Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

am i bulimic

Today should be an exciting day for me I hit my first goal weight! But instead I am so nervous that I might be bulimic. I do not spit up every time I eat but I do 98% of the time which I know is not good. I don’t force it up I just bend over the toilet and it comes right out. I go to the doctor in August (cant go before then bc of work) and I plan on talking to him about it then I just want to get others peoples opinions and see if this has happened to anyone else.

Also I've noticed that some mornings I wake up and feel like something is stuck and when it finally comes up it is black! Anyone ever experienced this?

No and you should really consult with your surgeon and nutritionist about this? Why bend over the toilet if you know you're going to vomit? You know what the stomach acid is doing to your esophagus and teeth don't you?

If you're doing this 98% of the time and expedite it by bending over the toilet, you need to speak to a professional?

Honey, I am so sorry you're having this issue. I believe if you are not compulsively making yourself vomit, then that is not bulimia. However, I hope for your health you talk to a therapist about your feelings. I had a very similar convo with my therapist (who specializes in disordered eating, among other things) and it made me feel SO MUCH better when I was "spittin up" all the time.

As far as the black stuff, I think you should call your doctor immediately. Also, are you eating slowly and keeping your portions small? the only time I involuntarily toss my "cookies" is when I eat too much too fast.

Please consult your medical professionals about this, ASAP.

I so agree with everyone on here ivyh CALL YOUR DOCTOR immediately!

If you can bend over the toilet and what you ate comes back up, that's regurgitation, not vomiting and indicates esophageal damage. food isn't getting to your stomach, it's stuck in your esophagus. Please see your surgeon ASAP. Best of luck and congrats on reaching goal!

@@ivyh As you can see from the posts above it is not good to be vomiting up black anything. It could be that something inside your esophagus and/or stomach is bleeding. If you are having to spit up food 98% of the time the chances that the acid from your stomach which is not meant to leave your stomach could have caused an ulceration to your esophagus and or an ulcer in the stomach. Both of these things are bad enough, and could affect your band. If the band erodes you could lose it permanently.

So don't wait any longer, make that call. There is no excuse of needing to work and not able to get help sooner. If you were having a heart attack you would go to the hospital, and if you leave this unchecked until August you may be making a trip to the O.R. instead of just to the Dr.'s office.

Call the Dr. take the day off and take care of yourself! Vomiting for any percentage of time is not normal banded or otherwise.Primary focus is not to worry about bulimia it's to worry that you might have done some very serious damage that needs medical attention now!

Let us know what your doctor says cause I know your making that call today....right?!

@2muchfun. When food is stuck in the esophagus, it has to come up or we can aspirate and get pneumonia. It's not being vomited up from the stomach, but being regurgitated before getting to the stomach, so stomach acid isn't an issue. You're correct in saying the op needs me fiscal help, but from her surgeon...

@2muchfun. When food is stuck in the esophagus, it has to come up or we can aspirate and get pneumonia. It's not being vomited up from the stomach, but being regurgitated before getting to the stomach, so stomach acid isn't an issue. You're correct in saying the op needs me fiscal help, but from her surgeon...

You may be correct but bulimic people can regurgitate on command and it's not food from the esophagus. You're assuming but only a professional or M.D. can know.

If I were vomiting up anything black, I would not be typing at my computer. I would be in a car, driving myself to the ER. Seriously, if this were happening to one of your kids (hypothetically; I have no idea if you have children or not), would you wait to seek medical attention for that child?

Please check back in here and let us know what the professionals said. Your situation is obviously very concerning.

@2muchfun. From the op's description, it doesn't appear she is causing this to happen other than bending over the toilet. When this happened to me, what came up was exactly the same as what went down, no acid or bile. When a bulimic causes vomiting by sticking a finger down their throat, it's induced vomiting. Often, I could barely make it to the bathroom to relieve the pain of food sitting in my esophagus and bending over, even slightly (with or without a toilet present) would cause the swallowed food to come out without any effort on my part.

@@ivyh please read my earlier post, but one thing caught my eye in rereading your post about the morning regurgitation being black...that could be blood. Please see your doctor ASAP.

TMF and Bandarella, at this point the reason why she is vomiting has become a secondary issue.

The fact that she is having to vomit 98% of the time and now vomiting up black colored something first thing in the mornings before eating anything can be very serious.

As WLS patients we have remain compliant with our tools, and vomiting for any extended time is not normal. Yes it happens and it's our job as patients to figure out why it is happening sooner rather then later because later can be too late.

I am hoping she has not responded because she is busy calling the doctor and getting in to see them today! Once she has some solid understanding of why this is happening and what that black stuff is...and all is well with her health and her band, if the vomiting continues with no diagnosed "physical" reason, it is then time to delve deeper into a mental/emotional reason and seek help for a possible eating disorder.

@@lisacaron agreed. This is serious and the potential aspect of esophageal damage adds more weight to the urgency. A lot of damage can happen in a very short time.

I experienced the same symptoms for over two years thinking I was eating too fast, too much and around my band. I was happy about the results weighing in at 115 lbs. When I would see my Surgeon I would have a fill and/or reduction due to my esophogus being dilated. This went on for month and then noticed I was starting to gain weight. My lap band malfunctioned and I had to have it removed and replaced. I am 3 months post op and feel much better.

I reccomend speaking to your doctor and having some of the Fluid removed just to give yourself a break and most of all get healthy. If you are not taking suppliments I strongly reccomend you do so.

Good Luck.