Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK I got a little freaked last night about surgery that's right around the corner (July 25th) I was on here reading and someone had major complications and it scared me so bad. I must be crazy because I still want to go through with this but I'm terrified now. Gotta hear some good stories . How common is internal bleeding and kidney failure from having the sleeve?

I've read some info about bad experiences too and it kind of makes me nervous because its a pretty big surgery BUT there are so many more people who have had positive experiences. Don't let a few bad experiences kill your excitement and hope!

Personally, by the time my mind was made up, I was more scared of the consequences of doing nothing than I was about the potential problems with the surgery. Mine went "textbook". I was in the hospital for 24 hours, (that's release a day earlier than planned), and back at work the next week. I can't say it's been a cake walk, but there have been no surprises. I've lost "an Olsen Twin" and about 10 prescriptions. I enjoy good health now and wear a size 6. I can eat what I like in very small quantities. I know others who HAVE had complications, but even they would do it again to achieve the results they have today.

I can understand why you might have fears, but obviously the complications are rare exceptions and not the rule. There is no way that doctors would put themselves at such huge risk if these complications were common. I had a great experience. I had surgery June 2. I was up and walking within hours of surgery and discharged the next morning. By the end of day 4, there was no pain. I thought I would never be able to drink so much Water, but that finally got bettr by about the 6th day. Today, I am walking 50 minutes and doing water exercises. Last week I thought I would never get my energy back and this week, I am much better. I have to remind myself that I had surgery just 2.5 weeks ago. If you follow the doctor's orders exactly - walk as frequently as possible after surgery (even I f it is only a very short way and strive to stay hydrated) you will most likely do really well. Complications can be serious, but they are rare. This is life changing surgery. Be excited.

My husband and I were sleeved. Diabetes was killing my husband, unconscious during the night, calling rescue, sleep apnea, you name it I could barely breathe because of my weight, asthma, and started on Metformin for diabetes. We both have HBP. I am off Metformin and a HBP med; he is off Metformin, a HBP med, and his insulin is reduced to a minimum amount. The sleeve has given us our life back. Do not wait until your body starts falling apart like ours. The sleeve is the best thing we ever did and would do it again in a heartbeat. It was 10 times easier than we expected with no complications.

My surgery was textbook, too. Having a smaller stomach has caused me to make some adjustments, but I am much healthier for it. During these six months post-op, I have learned to listen to Miss Tummy, because she is smarter than I am.

Because I am healthier, I am happier and more able to endure my therapy exercises. I wish you good luck and good health.

Do you trust your surgeon? If so, then I think you can trust the process. I'm just now sleeved about 24 hours, and I feel great!!! Not to say I never got the Wobblies, but is asked questions until I felt good about my understanding of the process. Already I'm one day into the greatest adventure of my life! Bless you, and I pray you'll find the best way forward for yourself!