Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 5 of Optifast, 16 days until surgery

Hi all, my name is Shawna. I'm 41, a working mom and wife. I've been a "big girl" most of my life. Had a few good weight loss years but the weight always managed to come back again. I've always been very active but could never keep weight off. After having no kids to having my baby girl, then 2 step kids coming to live with us all in 7 months, anything about myself went out the window. Anyways, I'm in a much better mind frame now, love life but still struggle with the battle of the bulge. My doctor suggested bypass surgery back in 2012 and I finally agreed for her to refer me to the hospital. My first "session" at the weight clinic was in February 2013 which was the info session on your options and you could sign a sheet saying whether or not you wish to have the surgery. I signed "yes" and started the journey of Bypass Surgery. It took a long time to get here now in June 2014 but well worth it. I've had more info sessions, met with a behaviourist, nurse, dietician, the surgeon and finally the anaesthesiologist last week. I've had EKG, cardiograms, blood work, stopped drinking altogether, and given up a lot of "treats" but could not be in a place to have this done. I'm ready for the next stage, BRING IT ON!!!!!!:-)

Hi Shawna! I'm about to start my 2 week Optifast 800 diet. I'm not sure how this will go, starting tomorrow I can eat NO real food - shakes, Jello, popsicles and broth for 2 whole weeks - then surgery, then 2 more weeks of liquids...but at least by that part I will be getting my spot on the losers bench!

I hope you surgery goes smoothly, any tips with Optifast - I'm willing to take any tips out there! :)

<p>Hi Shawna! I'm about to start my 2 week Optifast 800 diet. I'm not sure how this will go, starting tomorrow I can eat NO real food - shakes, Jello, popsicles and broth for 2 whole weeks - then surgery, then 2 more weeks of liquids...but at least by that part I will be getting my spot on the losers bench! </p> <p> </p> <p>I hope you surgery goes smoothly, any tips with Optifast - I'm willing to take any tips out there! :)</p> <p> </p>

Hi Jackie, it's the same for me, no food at all. I've had jello, chicken broth and my shakes. I'm heading into day 6 and I still have 15 more days. I dropped 11 lbs already and I have to do 3 weeks Optifast with no eating. I did find out that my favourite way to drink it is with about 500 ml Water, vanilla flavoured shake powder, half a single packet of crystal light (full one is way too sweet), I love the raspberry peach or cherry pomegranate flavours. I shake it up, mix with ice and shake some more. It's soooo good. Tastes almost like a milkshake to me. I have no problem drinking that! All the best to you. You can do it!! Let me know how you're doing :-)