Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't handle any more protein today

I've had about 50 grams of Protein and I know I'm supposed to get 70-80 but my stomach feels like it's trying to tell me to stop. It's super sensitive every time I take a sip and everything feels like it wants to come back up. I hate not reaching my nutrition goals when my body needs it but I honestly don't think I can. I hope this doesn't happen too often. :-/

Sometimes taking a brisk walk helps me when I get that "not one more sip/bite" feeling and think I can't hit my Protein goals. Also wait an hour and have a hot cup of something soothing. Both work pretty well for me anyway. I also totally understand when you've just had ENOUGH of something though and can't face another serving! I would think as long as it's a fluke-day and not the pattern for you, you'll be okay to be under by those grams for one day. Hope you feel better soon.

I totally agree with Kate. Walking always helped "move things through" and warm Decaf tea was very soothing on my stressed out little sleeve. I got in the habit of drinking a cup of Sleepytine at bedtime and I still do that even 5 months out. Not that my tummy needs it anymore, but I've always been a bedtime snacker, so the tea is a much better alternative.

I was sleeved May 15, and I sometimes have a hard time meeting Protein goals (to be fair, I wasn't given a specific number to meet yet: I will get specific numbers when I go back to my NUT. The CRNP just said "Protein first and worry about the exact numbers later") Three Protein shakes a day will give me the Protein numbers, but the last shake always feels like I'm forcing the last few sips down, no matter how much I've walked or how hungry I was. And since adding puree for a meal a day (I can't face food more than that) I have fallen even shorter.

I do the best I can on a daily basis. More protein will come as different choices get added, but when you can only tolerate so much going in, better to listen to your body (that was actually my CRNP's advice: just get in what you can, and if it's too much, step back. I had to throw in a day of Clear liquids because I just felt too bloated every time I had a shake, regardless of walking or anything else)

Your body will heal on its own time. Although the constant nausea may be something you want to talk to your doctor about...maybe he would have some suggestions on the feeling sick every time you sip?

I was sleeved May 15, and I sometimes have a hard time meeting Protein goals (to be fair, I wasn't given a specific number to meet yet: I will get specific numbers when I go back to my NUT. The CRNP just said "Protein first and worry about the exact numbers later") Three Protein shakes a day will give me the protein numbers, but the last shake always feels like I'm forcing the last few sips down, no matter how much I've walked or how hungry I was. And since adding puree for a meal a day (I can't face food more than that) I have fallen even shorter.

I do the best I can on a daily basis. More protein will come as different choices get added, but when you can only tolerate so much going in, better to listen to your body (that was actually my CRNP's advice: just get in what you can, and if it's too much, step back. I had to throw in a day of Clear Liquids because I just felt too bloated every time I had a shake, regardless of walking or anything else)

Your body will heal on its own time. Although the constant nausea may be something you want to talk to your doctor about...maybe he would have some suggestions on the feeling sick every time you sip?

Well besides Protein Shakes they are other ways to meet your protein goal, i eat cottage chesse is a great help to get protein, i made fish stock the other day thats has protein in it also.

I buy different flavors of Protein Shakes, i buy powder and liquid form.i buy ensure. i make my shake with fresh squezz orange juice and it taste great, i eat cottage cheese, I made a fish Soup with all veggies that i like and put i through my food processor strain it and eat it . that has lots of Protein in it

You didn't say how far out you are from surgery. If you're in the mushies stage, you can definitely add soft fish to your diet, which is an excellent source of Protein, low in calories and low in fat. I have one Protein shake in the morning for 30 grams of Protein and I struggle getting that down, but I just take it real slow. Then for lunch I have the Gorton's signature grilled tilapia. It's like 80 calories and 15 grams of protein. Then I have cottage cheese at 12 grams for 1/2 cup and a greek yogurt. Of course, i'm breaking this up throughout the day, not eating it all in one sitting, but I'm able to hit my protein goals by doing this.

I just bought some Greek yogurt (Yoplait 100 vanilla), which I'm hoping sits better than the Yoplait Light I was allowed to have during the full liquids stage (thinned with milk). And I bought some salmon patties today, because I've seen a lot of people mention fish during the mush stage. I love salmon, and the patties should flake apart really nicely, so I'm planning to try that for dinner. I didn't think cottage cheese had a lot of Protein, but I have some in the fridge and I'll be giving it a try (I had a tablespoon of it the other night with my pureed chicken, and it settled just fine, so I should be okay with it.)

I'm not terribly upset if I have to stick with eggs and shakes for a while. I have sample packs from both Syntrax and Chike, so at least I have a ton of variety :D I've never tried fish broth or fish soup...I will be looking up some recipes.

I had a lot of blended split pea Soup and bean soup. They have a good amount of Protein and was a great savory break from the shakes. I added Unjury unflavored protein for even more.

I am 11 days out. I started purées 7 days out. It's just the taste and thick coating the shakes and even clear Protein Drinks give me that make me nauseated. That and the fact that I am completely full feeling all the time. I am not nauseated other than that. I just have to get through it until I can depend on my food for Protein.