Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

AM I the only one on this forum that has had surgery in the last 6 months and is having TROUBLE WITH WEIGHT LOSS?

Dear friends,

I have tried and tried.. but I still remain at the same weight loss that I was 8 weeks ago. I do care for a husband with Alzheimer's and i'm loaded with arthritis, so I do not go to a Gym.. So I did get some appts.. for Acupuncture.. which I find relaxing. and she is working on my arthritis pain so that I can move more. I will be signing up for Thi'chi.. which I could do 5yrs ago.. I thought I would try it again. I have started DRINKING 16oz of Water as soon as I rise in the AM... so i'm getting that in, but through the day I might not get enough. The scale moves like 3lbs up. than in two days it will read 2 1/2 lbs down. So i'm the same for the past 8 weeks.. I'm 61yrs old, and a care taker for my husband with Alzheimer's.. I have to do EVERYTHING in the house. He can't even make his own coffee, with a kerig pot pods... HE CAN'T work the remote control , or the flip phone that he has. His Decline is rapid.. and he is only 65yrs old...

Someone GIVE me some IDEAS to work with. I did not let someone cut into my stomach for it not to work... PLEASE HELP!!

JewelJ

Hi jewelj, can please list what you are eating in a day? And I'm kinda confused, was your surgery 8 wks ago or when? What has been your TOTAL loss since surgery?

2blessed

NO, my surgery was in Feb 2014 . total is between 18 and 20lbs.

Hi JewlJ, You are an amazing woman! You are battling your own illness/pains, taking full time care of your husband, and working to improve your health....you have a very full plate. I can tell you that you are NOT the only one on the forum who is not losing weight...and I am so sorry for your frustration (consider yourself hugged). Take a deep breath....and then another. Your body is under so much stress right now, and maybe it just can't cooperate. Check in with your NUT to make sure there haven't been any misunderstandings about what your program should be at this point....and then follow the program. Maybe make a pact with yourself that you are not going to weigh for a couple of weeks so that you can relieve that stressor from your life...your body will release the weight when it can.

Sorry for all the stresses in your life. I can relate to some extent as I care for my husband who has a debilitating neurological condition. He's more able than your husband I think, but I do all the cleaning, errands, etc as well as being the only earner. It's hard to make time for oneself, but we must take care of ourselves in order to continue to care for our loved one(s).

Are you tracking what you eat? It doesn't take too much time and is so helpful in helping understand what's going on. if you do see a nutritionist it will help them better understand what's going on as well. Myfitnesspal is a great tool. It could be that you're eating too little, or maybe not the right foods. If that doesn't feel doable to you, consider sharing a typical day's meals/snacks here and I'm sure people will be able to provide some suggestions that might help.

Wishing you the best in finding ways to take care of yourself!

May god bless you. You have a lot on your plate. Sometimes stress can be a factor in weight loss. I to go up and down I hope things get better

Hi jewelj,

I agree with what the others have said--stress is so tough on our bodies, especially as you are recovering from this major weight loss surgery . But you have taken a couragous step in reaching out to friends here on BariatricPal. Like others have suggested, please give us more detail about what you are eating in your typical day so we can help. But meanwhile, as you know, the MOST IMPORTANT is to be getting your Protein (60-80g or whatever is recommended by your surgeon) and your 64 oz of water/liquid every day. And I could not agree more that taking care of yourself FIRST is what you must do in order to be able to best care for your husband. I don't mean to make that sound "so easy" because I know it is not.

You really haven't had a lot of time and opportunity yet since your surgery that it takes to do all these lifestyle eating habits changes with everything else that is on your plate. And all these adjustments take time. Be gentle with yourself and keep posting here and you'll get ideas to help you learn to cope better day by day.

Take care.

def go see your surgeon, nutritionist and your PCP. you need to let them help you with this. you esp need to get treatment for stress. and the surgeon and nut should know what is happening with you so you can start losing again. and to find a respite program for you. someone who can come in a few hours a week to be with your husband. his insurance should pay for this. get help and support as much as possible.

I want to thank you all for posting, well wishes and SUPPORT. iT is very hard, and my Surgeon does know, and the NUT... Their are two NUT in the office. one told me to do 1000 cal a day. the other told me last visit to do 800 cal. It is so hard to fix for him, than do me... I like oatmeal in the morning.. So I do a surgar fee packet.. with a table spoon of Low Cal ,surgar fee Peanut Butter.. to add more Protein. I do start the day with 16oz of Water. 30min after Breakfast I try to get a nice cup of coffee. "its the only one I care about".. Than some errands, and if it is too late for lunch, I will do a Protein Bar, Or small 4oz cottage cheese with some raw carrots. than another Water... When dinner comes I make for everyone. So they all get dinner plate. I get a lunch plate, and I only take the meat.. AND SOME VEGGIES... i THAN WAIT TO do more Water. At 7pm i'm looking for something... I will make myself some coffee, and do a Protein bar... or some yogurt, with Granola in it.. Adds more protein...

If I'm having Lunch.. I will open a whole can of tuna and eat it just plain, with Lo CAl Mayo... Might have some raw carrots.. Or sometimes for Lunch I will make a 1/2 sandwhich.. and eat an apple.

I have never tried FITNESS PAL... BUT i WILL TRY IT.. MAYBE IT WILL HELP ME...

i THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH.. I'm still trying and pushing...JewelJ

So sorry for your stresses!! Try and get in more Fluid. Doesn't have to be plain water! Try flavored waters or add flavored drops.