Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all, Does anyone else go to OA with a lapband? I am sure I can't be the only one. I need to fix my broken head I guess. I have been banded 2 years in Aug and have lost 55 pounds. However, I have gained 9 pounds in the last 6 months. The lap band honeymoon is over and now I need to deal with the demons that live within. I have discovered the overeaters anonymous website and actually have gone to a meeting. I think it is my personal way to get to where I need to be. Wish me luck on my long journey.

Nurse- I go to a pyschologist to discuss my "issues". I began before surgery, and will continue for a while to come. At one of my sessions, I learned that my "issue w/ food" stems from events in my life when I was 5 years old. These events were continually reaffirmed my entire life, (not bad events, just feelings of emotional abandonment). food became my constant...it was always there, and I could control the relationship. I want to be successful w/ my weightloss (congrats on your 55 pound loss). So I knew I would have to get to the root of my problems.

I've never done OA, but I would reccommend something, perhaps more three demensional for you. Psychotherapy has really helped me a lot!

Good luck!

I have never done it either, but I think it is great that you recognize there is a problem and are working to improve both your emotional and physical health. I have recently lapsed back into eating the junk foods I used to love due to some personal stressors in my life and I find them comforting. I guess I have some emotional issues I need to conquer too when it comes to food.< /p>

I just tried going to an OA meeting last night. There was only my wife and 2 other ladies there but they said there is usally more.

I didnt tell them about my band and i am not sure i want to. I liked it but i do have a little problem with one of the things there that they say. I am working on it.

I went to OA, with whosyadaddy, last night (yep, I'm the wife). It was our first meeting and we may try a couple of different meetings to see if there's a better fit for us.

I like the program, it's based on the 12 steps and 12 traditions of AA. (Never knew about the 12 traditions!). The only point I take issue with is "labeling" myself a compulsive overeater for life! DH and I are believers of the Bible and as such believe the bible when it says "If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature, old things have passed away, and behold all things become new." AND, "Whom the Son sets free, is free in deed.".

I'm not trying to preach to ANYONE here...I'm only stating that from our personal beliefs, that we are not willing to conform otherwise, we can not buy into a life long curse of compulsion. SO, If we must admit that in order to complete the "steps" and stay in the program, it definitely won't be for us.

Anyone in OA that can clarify if this is a 'requirement' (for lack of a better word)?

Oh, and I definitely will keep my band to myself...I don't think it would be well received.

There is an OA group here in my small community.....it's been active for many years and many people feel it's been very helpful to them.

I have been in and out of OA over the past 25 years. It is a wonderful approach to looking at ourselves and WHY we have the urge to overeat. The meetings are all a bit different and they are all over, so a good thing is, you can always changes meetings. The 12 & 12 is the basis for the program everywhere. You have to be ready to take the first step "I am powerless over food and my life has become unmanagable". Even if you aren't really "there" yet, the program works wonders if we are honest with ourselves. I am a compulsive overeater, that's my reality. OA, like the LB is a tool/resource to help me deal with why I (want to) eat. As for disclosing the LB, the program USED to be VERY rigid about diets, etc. That has changed. To me, the LB is my business. If I want to share it someday at a meeting, I will. Here's to your health and happiness -Just like the LB, OA works if you work it.

Addiction is indeed a recognized disease these days . If you don't feel that you are addicted to food, then perhaps OA isn't for you.

Addiction can be seen in ways such as turning to food for dealing with emotions, comfort, or when you are lonely or angry etc. I am sure you believe in the bible, but OA definitely teaches you to depend on a higher power. It's your higher power, (whether you call it God, Jesus, or just higher power) who will help you with the disease of addiction. Once you are getting the help you need from your higher power, your disease is considered in recovery, or perhaps in your terms, set free.

Addiction is indeed a recognized disease these days . If you don't feel that you are addicted to food, then perhaps OA isn't for you.

Addiction can be seen in ways such as turning to food for dealing with emotions, comfort, or when you are lonely or angry etc. I am sure you believe in the bible, but OA definitely teaches you to depend on a higher power. It's your higher power, (whether you call it God, Jesus, or just higher power) who will help you with the disease of addiction. Once you are getting the help you need from your higher power, your disease is considered in recovery, or perhaps in your terms, set free.

Thanks Denise :eek: So, it would be acceptable to state "Hi, I'm 'so-n-so' and I'm a recovering compulive overeater"?? That I can deal with!

Absolutely! That is exactly right! And if you binge on food, it's considered a relapse. But- nobody is perfect and you are still

considered recovering. It's a process.