Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am curious as to what or who everyone has to follow their Bariatric process and progress from the medical standpoint.

My surgery team is based out of a group of hospitals in the area. I have a nutritionist who will follow me for 5 years, a surgeon who will follow me for 5 years as well. I have the pre op educational classes in July and then get post operative support groups for as long as I need them. The local ER is familiar with the Bariatric surgery (which is a huge relief, just in case). Our local YMCA also has exercise classes just for patients that are pre and post Bariatric surgery, they are free if you belong to the Y and only $5 a class if you don't. My surgical team will also help me get in touch with a plastic surgeon if I decide I want loose skin removed.

So, what kind of support do you get?

My surgical team follows up at one week, two weeks, three months, six months, one year and then annually for a total of five years. They are always available by phone or email.

There were several appointments pre-surgery with the surgeon, dietician, physical therapist, psychologist and nursing staff.

My surgery center has weekly support group meetings and has a mentor program you can sign up with also.

All in all, my entire surgical team offers wonderful pre and post-op support. :)

Follow ups at one week, then two weeks with our FP, three months, six months, (maybe 9 months), one year and then supposed to be every year for the rest of our lives, though we'll see. They are not covered by insurance so we'll see. It's probably nothing our FP can't do anyway, and if they can't then they can call and ask. ha. If something isn't 'right' then of course I'll go see the surgeon.

Our bariatric office has monthly support group meetings and a mentor program as well but last time we went to a support meeting none of the staff showed up. There were 4 of us that showed up for the meeting. I don't know what was up with that.

There's a Nutritionist in the office, though not very helpful so far, but we still have one more meeting to go to in two weeks prior to surgery so hopefully we'll get more info then.

Haven't talked to the anesthesiologist yet, sometimes they call the night before or see them right before going into surgery. I need him/her to call me the night before though. I need to see if I can take one of my anxiety pills the night before and also if they can come in and give me something to relax as soon as I get gowned up and IV'd. The last surgeries I've had they made me wait an hour or two and for someone who's got an anxiety disorder it's not a good thing. I hate that they just dismiss what I say and not take me seriously. :(

Anyway, this board has been more informative than our Dr's office.

Post ops at 1wk, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 1 yr, 11/2 yrs, 2 yrs, 3 yrs, 4 yrs, 5 yrs, then yearly after that w/PCP only.

Labs at 3months, 6 months, 1 yr, and yearly from then on.

Nutritionist, twice pre-op, once post-op, and whenever needed after that.

Monthly support groups mandatory for 5 yrs.

I had to sign an agreement to meet all post-op appointments and attend support group or, if that was not possible, to regularly see my PCP for follow-ups and labs.

I intend to take advantage of every tool and all support available to me for continued long-term success. :-)