Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Week Post-Op: Feeling Super Full, BUT I'm HUNGRY!

So,

Im 1 week post-op and I am STRUGGLING in EVERY way possible! For the most part I have been in adherence to the post op diet which is essentially liquid, but day 3 I did have some super soft noodles with the broth that I had because I was really hungry! I know the noodles were NOT told to eat, but I did and I tolerated it! I also have NOT been drinking a lot of Water or fluids for the simple fact that it seems like the least bit I drink or eat makes me MORE than full OTHER than the Protein shakes and I dont want ANYTHING 2 eat or drink! I have a pain in my stomach where there are NO incisions and I cant explain the pain, but it doesnt feel good when Im trying to go to bed @ night, but I sleep ok! I also experience hunger pains NOW something I wasnt having @ 1st, but NOW Im ALWAYS hungry! I do have appetite supprecents that the doctor prescribed that I havent gotten yet, but I feel like I should get them and be taking them now instead of two weeks post-op! Is there any suggestions before I fall off the band wagon and try to eat some food well as much as it will allow me to eat!

I was told by two ER nurse friends that I must drink those fluids...... Water..... They have seen several post-op patients that dehydrated. You may be hungry or you may be experiencing head hunger, since you stated that you feel "more than full." My suggestion is to drink that Water. Best Wishes!

Drink tons of Water and get your Protein Drinks in. Both will really help you with hunger and healing. Also have some warm broth, but the water is the most important. Don't eat anything that is not approved by you doctor. You may not feel like it, but you are swollen and getting food stuck right now will not help with your healing. Good luck and follow your doctors orders.

I too am one week post op. Surgery june 20,

The first week was hard because I was also hungry 2 days after surgery. I am now allowed full liquid which included cream of wheat, oatmeal, Soup etc. They said to blend it up but I dont bother, the Soup is mushy anyway and I eat it slow and chew well with the little soft chunks. Also allowed sugar free pudding, Jello, and frozen SF yogurt and so on. Dont you have a list of foods to eat from the Dr?

It is always best to go through your Dr and get there opinion because only they know your situation and you.

I hope you feel better, I know it is hard and none of us want to do anything to mess ourselves up.

You're in Bandster Hell. The period of time where your band is not filled to when you get the fill that gives you some satiety/restriction. Most of us went through this phase. I know I did for 4 months. Seems like you're hungrier now than before the band. Sorry, most docs or nutritionists don't warn you about this phase. Hang in there.

The doc told me to eat & drink the things on my list bc the 1st month is abt healing the band more than trying to lose the weight. I'm still not abt to eat anything tho. My surgery was June 16th. I actually had to get a cc of "primary fluid" removed yesterday bc I went 4 days w/o eating or drinking bc I felt so restricted & stuck.

Head hunger folks! If you can fill your stomach with drinking your Water, for the next few days do so. Only increase your diet as the surgeon's office okays. If you need something other than what is on doctor's plan, call the office 1st!

The doc told me to eat & drink the things on my list bc the 1st month is abt healing the band more than trying to lose the weight. I'm still not abt to eat anything tho. My surgery was June 16th. I actually had to get a cc of "primary fluid" removed yesterday bc I went 4 days w/o eating or drinking bc I felt so restricted & stuck.

My surgeon primes with about 3 cc, but it sounds like your surgeon is more aggressive.

Head hunger? That kind of irked me. I think I know when I am hungry or just wanting to eat. I have done both in my past. It doesnt matter how much broth etc you drink, there are times when you are flat out hungry. The liquid helps for a short time. Regardless, we all have to stick to what our Dr. recommends but dont tell me I am not hungry! lol

Head hunger? That kind of irked me. I think I know when I am hungry or just wanting to eat. I have done both in my past. It doesnt matter how much broth etc you drink, there are times when you are flat out hungry. The liquid helps for a short time. Regardless, we all have to stick to what our Dr. recommends but dont tell me I am not hungry! lol

Sorry Colleen, but many people have a very difficult time with head hunger vs real hunger. I'm sure most people on a liquid diet are quite hungry but as we progress and get our fills, even enter the green zone, it's a challenge to avoid head hunger/cravings. Many believe they're still hungry all the time.

Hey Colleen, Thank U! I do understand the difference between the head hunger n JUS wantn 2 eat! I was having the hunger pains n my stomach this was NOT n my head! I don't know if anyone has EVER experienced being hungry 4real, but I have n when I did it was NO fun so, I know what that felt like n it was REAL! Yes, we do have 2 follow the doctors orders n order to be successful n that's my TOTAL intention because I did NOT spend ALL this money 4 me NOT 2 be!

I was told by two ER nurse friends that I must drink those fluids...... Water..... They have seen several post-op patients that dehydrated. You may be hungry or you may be experiencing head hunger, since you stated that you feel "more than full." My suggestion is to drink that Water. Best Wishes!

Thank U so much I took Ur advice and started drinkn the water n that made me feel better! It was a temporary fix, bit I will make it through! This teaches discipline n when U haven't had very much of it sometimes it can be difficult!

Drink tons of Water and get your Protein Drinks in. Both will really help you with hunger and healing. Also have some warm broth, but the water is the most important. Don't eat anything that is not approved by you doctor. You may not feel like it, but you are swollen and getting food stuck right now will not help with your healing. Good luck and follow your doctors orders.

Thank U 4 Ur advice and I did as U sd I will admit those Protein Shakes r a REAL chore! Lol the smell is what gets me, but I understand better n that did help with the hunger pains 4 Da time n I got busy with something else! I've started back 2 drinkn water which was a chore as well, but I'm dedicated n NOTHING feels better than stepn on that scale n seeing that I've lost more weight during a period where much weight loss is NOT expected! So, again thanks 4 the reminder n support!

You're in Bandster Hell. The period of time where your band is not filled to when you get the fill that gives you some satiety/restriction. Most of us went through this phase. I know I did for 4 months. Seems like you're hungrier now than before the band. Sorry, most docs or nutritionists don't warn you about this phase. Hang in there.

Thank U for Ur advice! I never had a nutritionist or anything of that nature n I had 2 b Da 1 to remember to ask questions! I wasn't very impressed with my patient advocate, but my surgeon I Love! Anyway, this is that period where because U can't eat It hungrier n I get that! My pre-op diet was a breeze, but it was like my mind FINALLY turned on n was like HEY UR HUNGRY because I hadn't eatn n such a long time! I am fine n got some good advice from the ppl here who has been there done that and I am GRATEFUL 4 this site now ALL of U!

Oh wow! I was wondering about that because I've heard ppl say that Ur NOT restricted until Ur 1st fill n I know I am! His with drinkn stuff I get overly filled immediately almost so, I know now! I hope Ur better n getn something n! Good luck! I'm a sounding board if U wanna talk! We're almost same time bandsters! Good Luck as we go through!