Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Morning Cup of Coffee? For Real?

I can't believe that this piece of information just hit me. I've read it in my post op diet plan, WLS comments, etc., but it just sank into my brain. Decaf coffee seems to be allowed, but really? I don't mind telling you, I'm really freaking out here. I NEED my morning cuppa! Out of all the things I've read so far, this one is kicking my rear! Please, please tell me how you survived. I need a little bit of encouragement here, because right now I'm mentally hitting the brakes on this journey!

I'll look forward to reading any advice tomorrow morning as I REALLY enjoy my cup of loaded coffee on my patio!

i was more addicted to pop. my hubs and i actually had a routine with getting our pops, having our pops, etc. and the caffeine in that towering 44 oz of Mountain Dew kept me functioning all day. Giving up our habit was huge for me too.

One day while I was pre-op and planning my pre-op diet, this hit me too. I believe I posted about it somewhere on this site. I decided that my health was far more important to me than this addiction. I knew it would be hard. i had my last pop on a tuesday, it was very unceremonious. I took a couple of excedrin the next day for the headache and switched over to a bottled sugar free arnold palmer instead. done. end.

in honesty, that stupid habit was probably responsible for many of my extra pounds. in the end, i WAS able to give it up without an issue. now i'm post op and feeling great. and i don't miss it.

these days, 20 lbs lighter (only 5 days post op), i realize it would take me literally, ALL DAY, to drink that crud I used to guzzle by 9 am and warmly called 'my morning coffee'...

I was also really worried about this , as someone who can drink coffee and then go straight to sleep. I was panicking about going cold turkey on caffeine, nicotine and food simultaneously, the reality is/was had absolutely no desire during the first week or since really. I do drink coffee - week 5 I thin, in Cappuccino form, so I get milk Protein but honestly haven't decided if its something I actually need or is still a head desire.

Don't worry would be my advice, you won't know until your post op if its even going to be an issue and focus on the bigger picture

I am one of those who watch the coffee pot in the morning and can't wait for my morning cup! Post op I completely lost my craving for coffee for about a month or two. Now I drink it every day. I drink half caff as my preference but at times I drink full regular caffeinated coffee, even enjoying an afternoon iced coffee quite often now that the summer heat is here.

I stared decaffeinating myself about two weeks pre-op, first went to half-calf then Decaf, you get the idea. Post-op I couldn't handle coffee at all for a while. Eventually started making myself a latte in the mornings, decaf at first but gradually returned to full strength. Just keep reminding yourself, it's temporary.

I know how you feel. I felt the same way. My surgery is next week and I was told by my doctor to stop caffeine 2 weeks before so I am one week down. First day I felt a little tired. Day 2 a slug! Day3 headache day 4 less. Day 5 a little more energy. Day 6 headache again and day 7 feel fine. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I now wake up and jump in the shower and don't even think about it!! You san do this ! It just showed me how addicted to food and drinks I am. It also showed me I can overcome them all. My surgery is on July 3. My new Independence Day!!!

Start weaning yourself down now, seriously. Start by mixing the "Real" coffee with the Decaf over a couple of weeks at least until your cup is decaf only. It will decaffeinate your body slowly and will hopefully avoid the withdrawal headaches. They are horrible!

Ps : I was back on my joe at the beginning of my 5 th month. I'm a hard core coffee lady.

My doctor didn't have this rule, but I didn't want the caffeine or coffee for a couple of weeks anyway. I'm back to 1-2 cups of regular per day. Some people say it is an appetite stimulant. I've never reacted to it that way, or at least if I have it's because it's first thing in the morning and I'm ready for Breakfast anyway. I don't often drink it other than first thing in the morning anyway.

I decaffeinated myself a couple months before surgery, too. Post op I drank a lot of Decaf herbal tea, because even the decaf coffee was too acidic and hurt my tummy. About 4 months out I was able to drink coffee again and I have a huge travel mug every morning. I never felt the need to go back to the caffeine, though.

Edited by Kindle

I am so glad you posted this at this time. I am 2 months post-op. I have always been a 3-4 cup a day coffee girl. When I first had my surgery, I had no desire for coffee. Just this past week though, as I pass all my coffee places, I have been wanting a cup of coffee. It is starting to smell really good to me again. Thank goodness for all of these comments, because I think I will start slowly with half Decaf and hopefully enjoy 1 cup a day again. Thank you!!

Same here....huge STRONG coffee drinker. My diet said I could have Decaf after surgery, tho after sugery I didn't really have a taste for it. Never really noticed any withdrawals, I guess the pain meds killed any caffeine headaches I may have had post-op. Did try the decaf a few times the first week but didn't care for it. By week 3 I was adding half caff half decaf into the pot. I have noticed I can't drink it nowhere near as strong anymore! Very little will have me jittery like a whole pot used to! Now at week 5 I usually mix like 2 oz of reg coffee into my vanilla shake in the morning, add ice and its like an iced coffee. For now that seems to be all I need to keep me motivated and free of headaches.

I love coffee too. I gave mine up 1 month before surgery so I didn't have to deal with caffeine withdrawals along with being post-op.

I like the Pete's Italian Roast Decaf and the Starbucks Via Instant French Roast Decaf.

Lynda

Thanks all for the encouragement and advice. I think going the weaning method will be best for me. I definitely get the dreaded "no caffeine" headache. This also reminded me I will have to go the Decaf tea route as well. As a true Texas girl, I switch to iced tea at lunch and that's all I really drink. Methinks some pre op planning and changes are in order.

My doc allowed coffee after 6 weeks. I was not a big coffee drinker but liked diet coke. I have had both starting about 4 months but I found I like coffee now. It doesn't bother me at all. The first few months you'll do fine till your tummy heals and the inflammation goes down, hang in there.

lsereno, where do you buy the Pete's Italian Rost Decaf? I'm going to start trying different decafs before my surgery. Hopefully my taste buds won't change too much after being sleeved, as I've read here that some people really do have a lot of changes with WLS