Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

QUESTION: If U had gastric bypass & U had 2 do all over again verses the SLEEVE would U?

I wanted to thank everyone who posted in this topic for their feedback. I am in the very early stages of my journey and am on the fence of RNY vs VSG and reading other posters thoughts has been very helpful.

Hi I am 5 weeks post opt gastric bypass since I had the procedure I my heart beats fast and im constantly having verdigo. Does anyone else have these symptoms?

Some people get that with to much sugar or fats. It could also be reactive hypoglycemia I would contact your surgeon.

Some people get that with to much sugar or fats. It could also be reactive hypoglycemia I would contact your surgeon.

I had vertigo something fierce for the first 6 months after my surgery. My doctor told me that is somewhat common but no reason not to check with your own doc.

I had RNY and didn't do the sleeve, and I can tell you that #1 I would do it over in a heartbeat and #2 ABSOLUTELY no regrets!

I had Rny and have no regrets at all. Very happy with recovery and my weight loss so far. Almost 100 pounds now!

I have NO REGRETS and WOULD DO IT AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT! No it has not been easy or perfect. I have had trouble and trials, however I was able to get off both my blood pressure medicine and GERD/GI medication from DAY 1! I would not have been able to do that with the sleeve.

Having just read this entire thread from the beginning, I would like to thank everyone who posted. I'm having my RNY in five days (on the 10th) and all of you have very happily reinforced my decision! :-)

I had gastric bypass last year. I never regret my decision to have it.

I had the gastric sleeve done 5 years ago and am now having the RNY revision done on 7/22. I wish I had done the RNY the frst time, but I was terrified of the surgery and thought it might be too drastic. I di lose about 40 pounds, but it crept right back on after 4 major surgeries and now I am back where I started. I am still worried about the RNY but this time I will go through with it. It has to be better than carrying all this weight around, especially with the peripheral neuropathy of my feet.

Hi!!

I am in the same situation... Had the sleeve 5 years ago and have wicked GERD going for the entire revision in 9 days! Can you give me an update on yourself?

I choose the sleeve based in long term effects. My step mom had RNY 10yrs ago and still deals with so many issues. The sleeve requires me to work on my self control more then the rny since i dont get "punished" But for me, I felt that would force me to work on myself. food is not the issue, its mental.

Hi! I absolutely would do it all again! I am 12 weeks post op, and have lost 50 pounds! I have good days and bad sticking to my program. I am feeling great, and have 50 more pounds to lose. The most important thing I have learned is this: WLS is only a tool. You will continue to have food issues; head hunger, grazing, etc. WLS won't cure you of your over eating, only support group, therapy and personal commitment and grit! Once you understand this, a healthy thinner you will be realized!

@@Jolisue,

Thank you for saying that. I need to stay in reality about my situation. This surgery is not going to cure my head and that's where my crazy thoughts, rationalizations and madness lives!!! LOL...I am on the hunt for a therapist, I have 2 support groups and I just hope I don't get into self sabotage. Everyone talks about how excited they are to be thin and I've been thinner before after loosing 140 pounds and I have to say it was in addition to thrilling it was one of the scariest experiences of my life. Having been overweight the majority of my life and then suddenly being in a small body had such a weird and unfamiliar feeling. I think I secretly wanted to put back on some pounds and go back into hiding, get less attention, not feel that electric zing when bones would start appearing and rubbing against each other....hence the therapist and support group. Glad to hear about your success!

I think that discomfort with a thin body is something for all of us to explore. Whether it's unfamiliar or scary is probably something we can all relate to on some level. If we've been overweight most of our lives or just part of lives, suddenly we are getting attention. That might be difficult, exciting, scary! Definitely not familiar. Great topic for discussion!

I am just 12 days post op with my rny and I feel certain that I made the right choice as I was free to choose rny or sleeve. As others have said, I knew the rny is 'the gold standard' and has been being done for many years so there is so much more research and results with it. I also felt I was going to be more successful with the rny because I have a sweet tooth and the malabsorption factor. The Vitamin part is no big deal, what's taking 1 or 2 more Vitamins?