Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 11 weeks post op and have been pretty consistently losing. The past 2 weeks I am yo-yoing. I am at 47lbs-50lbs. I am getting so frustrated! I feel like I am losing faith and motivation. Please help!!!!

PLEASE, please, please stop weighing yourself.

Your body is yo-yoing because it has gone through so much. You did not mention which WLS you had but it does not matter. There is stress on your body. It is trying to heal. Removing the meds and junk they gave you at the hospital and trying to figure out what you have done to it.

Your body was used to compensating for anything you threw at it. And now you are throwing healthy good food at it and it doesn't know what to do with it. Let your body have its rest periods. It is doing it to protect you. It always has. Now we want instant results from it.

Stay on track. Your body will feel safe again and you will start to lose again...

PUT THE scale away for now and watch how you feel and how your clothes fit..okay...Give your body time to catch up to the new changes and the new you that is emerging!!!!

I actually don't own a scale. Hated them all my life won't make it my new roomie. I'm not expert either I'm only 6 weeks post op but that is too much stress and I have enough trouble. LOL

You will continue to yo-yo and even stall. It's just part of the process as your body is trying to figure out what to do! lol. It's frustrating, especially the first time it happens. But, you have done REALLY well so far! Don't lose sight of that.

Best of luck.

Others have told you not to weigh yourself. For many that works best - maybe most people. I need the daily weigh in to keep myself on track and motivated, even when I am not loosing. You are 11 weeks out I believe you said. You could probably up your exercise a bit. Start to push yourself a little bit more in your daily workouts. Begin a strength training schedule - just 30 minutes of weight work 2 times a week can make a huge difference. Look online for some great free workout ideas. Begin with very light weights (1 - 2 pound weights) especially if you have not done this before. Stalls are part of the journey. Part of the learning process is what to do when they happen. GOOD LUCK!

Carol

I have found for myself that my weight "stalls" for two or three weeks then drops for several days in a row by several pounds. That's how my body rolls. You will figure out your body's way of dealing as well. It just takes times. Doesn't matter if you weigh every day or not. It just matters that you keep with it and it will come off in the end. It's the frustration that gets us at the inbetween phase.

I have always encouraged folks who are in the rapid weight loss stage (approximately the first year following your surgery) to weigh no more often than once a week and if you can stand it, every two weeks is even better. Chasing the scale when you're in this stage can be frustrating, discouraging and for some, even self-defeating. Much better to focus on following your plan and the all important lifestyle changes than the number on the scale. But...

Once you meet the weight that you want to maintain, I totally agree with Carol - I weigh almost every single day. Once you are at your maintenance weight, your priority shifts - from "weight loss" to "weight management". Daily monitoring of your weight in conjunction with maintaining a food log, puts you in the driver's seat. My daily weigh-ins tell me what, if any, adjustments I need to make. My log allows me to make those adjustments with almost "surgical" (Lol) precision. There are days when I exceed my daily calorie goal for maintenance. And days when I fall below my daily goal (yes - it really does happen!). In both cases, I see the results on the scale.

My weight maintenance "window" is 151 to 156 pounds. This morning I was 150.4. That tells me that I need to increase my calorie intake,100-200 calories, for a day or two. And of course, the exact same principle applies when I need to lose a pound or two. I've done both. Many times. And it works like a charm. In the last year and a half (since I reached my maintenance weight), I have been in my 151 to 156 window almost 100% of the time (today being one of the infrequent exceptions). My daily weigh-ins tell me how I'm progressing.

Your weight tells you what adjustments need to be made. Your log gives you the ability to make moderate, realistic and sustainable changes in your calorie intake to produce the result you are looking for - up or down. These two simple tools, my scale and my log, allow me to respond very quickly to any changes in my weight. It's easy, effective and what it does for your confidence is almost impossible to put into words. There is quite literally not the slightest doubt in my mind that I am in absolute control of my weight. Always. Without exception. And anyone can do it. How cool is that?!

At almost 4 months post op here is what I've learned and come to accept. Not matter how fast you lose, it's going to feel slow to you especially when you're comparing yourself to others. You're going to stall no matter what. Sometimes it might be for a day, sometimes it might be for a couple of weeks. It sucks, but it will pass. Just keep doing what you're suppose to be doing. Yes, not weighing every day is really hard, but it does help. At some point in a few more months you'll get to your "holy sh*t" moment and you'll know it was all worth it and you won't be as annoyed by what the scale day to day. You'll get some non scale victories, and it won't matter as much, you'll fit into a crazy small pair of pants, or find out your blood pressure is great for the first time in years.

So, be patient, which is easier said than done, it's all going to work out.

I have not been home in 3 days and I have to admit that being away from my scale has been awesome. I've never been too tied to the scale, but I am guilty of getting on it too much. I've been stalled for almost 2 weeks now. So not weighing myself for a few days has felt awesome!