Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Buddy needed 6/24/14

I am 62 years old and my gastric sleeve is scheduled for 6/24/14. Searching for a buddies who might be in the same age bracket. I think as i go through this i would love to have a buddy or buddies who are possibly facing similar concerns.

However all ages will be accepted????

Age and BMI have numbers. Caring, love, concern, friendship, hugs don't. They're immeasurable.

:)

No matter what your age number is, getting healthy is a great thing. :)

I had a proximal RNY at the age of 62. I am now 10 years post op and have lost and kept off 150 lbs.

We grew up in a time when you were considered fat if you were 20 pounds heavy. I was always the fat kid or fatty fatty 2by4.We were discriminated against illegally for jobs we were qualified for.

Our weight histories littered with lost opportunities and careers because I did not present the slender appearance that was required by personnel managers. Those tears were long and bitter

Althoh I am 10yrs out on post op personally but during the 10 years, my mouth started to revolt I started to develop very serious dental problems than were caused by dry mouth in which all my saliva stopped and my mouth go completely dry and speaking clearly was difficult. The condition can be caused by side to some prescription meds that I had to take. My Dentist could not keep up with the constant root canal s and uhh broken teeth.

Suggested I have full dental implants done.The pulled all the upper teeth on Apyt?ril 1,2012. Once the swelling went down I was started we wearing full lower flash teeth that had to be gliding with copious amounts of Fixodent.During the long the recovery from the surgery which was marked with a large grape size access wedged betweenb my maxilary sinus bone on the top and smaller abcesses by the top on the upper false test. The top of the false would squeeze the access every time the teeth moved. The pain was so bad it was very hard to work to plan, book

,and ticket large group of peopletravelling to World Bank . Meetings anywhere in the world.

After about 9months we decided it was time to pull the lower teeth. This was a repeat of the upper teeth. They put in the false upper teeth about 5 weeks ago and after 2 weeks the teeth fell out. They glued them back in and after 3 bites. The teeth fell out again. My Dentist is starting over on the top teeth.

Why all of this...I am going to have to relearn how and what to eat. My sense of taste was basically changed. I can taker several bite of something I have really liked and after several . bits and . I stop eating it and toss it out. .For liquids I find there isl. No such thing as too much sweetener. I would put 15 sweetenurveillance packets in a coffee.

I am not sure if I am a good mentor. I think we might have and interesting time. I AM VERY WORRIED THAT I WILL GAIN Weight

Sorry for the typos.Is hard to hunt and peck on a Kindle

Hey,

I'm in Va. also. I think you would be a good mentor because you've been through all that, meaning you know what adversity is like, and have overcome in mentally and are willing to give back.

Hi Reddrobin, I'm also scheduled for June 24 and welcome having a buddy! Message m :) I'm new to the website and not sure how to do much on here. I'm excited, nervous, etc.

I start pre-op diet tomorrow. Next Tues the 24 is the day. Went and had my last supper at Outback. Getting nervous and scared. Got all my affairs in order today. Going to try and relax during the next week.

I bought my Protein Powder at Vitamin Shoppe also bought a few samples to try out. I also ordered the Unjury starter kit.

It will be interesting.