Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Must have items for trip?

Hey guys/gals,

What are some must have items that you brought/are going to bring/wish you would have brought along with you on your trip?

I see Gas X strips mentioned often, small pillow, heating pad for your back.. anything else?

A robe...bring a robe because the nursing staff will have you up and walking all over the place.

I took CD player and lots of music, but I never used it. I just watched tv and slept.

Chapstick.....your lips are going to dry

My ipad, phone, chargers, Powerade zero and K2O packets to add to Water, Loose fitting pants (I was in sweats the whole time), slip on shoes, a hat so I didn't have to mess with my hair, GasX, cash for tips and shopping. I was in the hospital less than 24 hours then I was up shopping and sightseeing.

A sturdy duffle bag stuffed into your carry on bag in case you decide to buy souvenirs and such that won't fit into your carry on and need to check a bag. That way you don't have to buy a bag while in Mexico.

Audio books!

Possibly liquid pain medication. I have heard they don't really do narcotic pain meds down there. I plan to take some with me just in case - and only take it with Dr.s permission of course. One lady, who did not go to the surgeon I chose, said she was miserable without pain medication and mad they didn't give it to her. That said, most people seem to do just fine with whatever they give down there. I've forgotten what it is called. The reasoning for not giving them is sound - for safety, they want to know if you feel pain beyond normal. I can understand that but the lady was so miserable I have decided to take some with me.

Edited by Travelmego

Exactly why I asked this question.. I knew there would be some things that I would forget or not even think of. @@Travelmego, I was watching a YT video earlier and the girl mentioned have a little cash to give out tips so I'm glad you mentioned it as well. I wasn't sure if that was just her experience or a common thing that no one really mentions.

@@Kindle, you can bring bottled drinks on the plane with you? I wasn't aware that you could take drinks with you. That was one of my questions to ask the coordinator or whomever I speak with Monday, was wheter or not the hospital had a filtration system.

I think it was Kindle who reminded you about the extra cash for tips. Bring small bills for tipping the bell hops, housekeeping, driver to and from the airport, the wheelchair/cart person at the airport if you choose to have a wheelchair/cart post surgery, etc.

Just so you know, most people tip their coordinators (if they are in Mexico with them) at the end of the trip. For the group with my surgeon, people usually tip the coordinator $100.00 - some more and some less. He apparently goes above and beyond and takes people sightseeing and everything. So, if your coordinator is there with you a lot and helping you out - you might want to consider a good tip for them. So, like $100 for the coordinator and another $100 in small bills for smaller tips with other people and incidental purchases.

I don't think we can bring drinks (over 3 oz.) on the plane unless we buy them after going through security. Perhaps the airport has Powerade in one of the convenience stores. I think liquid medications with proper documentation are exempt from the 3 oz. rule but I am not sure on that. The idea of bringing stuff to mix in Water is a good idea. I think the hospitals and hotels give you bottled water to drink.

Edited by Travelmego

The Powerade zero and K2O I brought were powder packets to add to bottled Water because I figured we couldn't go through security with full bottles of anything. Turns out you can...at least I did. While in Mexico I bought a couple of bottles of pedialyte at Walmart (basically because I liked the flavors...mango and coconut). I figured the worst they could do is make me throw them out. At security, I explained about my surgery and diet restrictions, they stuck the bottles in their fancy "anti explosive/dangerous liquid" scanning device and let me pass with two full liters. But I suggest the powder packets just in case ;). You should also be able to get Lifewater or Vitamin Water or bottled water or Gatorade after you pass through security. If you are allowed full liquids at that point, I found a lot of the convenience shops in the airports carry Muscle Milk.

As for at the surgical center (Obesity Control Center), they have filtered water and the Marriott provided bottled water. I tipped all the waiters, bell hops and housemaids a couple bucks each time. We had the same driver for all three days, so I gave him one big tip at the end ($50 between my sister and I....he was super nice.)

Oh yea, someone said she took a power strip with her and that she used it a LOT to charge computer and phones at same time. Someone also suggested a light jacket because it can get cold at night. Maybe a little tube of suntan lotion.

What not to take: I would leave anything dear that you would hate to lose at home like wedding ring, also anything that could be a hassle to replace like extra credit cards, keys, etc.

Edited by Travelmego