Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble with protein and picking food

Am not eating enough and can not get in Protein. My meal today one half grilled chicken leg and I am full. It is 4:30 and I been up since 8 am. When I wake up I am not hungry and my stomach churns. I tried Protein Drinks and they make me sick. I don't know how to get the protein in.

I'm having the same problem. If I try to drink my Protein Shake I get sick. I have found that refried Beans and lunch meat work well for me. I know I'm not getting the 60 grams of Protein daily.

Edited by amberf

Do you like chili? cheese sticks? lunch meat? Yogurt? All of those are pretty easy to eat and will give you Protein

Try softer Proteins, you will be able to eat more and get more Protein....cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, tuna salad, refried Beans, spam, skim milk, split pea Soup, cheese, eggs.

As for Protein shakes, which ones have you tried? There's dozens and dozens of different brands and at least as many flavors. You don't have to stick with just the thick, sweet, chocolate/vanilla/strawberry ones. The RTD shakes would make me gag, but I learned to dilute them with milk and have tried at least 15 different products to find the ones I like. I'm enjoying a cherry lemonade Syntax nectar Protein Drink on ice right now. There are also pea Protein, egg protein, hemp protein and sprouted seed protein products out there if it's the whey/milk that your body doesn't like.

It's important for you to get your protein or your body will suffer. Even at 6 months I can't eat enough to meet goals without at least one shake /day.

I use the unflavored GNC pro performance whey Protein to "fortify" Greek Yogurt and other foods. I try to get 30 grams of Protein in my Breakfast, and sometimes it still takes me 2 hours to complete that meal. By starting my day with half my protein it gives me more energy and ensures that I will get all my 60 grams eaten during the day.

Initially I alternated between Protein shake and Greek yogurt each day. After 6 months I added some Protein Bars and egg dishes into my Breakfast rotation, but those days I am more challenged to get all the protein in. I believe that adequate protein is one of the keys to being successful with this surgery.

I also tried a bunch of different protein shakes and found the Premier Protein (chocolate and Strawberry) from costco to be the best one for me.

Also I was never "hungry" for the first 6 months, but I ate because I knew my body needed that nutrition to function properly.

I wouldn't be able to get my Protein in without at least one shake per day (only three weeks out though, and can't eat enough pureed foods to get anywhere close to goal) So Chike coffee protein is my go-to breakfast. It can be really difficult to get enough protein.