Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maybe change surgery from RNY to Sleeve?

I saw my surgeon yesterday (finally, yay!). My date has been booked all ready, I've been looking at RNY from nearly the beginning, for a couple reasons: I'm diabetic (type 2), I have to confess to having a sweet tooth AND a weakness for chips (therefore I would not have been upset if I was a dumper). I also felt that the more history there was about it, the better. Not a knock on the sleeve, just the way it is.

After talking with my surgeon for a while and going over my history, health, etc., he said I should consider the sleeve instead. He thinks I would be just as successful. He believes just dropping 30# will get my diabetes in to remission alone. (it's pretty well controlled with minimal metformin)

I just don't know! ugh! I've done so much reading/ research on the RNY, and now I feel like I'm starting over to make an informed decision.

I understand that with the sleeve there's no re-routing/by-pass of the small intestine (e.g. no stoma from the stomach). Are there still any malabsorption issues?

Thanks for any input!

"undecided" :blink:

There are not malabsorption issues with the sleeve (according to what I learned yesterday from my nutritionist). You still have to take the Vitamins though during the weight loss phase but not forever.

My aunt had gastric bypass and she does get dumping syndrome and ulcers, and every other complication that comes with RNY. I think seeing her struggle with all that made me opt for Sleeve. I'm sure there are pros and cons to both though!

With the RNY there is malabsorption. With the sleeve there isn't, so you absorb more Vitamins and minerals. Why set yourself up for dumping if you don't have to? I also am pre-op diabetic, so have learned to use Sweet N' Low for cold items and Splenda when I'm cooking something. I don't think I will change back to all sugar (because that will still minimize the carbs), but, post-op, I'd sure like to have a *little* chocolate once in awhile!

When I started investigating which intervention to persue (RNY, sleeve or lapband) my bariatric physician told me they use the amount of weight an individual needs to lose a guideline. More than 100 lbs - RNY. 50-100 lbs... a sleeve. Less than 50lbs - the lapband. Based on your posted weight and goal weight, you would fall into the sleeve catagory. Maybe this is one of the reasons your surgeon is steering you to another decision. I do not think my bariatric group sticks with these numbers as a hard and fast rule. Lots of people with over 100lbs have had a sleeve done with great success. Likewise, people with less than 100lbs have had a RNY with success. It is a personal decision. I believe your diabetes will respond with either procedure.

Personally, I had a sleeve done and I've never been happier.

My advice would be do the sleeve if it's an option. It is a less risky surgery with less complications. I technically had 193 lbs to lose to be healthy BMI and my surgeon said sleeve would be his first choice for me. I'm 3 months post op and have lost 82 lbs total, 48 of that being post op.

I was not interested in having my plumbing rerouted, even though I need to lose more than 100 lbs, so I chose a sleeve. So far it has been working out great. My diabetes is already in check and I've lost close to 40 lbs in seven weeks.

Hey Ladies. How did your scars heal with diabetes? I have it and think it might prolong my healing. How did your scars do?

Hey Ladies. How did your scars heal with diabetes? I have it and think it might prolong my healing. How did your scars do?

Mine are fine. I'm a pretty fast healer in general though. Five days post op I saw the surgical team and they were quite happy with how mine healed up. But again, I don't know that I am typical. I come from a line of robust healers. LOL!

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone :) I must admit I am seriously considering making the switch to the sleeve.

I'm off to my son's wedding in FL in the a.m. Lots to think about.

Will have until mid-July to advise the surgeon's office of my decision.