Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mystery symptoms

So I'm a year out from sleeve surgery with no complications other than my gallbladder removed 3 weeks after sleeve. About a month ago, I noticed pain under my right rib cage intermittently, but usually after I ate. Not terrible and not all the time. It's started to become worse and more frequent. About a week or so ago, I went out with friends and had a drink - not even a whole drink. I got this really weird reaction, pain and cramping from the middle of my back up my spine into my shoulder blades. It's hard to describe but it was very uncomfortable and odd. That night I had the abdominal pain all night and into the morning but it was also radiating to my back. It was Saturday, so I went to the ER. They did a CT scan, blood work and both were fine. The only thing they found was a urinary tract infection. I don't think that was the cause of the pain. I've taken the antibiotic and I still have the pain issues pretty frequently. I have an appointment with my MD, I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar and what was the cause?

As a side note, I've also noticed that my alcohol tolerance has gone way down over the last couple months. Like one drink hits me the way 3 drinks might have affected me 2 months ago. Weird, so I've stopped drinking at all till I know what's going on.

If the UTI got to your kidneys, could that have been it?

I would have them look for an ulcer. I have had a similar experience and it turned out to be a tiny ulcer on my sleeve.

Not drinking the alcohol..Sorry I think it is a good thing.....LOL

I have not drank it for 14 years.....For the sleeve it is a waste of calories..But that is just me.....No back lash guys everyone is different and sees things differently....To me no loss!

But the other issue...I would ask for a scope....It may tell you more then you can get from a CT Scan. It might be a bladder infection but it sounds like more is going on to me!

I've heard that alcohol hits you harder after WLS. Last night I tried a shot glass full of red wine for the first time post surgery. I got really loopy quickly, but it also went away quickly. I've only consumed alcohol in a social setting, but I'm not sure it is worth it at this point. It never was a high priority for me anyway.

Yes, you need to figure out what is causing your symptoms. Sounds like it might be getting worse.

@@Jen35 the above is correct. Also, if/ when it happens again ask the doctor to check your pancreatic enzymes (amylase & lipase). Since the pain is occurring after alcohol consumption, your pancreas could be involved.

Good luck!

Rena- I'm 12 months post surgery and havent had issues with alcohol until recently. I could have 2-3 drinks over the course of an evening without issues. But I agree with everyone that I should stop all alcohol for now. That's not a hard thing to do (and if it is, then I have bigger problems!) I do enjoy drinking socially.

Whoknows- I thought about that, but they didn't say it was a kidney infection and I've finished the antibiotic and the pain is still there.

Mrs.RRn- I don't know if they ran the pancreatic enzymes. I'm going to have my doctor request the ER records. I'm actually in the waiting room now. I hope he can shed some light on what's going on.

Thanks for all your responses. It really helps to get others perspectives.

MD said it could be an ulcer or gastritis, putting me on Keflek, which will coat my stomach, esophagus,etc. If it's an ulcer that will give immediate relief and we will then treat the ulcer. If that doesn't help, it may be a sphincter of odie issue (I need to research that), pancreatitis or something else, and we will do other testing to determine.

I also see my surgeon next week for my 1year appointment, so I will also get his opinion.

Not keflek, he gave me carafate

@@Jen35 - I too am having similar symptoms. I saw my surgeon yesterday and he prescribed me Carafate also. I have not picked it up yet so I don't know if it will provide immediate relief. He thinks either gallbladder or ulcer. My pain has not radiated through to my back but is more isolated to just my stomach area and is accompanied by nausea and occasional heartburn/reflux. I am scheduled to go for an EGD on Tuesday and they are also sending me for an ultrasound in the next few days. I hope they find your problem and get it fixed! Keep me posted please and I will do the same! Good luck! ;)

@@crysclev - I hope they figure out what is wrong. keep me posted.

I don't have my gallbladder anymore so that isn't my issue (that would be easier). I saw my surgeon for my one year follow up and he said he can do an endoscopy but he would rather wait to see if the increased dose of Omeprazole (for acid) and the carafate help first. He reviewed my CT I had done at the ER and said that I have a small hiatal hernia (which sucks because he fixed it when I had my sleeve - so now it's back).

But the pain has only gotten worse in the last few days and the carafate hasn't helped like it was supposed to. In fact, it hurts my stomach just to take it with Water. 2 days ago, immediately after eating I was having stabbing pains in my upper left side of my abdomen. The pain is also now in my upper right abdomen sometimes. I really don't know if I can handle this pain! I'm afraid to eat because the pain is worse then, but I have pain to some degree all the time now.

My regular MD said that I definitely have IBS but didn't think that the pain is related to that. He didn't prescribe meds for the IBS yet, but can if I need it. I just don't really know what to do at this point. My surgeon wants to see me in 6 weeks, and I have a follow up with my reg MD in 3 weeks. I don't think I can take this pain for that long. I really want to know what is wrong with me.

@@Jen35 I hope they find out what it is & can fix it... no fun to live in pain!

You can't wait that long! Call them both and see about getting in sooner. The worsening of pain hopefully suggests something. Feel better!

@@crysclev has the carafate helped with your symptoms? Or have you found out what is wrong?

Since my last post I went to the ER again (different one cuz I didn't like the way the last handled things). They did another CT only this time I drank this stuff so they could see my digestive tract better. Everything was fine, bloodwork fine. I started taking IBS meds which have helped with the generalized pain and diarrhea, but I still get the sharp, stabbing paint intermittently. I would say my issues are about 50% better. I will need to go back to the doctor to see what other tests I need.

@@Jen35 Yes the Carafate has done wonders. I had an EGD on Tuesday and my surgeon said my stomach looked fine but was still red and a bit irritated. I think that whatever was going on got better with the Carafate during the week I took it prior to the EGD. How are you feeling now?

Edited by crysclev

As long as I take the IBS meds 3x per day, I don't have the diarrhea and general cramping pain. But I'm still having the sharp pain in my upper abdomen intermittently. The severity varies as well, but it seems to be somewhat better (not sending me to the ER, anyway). I see my doctor again on Tuesday and I guess we will see what other tests he wants to run. I'm thinking it may be something like Crohn's. I have fibromyalgia and at one point I was seeing a Rhuematologist because they thought I had Rhuematoid Arthritis. I had one blood test that had a high RH factor but then no other tests confirmed that I had RA. But the doctor said that auto-immune diseases can start off slowly and then progress, and it's hard to diagnose until more symptoms apprear. She felt that my body was doing something auto-immune related that my progress eventually. And auto-immune diseases run in my family.