Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there! I just wanted to introduce myself. I just joined, my name is Emma, I'm from Montgomery, AL, and my surgery date is scheduled for July 21. I'm young, just 27, and am otherwise healthy. I want to stay that way. It's like a switch turned on and I am finally ready to take control of my life and work towards a healthier lifestyle. I thought I could do it on my own but this community seems so nice and helpful I just couldn't resist.

Now onto a quick question. I am a soda fiend, but I understand I will have to stop drinking them after the surgery. I've managed to wean myself off 2 or 3 regular Coke's a day to just one 8 ounce glass of Diet Coke every other day. My cravings are still there though and they're pretty bad. Do any other soda fans here have any advice on kicking the stuff for good?? Thank you so much and I look forward to meeting and interacting with everyone during this new chapter in my life! :)

LOVED me some Coke Zero.......just gave it up cold turkey about a month before my surgery. I think that is the best way to go, get rid of the the temptation and the idea of "oh, tomorrow I can have a soda" and remind yourself of how bad that stuff really is for your body. I won't even buy it for my household anymore, don't allow my kids to drink it. Drink lots of Water.

It is hard but you can do it! :)

I gave pop up cold turkey pretty close to the beginning of the process. The first few days were tough, but I really wanted to break the pop habit (plus...water's a LOT cheaper in the long run) I couldn't just drink less and wean myself down. It never worked, and I always ended up drinking more and more.

I am preop too and I love diet orange crush. I gave up regular Coke 8 months ago but find it hard to not drink the diet orange so I get it. Guess I just need to stop cold turkey like I did with Coke. Good luck to you.

I am preop too and I love diet orange crush. I gave up regular Coke 8 months ago but find it hard to not drink the diet orange so I get it. Guess I just need to stop cold turkey like I did with Coke. Good luck to you.

They have Orange Crush Water enhancers. It's one of my favorites.

I wouldnt recommend this, but you can always shake the coke untill its comepletly flat.

Heres a video that u might wanna take a look at since u wanna take control.

Watch "Boiling Coke and Coke Zero" on YouTube

Boiling Coke and Coke Zero:

I am not sure this is going to be a huge problem. After surgery you may/will fall victim to a coke and it will be so uncomfortable you will be instantly cured of you fiendish ways.

That being said, is it the carbonation you crave or the sugar? Carbonation cant be helped, but there are a number of artificial sweetners you can mix into liquids. You can also get a soda stream machine and not use the carbonation feature. It may trick your mind enough.

I am not sure this is going to be a huge problem. After surgery you may/will fall victim to a coke and it will be so uncomfortable you will be instantly cured of you fiendish ways.

That being said, is it the carbonation you crave or the sugar? Carbonation cant be helped, but there are a number of artificial sweetners you can mix into liquids. You can also get a soda stream machine and not use the carbonation feature. It may trick your mind enough.

It's both, but mainly the carbonation. Never would have thought of the soda stream idea. I might give that one a try. Thanks!

I wasn't a huge soda fanatic, I would have a diet coke every couple of days. When I stopped drinking soda, I did miss the sweet carbonated taste. I switched to Arnold Palmers (half iced tea/half lemonade) and that takes care of my craving. Arizona makes a Zero (no calories) version.

Now I add a scoop of unflavored Protein to it and it's a great, tasty way to get Protein and satisfy that sweet taste!

Good Luck! You are smart for starting now!

Before surgery I loved diet coke! I drank it every day and any time I gave it up I just ended up drinking more tea and juice which had even more sugar and calories than diet coke.... frustrating!

It's been 5 months since my surgery and it's still something I really miss. However, I learned to drink Water or crystal light with very few calories (my trick is to put a glass in the freezer until it's really cold and coated with ice....makes Water taste better in my mind) And I found that my tastes did change some and I don't like overly sugary drinks anymore. I drink juice but have to water it down. I've tried some diet coke since surgery but the carbonation makes me sick most of the time.... and flat coke is gross.... so that helps, but the cravings are still there. It does get easier.... but there are a ton of challenges that go along with this surgery - they're all mental and everyone deals with them differently. Good luck!!

Before surgery I loved diet coke! I drank it every day and any time I gave it up I just ended up drinking more tea and juice which had even more sugar and calories than diet coke.... frustrating!

It's been 5 months since my surgery and it's still something I really miss. However, I learned to drink Water or crystal light with very few calories (my trick is to put a glass in the freezer until it's really cold and coated with ice....makes Water taste better in my mind) And I found that my tastes did change some and I don't like overly sugary drinks anymore. I drink juice but have to water it down. I've tried some diet coke since surgery but the carbonation makes me sick most of the time.... and flat coke is gross.... so that helps, but the cravings are still there. It does get easier.... but there are a ton of challenges that go along with this surgery - they're all mental and everyone deals with them differently. Good luck!!

So good to know it'll get easier. I am hoping my tastes will change as well. I am already starting to drink way more water and I can feel how much better it is for my body.