Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too much advice and opinions for newbies?

I have seen a lot of people get frustrated here saying everyone is different and there is too much advice and opinions on Bariatric Pal. I think it really must be overwhelming to some people. The same goes with the surgeons and the NUTS, conflicting advice about food, calories and Protein. I wanted to give a gentle reminder especially to newbies that when you post a topic you will get lots of opinions, and thank goodness for the help! You read, absorb, and plan your life based on what you think will work best for you. There are some great educated recommendations here, and then, like me, personal advice on how we have muddled through. Without this forum who would we ask? I would be sooooooooo lost, even 7 months post op! Good luck and happy summer everyone!

Excellent advice! When I first came to the site I seemed to read a lot of posts about complications after surgery and some of it scared me but really, if you look hard you will see that the majority of people don't have complications. I have connected with people from this site and from the company I am going through for the surgery and so far, none of those people have had any complications. I am taking their advice and listening to my facilitator.

If you are worried about something with your diet, complications look to your doctor for help, we are not medical professionals and even though people would like to share their experiences your doctor is the person you should be asking help from.

If you are worried about something with your diet, complications look to your doctor for help, we are not medical professionals and even though people would like to share their experiences your doctor is the person you should be asking help from.

Asking if others have had the same issue and how the issues were resolved is not the same as mistaking other people who have been sleeved and post on an online message board for "medical professionals".

I think it's safe to say that people who have actually been sleeved have had loads of contact with their surgeon, GP, NUT etc. and aren't afraid to and DO contact them when there is an issue.

The beauty of the internet is that you can find people who are in the same situation you are in or have had the same complication or issue you are having and ask them how THEY dealt with it 24/7.

When you are on a social site, its always going to be opinions and advice....Good and bad, helpful and unhelpful....That goes for any social site!! I have been on this site pre sleeve and wish I would have had it in 2005 when I was banded. I love reading the good and the bad. I have not had any complications as a sleever and I was normal in 3 days. My only complaint is not being able to get 640z in and not being able to tell if I have a bm/gas at times :(

I have learned sooooo much on this site and I want to be encouraged and encourage others on this site...I can truly and honestly say I come here everyday to read post and progress and see people that are going through what I am going through and know that I am not alone and I have people that I can talk to and understand.

I would have been lost without this site. I was on early and often presurgery. Just about every pitfall and positive that I have experienced has been shared by others here. It made my journey a bit easier.

There is nothing but experience that can explain things like post surgery gas pains or the new feeling of full.......having vets that have shared their firsthand experience is invaluable. Let's be honest....the surgeon,pcp,nurses,coordinator,etc........none of them have been through this 1st hand........we have........

Now there are some subjective things like diet and exercise and results,etc........we should all be taking them at face value and applying them as evaluated to our own experiences........

Every day I am on here snooping around, looking to hear how others are doing. I agree with the others that since discovering this site pre-op I have had to filter what I read, but I have gained so much support from coming here. Even though my recovery as gone fairly well, my heart goes out for those who haven't. Still, I want to hear from them too from time to time to see if they are all right. Newbies do need to be aware that opinions and mileage may vary, but it is the different opinions that make this site interesting.

Linda - you are so right!

As a former pre-op newbie I loved using BariatricPal as a research source where I knew that I had to take into account the nature of the site and it's participants. I learned to add a bit of salt to some posts that seemed overly negative or overly positive, I tempered that judgement with the post count and mutual respect from other posters. I am still a newbie - only on Day 10 post-op, but I have been on BariatricPal since before it was consolidated, I lurked for quite some time before joining.

I do miss the snarky posts that were more than your usual operation related question or diet issues. I always enjoy those - sometimes just a view on life or the changes we experience...I have always found value here - but I do wish that the newbie's and the old timers could get along, so we can have some more original posts again. I recognize the value of keeping a "friendly" site but it seems that the ones who go away are the old timers and we are losing some tribal knowledge with those departures.

If those old timers who always penned great posts are lurking now - please come back! Alex please consider reinviting those old timers back, we need that experience and life knowledge!

I totally agree - one of the reasons I started following Bariatric Pal was the lively vets conversations. I am 5 weeks out and rely on my surgeon and nutritionist but come here for support and how Roos. Everyone has such fantastic ideas and the support is tremendous!

LOL. Love all the posts. The lively Vets make my day. I admit feeling once "stung" by 2 posters but looking back I can laugh. Like my hubby says, I am OVERLY sensitive. I hate seeing anyone give up here, it makes me feel bad, because where the heck can they go? Nowhere....... They have no idea how much they will be helped here. Hang in there friends. Never give up.

I found this site just recently post surgery-I really appreciate the advice and other 'sleevers stories' Thank you everybody for all the advice