gain. I know I will always have to be diligent if I want to keep my weight off. I have a set bounce range to keep myself in check.

I don't know if I now count as a vet (1yr. +) but in my 1yr. appointment the Dr. actually emphasized waist measurement instead of weight amount and BMI #. She said to watch and go for the <35" rule as a woman. Waist measurements smaller than this are a better indicator of health than the weight. Don't know how y'all feel about this, but just an FYI.

Yeah, waist measurements are important. And I understand the ratios too. My waist is about 29" so I am okay on that front, but it is really more about finding a comfortable, maintainable weight....now that my appetite has returned I am finding it to be work to maintain at 140. It would probably help if I resumed my workout routine. :)

I think that is MUCH more smarter than anything else I've seen.

I have edema (swollen legs) which is going to show on the scales (and by the indentation of the compression stockings). You can see the collar bones and the top part of the rib/breast bones just beneath that. Notwithstanding the 8 pounds of excess skin I carry.

I am "normal" weight and BMI. You don't get low alkaline phosphatase like I have unless you are malnourished.

I had everything normal (prealbumin was bottom normal) and then lost 4 pounds in 5 days and my prealbumin dropped 5 points in 2. No other signs that I went cachetic from malnutrition 6 months after my surgery.

Everyone is unique. I wish that all docs would keep that in mind.

Yeah, waist measurements are important. And I understand the ratios too. My waist is about 29" so I am okay on that front, but it is really more about finding a comfortable, maintainable weight....now that my appetite has returned I am finding it to be work to maintain at 140. It would probably help if I resumed my workout routine. :)

What are the correct ratios? I would like to see if I fit the ratios...

Swim I have visible ribs and o am normal and healthy weight. Think it's sometimes a body type thing.

post-122684-0-70990300-1405286821_thumb.png

[ATTACH]46357[/ATTACH]

My upper chest is even bonier. My lower front chest also has visible ribs.

post-122684-0-24948000-1405286804_thumb.png