Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FDA: The Low-Carb Diet Is 'Sheer Nonsense' - The Common Voice

I thought this forum was for those who are low carbing to encourage each other.

For those who believe white flour and sugar are essential to good health, enjoy it. I'm not going to go to your high carb forums and tell you that diabetes is difficult to control with that type of diet. Nor will I go there and tell you that I don't personally know one person who has kidney disease/stones due to low carbing (I didn't say they don't exist, I just haven't personally met one). But I know plenty who have had stones who don't low carb including my close relatives, (and I've never had a stone). So when they worry about my kidneys I laugh sweetly and tell them that it diet is the cause, I'd be terrified to eat their diet after seeing the pain they have. And I know plenty of people whose kidneys are a mess due to not controlling their blood sugar. Dialysis isn't pretty.

I was recently given a low carb diet by my dietitian to follow for a month while my band has to be unfilled. I'm following Atkins because the plan I was given didn't allow enough vegetables and berries for my taste. The dietitian thought she was giving me a higher carb diet, bless her heart. I've lost 5 lbs this week. And I'm almost 2 years post band.

My Atkins (on-going weight loss phase) menu allows me to get the nutrients I need without wasting space on empty calories that I don't need. Now if I were an athlete at goal weight, I'd be looking to add calories. But in my case I've got plenty stored in reserve as fat that I need to deplete.

Ah when I was young, I really did need those empty calories, my metabolism and activity level required them, I didn't have extra fat. But alas, I don't need them today.

I thought this forum was for those who are low carbing to encourage each other.

For those who believe white flour and sugar are essential to good health, enjoy it. I'm not going to go to your high carb forums and tell you that diabetes is difficult to control with that type of diet. Nor will I go there and tell you that I don't personally know one person who has kidney disease/stones due to low carbing (I didn't say they don't exist, I just haven't personally met one). But I know plenty who have had stones who don't low carb including my close relatives, (and I've never had a stone). So when they worry about my kidneys I laugh sweetly and tell them that it diet is the cause, I'd be terrified to eat their diet after seeing the pain they have. And I know plenty of people whose kidneys are a mess due to not controlling their blood sugar. Dialysis isn't pretty.

I was recently given a low carb diet by my dietitian to follow for a month while my band has to be unfilled. I'm following Atkins because the plan I was given didn't allow enough vegetables and berries for my taste. The dietitian thought she was giving me a higher carb diet, bless her heart. I've lost 5 lbs this week. And I'm almost 2 years post band.

My Atkins (on-going weight loss phase) menu allows me to get the nutrients I need without wasting space on empty calories that I don't need. Now if I were an athlete at goal weight, I'd be looking to add calories. But in my case I've got plenty stored in reserve as fat that I need to deplete.

Ah when I was young, I really did need those empty calories, my metabolism and activity level required them, I didn't have extra fat. But alas, I don't need them today.

Yeah I think those of us who low carb just get tired of the yaya :cursing:and dont' check in here that often. BTW, I have noticed some of the most vocal anti low carb folks on here like to rant on other boards too. I just don't waste my energy, but would love to get this board active with pro low carbers. I know it is fantastic way to go. I myself am not consistant but I should be.

Thanks for your post. Corliss:thumbup:

Well Corliss, Maybe we can get it on track. I left a low carb forum because the anti WLS folks kept ranting on the forums for low carbers , so I came back here, because since I'm following a low carb regime at my doctor's office's recommendation I thought this would be the place. I try not to think I'm smarter than my doctor. ;D

I think some people confuse low carb with NO carb. Too bad.

Why isn't this forum about ways to reduce carbs in one's diet? I could not do a low carb diet consistently but I am ssooo addicted to the foods with flour/sugar/ fat, I have to limit them. No diet works forever and no one diet works for everyone. Just went on a carb binge the last 2 days and am trying to stay away from the stuff.the stuff

Good question, Sue. I'm also one who falls off the wagon frequently, but find that when I eat Protein, low carb veggies, berries, dairy, and whole grains I lose weight more easily. And those foods tend to help me stay satisfied longer. I'm actually doing weight watchers currently, and it's easier to stay satisfied and keep within my points if I eat lower carb foods.

There are several very good comments on here from people defending low carb. But Hammer is the only 1 who actually demonstrates that he or she has READ the studies! He mentions a number of very important studies here -- but there are MANY more --- and NOT from just "diseased obsessed Western countries." I'm a researcher. I read the whole body of studies and I know HOW to read them. Given the mounting evidence from a wide range of low carb studies done at major research centers that include everything from weight loss to disease development -- it is clear that the world --particularly Americans -- are eating far too much crap --and that crap is basically made up of processed foods --- which is basically carbs. I don't think anybody thinks carb in the form of Beans, whole grains, veggie are the great culprits. You can eat some of that and it's perfectly fine. But all that flour and sugar is crap. It has almost no nutritional value and turns becomes sugar in the body. All that glucose is bad for the human cells and it is causing a lot of problems --including obesity and disease.

Edited by Desdemona

That's the frustrating part, that many assume that those of us who low-carb (I didn't say zero carb) haven't read any research and/or our physicans are ignorant. Perhaps if we called it "healthy carb" or "smart carb" some would understand.

I'll never forget the day I (in my 50's) had ordered a meal with a group of co-workers and spouses. I had a salad, grilled fish, and steamed broccoli. When the server asked if I wanted biscuits, rolls or whatever, I said no thank you. A 20 something cutie at the other end of the table began to berate me about low carbing. She was a physical therapy major and knew whatall about what was good for me. So what was SHE eating? Hamburger and fries. I smiled and said that when I was her age I could eat what she did and stay thin too. :(

I agree about smart carbs. I can definitely also say for me that I am a carb addict when it comes to unhealthy carbs - if I start eating badly, I am compelled to continue. My personal choice is to try to avoid anything that is too highly processed, especially carbs with lots of sugar or white flour.

I think low carb can be very healthy if it is balanced. I feel that it is not healthy to eat a lot of high fat or highly processed meats such as bacon, hotdogs, bologna, etc. However lean, healthy meats followed by varieties of veggies and the occasional fruit is good for you. I also thing it is unhealthy to eat a lot of processed carbs.

I think the most important thing for all of us is to keep some balance in our diets. If the carbs we consume are a relatively small percentage of what we eat and are whole grains, legumes, etc . . . we are doing good for our bodies.

I also can't argue that low/smart carb diets work . . . they do. I lost most of my weight that way.

HeatherO-

The thing about research that a lot of people don't realize is that the media doesn't use it properly. They are always reporting the results of an individual study here and there and they make people think that the study proves something. That's why the public is getting so confused/frustrated about what to do to avoid cancer. It's not that easy for research to get to the bottom of what's going on. It takes quite a few very well conducted studies over a long period of time to support a statement. The truth is (like Hammer suggests) the body of research done on low carb over the last several years is really starting to show that carbs not only make us fat -- they are also unhealthy. You don't have to have a Ph.D (I do) to know that Grandma was right when she said that if you want to lose weight you have to leave the bread, potatoes, soda, cake and candy alone. Grandma always said eat your veggies, meat and you can have a little fresh fruit for a snack. It just makes good sense. Protein and veggies and fruit contain most of the nutrition we need. Starches and sugar (especially the man made processed ones that they have been pushing since the 1960s are not nutritious and are not natural food. It takes 40,000 yrs for a gene to mutate. Our bodies just don't know what to do with all that processed starch and sugar that we are eating.

Maybe most doctors don't know but the ones who are staying up on their research do know. We can do very nicely without more than 40 or 50 grams a day and more than a couple hundred is down right bad for us. I got my band at a large teaching and research hospital. The MDs there strongly support low carb. They tell everyone who gets the band or bypass with them what my Grandma said --- to eat Protein, veggies, fruit and leave the starches, sugars and processed foods alone. I have also seen a leading neuroendocrinology surgeon at Harvard School of Medicine. He told me not to ever let anyone tell me that low carb was bad. He actually told me that, specifically, Robert Atkins was RIGHT! He says it's the best diet possible and that all these carbs are reeking terrible problems with our endocrine systems (hormores) and promoting serious diseases. They are showing connections with too many carbs and obesity, cancer, diabetes, MS etc.

Edited by Desdemona

Hahahaha well tell my body that. My body laughs at this article as it sheds the weight lowcarbing!!! Low calorie for the last 6 months, no weight loss - not a single POUND and 3 weeks of lowcarbing and I am 30 pounds lighter. Eat that.

Call it what you want, but with my limited space it's all the more necessary for me to follow low (notice I didn't say "no" carb). In order to get the nutrition I need I simply can't waste space on white potatoes, white rice, white bread, or sugar (granulated, powedered, or syrups). I need Protein, low carb veggies and low carb fruits, whole grains to get my what my body needs. For those who find that nonsense, please eat what you will. Only you know what's best for your body.

Oh my god. My head is going to explode. I've argued with Jachut on many occasions about this. lol.

Honestly, this is how it works, plain and simple:

-At this time, there is no diet on the face of the planet the blows every other diet in the world away by its amazing results, nor will there EVER be, more likely than not.

-Having spent most of my childhood reading them, medical journals are NOT so politically influenced that they are as trustworthy as Cosmopolitan magazine. They are science. Is every study that happens perfect and totally definitive, though? NO! That's why they are done OVER and OVER in different circumstances, in order to rule out variables.

-High Protein, low carb diets ARE healthy and not just fad. They are strongly backed by the ADA and a vast number of medical associations, not including the majority of doctors that will back that statement. They are also good for weight loss because they will curb your hunger a little better than the high carb diet.

-High carb, low Protein diets are great for athletes, especially runners. If you need a constant supply of glycogen, this is a great diet to be on.

Honestly, guys, it just comes down to this: If you eat small meals often throughout the day and you work out at least 3x/week, it doesn't matter what diet you're on. If you burn more calories than you take it, you WILL lose weight. Period.

As for me, I'm going to stick to my high protein, low carb diet. It's gotten me down 88lbs, so I'm going to stick to it.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to get it out. lol.

I think sometimes people confuse low carb with NO carb and "high" Protein with "exclusively" Protein (and fat). Not what low carbing is about at all. In my case when I'm low carbing, though the ratio of protein vs. carbs is "high" my overall protein intake is not "high" by anyone's stretch of the imagination. It's only what is needed to replace the muscle loss due to normal wear and tear. If I were an athlete with little fat reserve, I'd need more carbs for energy AND more protein to repair the damage.

When I low carbed before WLS of course I could easily eat a lot of protein. But I love veggies and berries, whole grains, other lower carb foods a whole lot more than grilled chicken. I could eat nearly 100 grams of low glycemic carbs and still lose (that's including Fiber, not net carbs). Of course, falling off the wagon even for one meal could put a bunch of weight on and be very discouraging. With WLS I can have my cake and eat a (very small) bite of it too! There's wiggle room for a taste here and there and there's not enough space to get carried away. LOL

Love the combination!

I'm glad to see that some low-carbers have come here to support each other. The science really is with us - read 'Good Calories, Bad Calories' and it extensively outlines the endocrinological reasons that carbohydrates are not good human food. The reader's digest version is: carbohydrates drive insulin, insulin drives fat storage. In order to nip fat storage in the bud, nip insulin in the bud by avoiding excess carbohydrates.

I am almost 5 years banded and I began regaining my weight because I went down the Standard American Diet path. It had my hunger levels completely out of control and me feeling very sluggish. And for all of 'you calories in, calories out' people, this is an example that fat storage does not happen because you are slothful, people are slothful because their fat metabolism is dysregulated. Now that my fat storage is regulated thru low carb (actually near zero carb, but I won't shock all of you with the science for that) I feel great, and my energy levels are wonderful.

I am a huge proponent of low carb eating for health for nearly every human. I am glad that this space is here on LBT. Let's keep using this for support. It works! :(

I am one year out, and was stalled for the last 3 months, no weight gain and maybe some inches lost, but scale not moving. Even when I increased my exercise.

Been no carb for 3 days and low carb after that for another 3 days and weight is coming off again. My whole body just feels better on low carbs.

I like many others did the Adkins diet several times before WLS and lost weight but always regained it.

The trick I think is to do low carb while losing and then you can very slowly add more carbs. If you do it slow enough and not just quit the weight is not just regained.

Cheri