Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you love about your new personality?

It's true we all change over the years, just by life experiences. Weight loss surgery is a huge life changer and the further out you are the more you can change. You learn so many things, especially if you are deep into the WLS support community.

What is it about your inner self that you are proud to share that you have changed since surgery for the better? Or, if you are pre-op or newly WLS what changes do you hope for in the future?

I have definitely learned a sincere compassion for others feelings, good or bad. Support is extremely important in my opinion in the WLS community. No one will ever understand us, like us. Some other things I enjoy about the "new" me is that I have come to accept who I am, my past, my present and feeling excited about my future. I have gained a confidence about myself and now I realize that I really CAN do ANYTHING that I put my mind to. I am studying Business Management and minoring in Nutrition... I never dreamed I'd ever have come this far! I still fight for my health and my life every day, but I also have the confidence within me that I will succeed at that too. No one is perfect, and least of all me - but I am glad I can say that I will fight daily to be the best me I can be.

Enjoy your journey! Every day, every pound we get rid of and every bad or demeaning thought we ever had about ourselves.

I am cleaning house. Literally. I took three days to clean out drawers and my closet and I can say everything in my drawers and closet fit me. What a great feeling to get rid of the big stuff never to fall back on it.

I am cleaning my craft room out. I want to be able to go in and craft and play on the computer, have a "ME" room again instead of a room accumulating stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I am a clean person who doesn't have clutter except in those two areas but I figured while I was cleanong out my body I would expand to cleaning out the other 2 areas that needed it.

It is refreshing! Next I am going to clean out my purse and then train for a 5 k! I have never done that before in my life-I have walked some but never run one so that is next. I love the new me that is emerging and even surprising myself!

Great question!

I have to say, i am Happier... I find myself "glass half full" rather then "half empty"... I try to show the postive side of things... I find my self more supportive...

You asked what us pre-op participants are hoping for once we move over to the "other" side. My hope and dream is very simple. I want to be able to be able to enjoy a conversation with old friends and new people and NEVER once wonder if they are thinking to themselves....OMG she is fat! Or worse yet saying it out loud to others when I walk away. I desperately hope I come to believe they will judge me for my good humor, intelligence, etc. etc. I ALWAYS see myself as the fat girl in a crowd of people. I dream of the day that feeling will go away.

@@Sparklingbeauty53 wonderful representation of how you're feeling right now! If I may make one suggestion though, keep ONE set of your biggest clothing. There will come that day when you can fit both legs in one pant leg of your largest. It is a very special moment and you won't want to miss out because you threw them away.

That said, throw everything else away or donate them! ASAP.

@@Sparklingbeauty53 wonderful representation of how you're feeling right now! If I may make one suggestion though, keep ONE set of your biggest clothing. There will come that day when you can fit both legs in one pant leg of your largest. It is a very special moment and you won't want to miss out because you threw them away. That said, throw everything else away or donate them! ASAP.

Very good idea. I will take up that suggestion. I will keep that outfit handy when I get to feeling down on myself. I will wear it and visually see how much improvement I have made for myself.

Very good idea. I will take up that suggestion. I will keep that outfit handy when I get to feeling down on myself. I will wear it and visually see how much improvement I have made for myself.

I am now just about 6 months post and boy have I changed not only on the outside but on the inside. Before i never gave much thought to my appearance. I would go out in sweats and a t-shirt and slippers with my hair in a pony tail. Always knew people would snicker or make comments under their breath. Now, i take pride in how i look. I get dressed and brush my hair and put on male up most days. I no longer own a pair of sweats but still have lots of t-shirts for the gym. I feel better about myself and hold myself better. I dont mind people looking at me because i know where i was and where im going. I have lost 104lbs and feel wonderful. I still weigh 250,but carry myself like im 150! I feel sexy and it shows in my personality. I am much more confident and my friends tell me they love the new me. I honestly never thought i could ever be this person again but i love me now. No longer the ashamed fat girl. I have even inspired several of my friends to get back to a healthy weight because of my positive attitude. There have just been so mamy changes in such a short time. Not only have i cleaned out my literal closet but also my emotional closet. Just let the past go and live for the future. Good luck to all of you on this wonderful journey!

I find myself more pro-active. It seems crazy

Instead of walking past that piece of plastic in the lawn I pick it up throw it away

Instead of waiting until the last minute to Iron something for work I now Iron a weeks worth of clothes

Instead of walking my the pantry and grabbing a handful of Snacks I walk past the pantry to the workout room

instead of waiting until the bill is due I pay it when it comes in the mail, put a stamp on it and walk down to the mailbox

Instead of walking in the garage and looking at the totes of "junk" and turning around and walking back out -- I now do a tote a day and clean.

Instead of waiting for the dog to BEG to go out, at the first sign we go for a walk

Instead of sitting for hours in front of the TV - I now DO THINGS.

Edited by Terribj

@@Terribj you Iron weeks worth of clothes at one time? Wow! You deserve "The Most Proactive On Earth" Award for that one!

I love these posts because it really makes you stop and evaluate your entire transformation. Pre-op I was postivie and outspoken but I always had that tough exterior wall up, I held back to a certain extent because I didn't want to put myself in the spot light because I knew what people were really thinking. Post-OP I'm still that same positive outspoken person but the walls are down now because I honestly don't care what others think of me because I LOVE ME the ENTIRE ME!! Yep, that's right I love myself, I've never honestly been able to say that before and not because of how I look (that helps) but because I've proved to myself that I have what it takes to get through whatever life brings my way, with alot of help from the Man Upstairs!!! I wake up everyday with a smile on my face, FULL OF ENERGY, ready to take on the world I'm a go getter, take no BS kinda gal who loves herself!

Edited by enjoythetime

Funny how we can all be so different. I call myself Sparklingbeauty53, not because I am stuck up or anything but I am known for my sparkle. I believe we can and should look beautiful at any age and any size. To be sure we all have our grunch looks (who works out looking great?) but I believe every woman should have a touch of sparkle. Not your ugly sequin christmas sweaters but just a touch to make them feel better about themselfves. Since I have lost weight (albeit just beginning) I feel that even not wearing sparkle I look better and I guess it is because I feel I look better. The sparkle is just a bonus! I did keep some old pants and a shirt for the photos down the road...thanks for that advice LilMissDiva Irene!

I don't think I have a new personality. I'm down over 60 pounds but I have been this weight for long periods of time in the past.

I am having a hard time imagining getting to goal because it's been so long since I've seen those numbers on a scale.

Maybe then my personality will change somewhat. I've always believed that no matter what your size you should try to feel good about yourself, you should still try to look nice when you can.

I just don't think my personality will change that much.

Well said! Go get your life! :)

I love these posts because it really makes you stop and evaluate your entire transformation. Pre-op I was postivie and outspoken but I always had that tough exterior wall up, I held back to a certain extent because I didn't want to put myself in the spot light because I knew what people were really thinking. Post-OP I'm still that same positive outspoken person but the walls are down now because I honestly don't care what others think of me because I LOVE ME the ENTIRE ME!! Yep, that's right I love myself, I've never honestly been able to say that before and not because of how I look (that helps) but because I've proved to myself that I have what it takes to get through whatever life brings my way, with alot of help from the Man Upstairs!!! I wake up everyday with a smile on my face, FULL OF ENERGY, ready to take on the world I'm a go getter, take no BS kinda gal who loves herself!

@@Sparklingbeauty53 I love your user name. We all have a little sparkle inside of us, and if someone doesn't they should go to Michaels and buy some. ;)

If any of you saw the movie 'Pitch Perfect' you will recall Amy introducing herself as "fatAmy" and she said she called it out first so others could not make such a reference about her first. Well. That is kind of what I do. I always make jokes and comments about how I am short and fat and my hubby is tall and skinny, or other such references. I hate that I feel that way about myself. I graduated from college with the standing of 'highest ranking senior" having all straight A's and I passed he CPA exam in one sitting which is something rarely done. I did this having only a GED and no high school diploma! So why do I not introduce myself as 'smartJackie' instead of 'fatJackie'. !!!! My weight always makes me feel inferior. I need to work on that big time!