Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone starting their journey in San Diego Kaiser?

@@The Candidate

Hi Debbie,

Keep asking questions!! Im happy to help!!

Im a bad example of how long it takes from the end of classes to surgery date because of my embolism. I had to wait longer because Dr wanted me to finish my blood thinners first. I finished class in May and had surgery in August, but I would say most of the class had surgery within two months of the class ending. A word of advice, when they send you for labs or to take care of something, do it right away. There's so many people waiting, so even waiting a couple days to get blood work can push back when they call you by days or a week even.

For my preop labs, there were a whole bunch of tests, but I really just had to give blood, so I couldn't name them all!!

For the 100%, no they are not super strict (they will act like they are) all that happens if you don't lose the 10% is that you have to go see Dr. Ray once more after the class ends, before they order your labs and send you off to Pacific Bariatric. Because of that appt, there is like a two week delay for surgery. There was only one person in my class who lost the 10% and she of course had surgery first. I would definitely try to lose it because it will save you some time of waiting. Now, once you meet the surgeon, you absolutely cannot gain any weight or they can cancel your surgery (of course I've heard of people who did gain and it didn't effect the surgery at all) but I believe that is dependent on your particular situation. The way I see it, every pound you lose preop is one less you need to lose post op!! (It's still hard though because you can sometimes get the "food funeral" mentality and have a lot of "last meals"

I don't know a great deal about the bypass because I went into this knowing I wanted the sleeve. But yes, it is true that the hunger goes away. I can say that there are days where you feel a little hungry, but it's usually head hunger and I'm just bored so I find something to keep me busy. You almost have to remind yourself to eat every once in awhile.

Hope that helps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions

@@Photo925, I'm so glad to hear everything is going well! Very excited to hear about the lack of hunger and not always thinking about your next meal... Because that's exactly what it's like for me too. It would be nice to not think that way or always be hungry as I am now. My mom lost a lot of weight and she doesn't like a lot of the things she did before, so I'm happy to hear that's true so far for you too. I am starting to wean myself off diet Pepsi and artificial sweeteners. I know the sweeteners make me hungry. It's hard because I need a boost in the morning and I can't drink coffee!

Sorry to hear that you haven't been released for working out yet! 10lbs isn't much weight... My purse probably weighs at least that! I miss working out terribly--found out last month I actually fractured a bone in my foot four months ago so not allowed to do anything but swim for another 2-3 months!

Great questions @candidate and great answers @@Photo925! Things I hadn't thought to ask about. Thank you for confirming about getting tests done ask quickly as possible... I got them as soon I could thinking that if I got everything done right away I'd maybe get through the pack faster. I was approved within 2 weeks of orientation. There weren't that many people at my orientation though.

I kind of already had my food funeral... I was horrified because I was craving things I never eat! I think between no crossfit and eating I gained 10lbs (whoops) but I'm over it now. I'm so ready to start losing! My family is totally behind me on this so I'm really happy about that!

@candidate, I plan on getting the sleeve. I had always sworn I would never get surgery as I only knew about bypass and lap band. A friend of mine that has struggled with her weight all her life like me told me she had the sleeve surgery in May 2013 (she looks AMAZING!) and so I started researching. It seems very reasonable for me. There were (at least when another friend had bypass years ago) a lot more risk of complications and malnutrition with the bypass operation. I didn't like what the surgery entailed. The sleeve doesn't mess with the entrance/exit of your stomach and I think it's a much more elegant solution.

Cheers ladies!

Jen

@@Photo925 thank you again for your response! You are so spot on about needing to lose as much as possible pre-op, and I am definitely working on it. I only lost 1 pound between orientation last month and my appointment with Dr. Ray but as long as it isn't a gain, I'll take it! You're right too about keeping on top of those labs/test requests being key to getting a heads-up on a surgery date.

@Plussizecrosstrainer so good to hear from you! Your comment about how much your purse weighs really made me laugh, and I hope your foot gets better soon. It's hard enough trying to lose weight without being sidelined by an injury. Have you heard back yet on when you will be starting the Options classes? BTW I'm with you 100 percent on those food funerals! And for me it was Coke Zero (and sometimes regular). I've been off of them for about a month now. It was easier than I thought it would be.

I am so thankful to have found this forum. It helps tremendously to have first hand knowledge from people who are going through the exact same experience. I did a lot of research beforehand so I felt prepared for the orientation, and now I am feeling even more prepared for what comes next with the Kaiser experience, thanks to the two of you.

Like you @Plussizecrosstrainer I never really considered the surgery before, even though I've known about it for years. I know two people at work who have had it done (the bypass). The first one to undergo the procedure regained all her weight. I was able to witness firsthand that the reason she gained it back was because she eventually returned to unhealthy eating and also stopped exercising. It's the classic example of having your cake and then wanting to eat it too.

But the second one has kept it off and I've really been inspired by her. Her success paired against the other's failure really bought it home to me exactly what I have to do in order to be successful myself. This has to entail a lifelong commitment to changing your lifestyle or it will all be for nothing.

So it's only been in the last two years or so that I've started to believe that this might be an option for me, and when I found out that my insurance covered it there was no looking back. I truly hope I'll be one of those people that in retrospect says: "I only wish I had done it sooner."

I had my mind already made up that I wanted the sleeve like the both of you. My only worry is that I've heard and read that heartburn is significantly increased with the sleeve so I have concerns that the surgeon might say it's not a good option for me, as I already suffer from it. But I won't know for sure until I reach that stage. If given the choice though, I'm definitely going for the sleeve.

I can't wait for the day when my mind and body are finally working in concert towards a healthy and more fulfilling life. I'm more than ready for the sacrifices and work I know I'm going to have to accomplish to make that happen too. Right now it seems like I'm in a constant war with myself and I've somehow become my own worst enemy. Those days of yo-yo dieting are now numbered and I couldn't be happier.

Thanks again to the both of you! I'm sure I'll be back with many more questions @@Photo925, and @Plussizecrosstrainer, it seems as though we're at almost the exact same place in our journey so it will be wonderful to chart our successes!

Have a great day!

Okay, trying this for the 3rd time! Every time I start a reply it disappears before I can post it...

Hi @@Photo925 and @@The Candidate! How are you two doing??? Debbie, when do you start your classes (or have you already)? I start my classes this Wednesday! Very excited and a bit nervous!

What kinds of things do we cover in class? How to eat post surgery I hope! I'm most intrigued by how small my stomach will be... And how little I will be eating at a time. Do we have "homework?"

Classes better signal the end of my food funeral... Though it's been more out of boredom than anything. Of course it's going to be hard because this coming week because it includes my birthday... And even though I deliberately didn't plan a get together with friends I still have plans with family and of course I get a cake at work = I did survive Halloween and didn't eat a single piece of candy. Pretty proud of that!

Also, I have successfully given up diet Pepsi! It's been a week and a half and I've only had one moment of craving one, but it passed shortly thereafter. Am avoiding artificial sweeteners and have also cut down on caffeine.

Hope all is well with you both!

Jen

Hi @@plussizecrossfitter, so very good to hear from you again! My classes start this Thusday and I am so ready to actively be doing something to get this party started. In some ways the time has been going by pretty fast, but on others days I get a little down about the long waiting period. I saw Dr. Ray on the 6th, so I've been waiting to start these classes for over a month now!

I've been pretty on top on the exercising portion. I'm a demon on the treadmill, and I only wish I had one of my own. (I'm hoping to buy one sometime in March). On the other hand I've attended more than a few of my own food funerals along the way. Still I'm excited for the first class weigh in next week. I don't own a scale (also an intended purchase) but I few as though I've list some weight, so we'll see.

Congratulations on getting through the Halloween candy barrage, as well as your upcoming birthday! I think you're entitked to a little indulgence considering you still have six months of classes to wade through, so try to enjoy your day as much as possible. My trial of fire comes the very day of my first class. My office always throws this big Thanksgiving luncheon each year and it just happens to fall on that day!

How's the foot coming along? And @@Photo925 we sure would like to hear a post op update from you when you have a chance!

Take care,

Debbie

Hi everyone I haven't been here much because I was taking my classes! You are going to Love them! Some of you at the beginning might not be to happy about the subjects because it covers many things we already know, like what brought us to the class but go with it, I promise it will get better! I hope you all have a group as close as the one I have (we are about 16 and of those 13 of us are very close and have a secret Facebook group) the support the we give each other is amazing we are so close we feel like we are brothers and sisters! I guess that is also a reason why I'm not here that often. Anyway in two days I'm having the surgery with Dr.Zorn and I'm so excited and nervous! Tomorrow I start my all day clear liquid diet and I'll go to my pre-op appointment at the hospital where I'm going to get checked in and talk a dietician, talk to the anesthesiologist and fill out paperwork! Then Tuesday I have to be there at 7:30 a.m. and my surgery is scheduled for 9:30 a.m!

The six months went fast! You will get a binder with all the information you need. You will have visits from barbaric patients that all ready had the surgery (ask all the questions you have then) but that is almost towards the end of the six months.

It is very important that you go to support groups (after you are all done and had the surgery) so you don't gain the weight back, accountability is the key! Plus Pacific Bariatric requires you to go one time before surgery and two after surgery but make it a priority to go as much as possible, you can start now if you want. Go to their page and look for support groups in your area!

A good book to start reading besides the classes is "Success Habits of Weightloss Surgery Patients" by Collin M. Cook (no need to buy the workbook!).

Start tasting Protein Shakes, Premier Protein 30 gr Protein sold at costco is one that most people like but there is Muscle Milk Pro 40 sold at the VitaminShoppe also tastes good and it gives you 40 gr of protein and its not bad but we have heard that our taste/likes on food will change so have a couple of option to choose from. Start drinking 64 oz. of Water everday or build up to it!

Gosh I'm sorry to be all over the place with information!

I wish you all a great journey! ????????????????????????????

Edited by lildawtee

Hi @@lildawtee and @@The Candidate!

@@lildawtee--How exciting to be so close! I'm really hoping I'm in a class like yours =) I keep hearing about classes being really close so now it would be disappointing if I am in a class that's not! As much as I'd like to get to the surgery quicker, like my friend did (3 months start to surgery), i do really think kaiser's structure gives us a much better chance of being permanently successful... And that is super important to me! I'm ready to see the new me!

I found a few well rated cookbooks for life after surgery so hopefully that will give me something to play with. I already do a Protein shake a day typically though I'm wondering how that will work when I have a 2oz stomach. I do it now because when I'm not injured like I am now, I work out hard and also because I don't eat enough Protein in diet alone. I'm hoping they will help me figure out how to get more in. Right now I use Isobolic (which is a bit sweet) and I have used Simply Pure Nutrients as well. I am open to new ones =)

I am worried about losing my hair. I seem to every time I lose weight... And when I'm protein deficient! I'm taking hair Vitamins now and have worked out a deal with my hair dresser so coloring my hair won't be so damaging.

Who was your teacher? I am a scheduled to have Marlena. Seriously can't wait to get started!

@@The Candidate --I feel exactly the same way! It was a little over a month ago that I saw Dr Ray! I was hoping I could get my classes sooner too, but the two that started before mine were either in the morning or all the way down in Chula Vista, which would be pretty much impossible for me to get to on time with traffic. I hate driving down there! So November twelfth it is. Only bummer is I'm guessing this session will take longer because it has Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve in its path!

I am so ready to get this going too! I know that once I start classes it will come easier for me. I'm happy that the classes are going on thru the holidays because I think that will help me make better choices for sure.

My foot is finally starting to improve. I was really getting nervous because it didn't seem to be until a week or so ago. Started noticing it wasn't hurting as much so that is a very good thing. I'm still waiting for podiatry to call and set up my follow up appointment. I'm hoping I can go back to crossfit soon. I know it's going to SUCK in the beginning but I've done it several times before and I'll do it again!

Since we're seeming to start classes about the same time I hope we can stay in touch =)

Cheers!

Jen

Hi @@lildawtee and @@The Candidate!

@@lildawtee--How exciting to be so close! I'm really hoping I'm in a class like yours =) I keep hearing about classes being really close so now it would be disappointing if I am in a class that's not! As much as I'd like to get to the surgery quicker, like my friend did (3 months start to surgery), i do really think kaiser's structure gives us a much better chance of being permanently successful... And that is super important to me! I'm ready to see the new me!

I found a few well rated cookbooks for life after surgery so hopefully that will give me something to play with. I already do a Protein shake a day typically though I'm wondering how that will work when I have a 2oz stomach. I do it now because when I'm not injured like I am now, I work out hard and also because I don't eat enough Protein in diet alone. I'm hoping they will help me figure out how to get more in. Right now I use Isobolic (which is a bit sweet) and I have used Simply Pure Nutrients as well. I am open to new ones =)

I am worried about losing my hair. I seem to every time I lose weight... And when I'm protein deficient! I'm taking hair Vitamins now and have worked out a deal with my hair dresser so coloring my hair won't be so damaging.

Who was your teacher? I am a scheduled to have Marlena. Seriously can't wait to get started!

@@The Candidate --I feel exactly the same way! It was a little over a month ago that I saw Dr Ray! I was hoping I could get my classes sooner too, but the two that started before mine were either in the morning or all the way down in Chula Vista, which would be pretty much impossible for me to get to on time with traffic. I hate driving down there! So November twelfth it is. Only bummer is I'm guessing this session will take longer because it has Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve in its path!

I am so ready to get this going too! I know that once I start classes it will come easier for me. I'm happy that the classes are going on thru the holidays because I think that will help me make better choices for sure.

My foot is finally starting to improve. I was really getting nervous because it didn't seem to be until a week or so ago. Started noticing it wasn't hurting as much so that is a very good thing. I'm still waiting for podiatry to call and set up my follow up appointment. I'm hoping I can go back to crossfit soon. I know it's going to SUCK in the beginning but I've done it several times before and I'll do it again!

Since we're seeming to start classes about the same time I hope we can stay in touch =)

Cheers!

Jen

Hi @@plussizecrossfitter, I hope so as well, actually I think you will because there is no one close to you but them that is going to understand what you are going thru. That is why we get to be so close.

I can see you are preparing well....Good for you, you will see that time will go really really fast!

I'm not sure about how am I going to manage the 2 oz. stomach and drink 64 oz of Water everyday but I been told you build up very slowly, very slowly.

I am worried as well about hairloss and I been taking some Vitamins for that, now it will happen regardless of what we do but it will come back and as long as we eat our 60-70 gr. of Protein we should bounce back sooner. Now as soon as you can take your vitamins after surgery take them (ask your Dr.). At least that's my plan. As it is my hair is very fine ???? . My teacher was Ally and I took the classes in San Marcos. I live in Riverside. But all my doctors are in San Diego where I used to live. I hope you get better soon! As you said you have done it before you can do it again! That is such a great attitude! That will help you with this journey. Now I'm going to be away for a few days as soon as I can, I'll come back to say Hi again and tell you how things are. Thank you for writting back! Take care.....????

Edited by lildawtee

Hello @plusssizecrosstrainer and @lidawtee! For some reason I couldn't get back onto this site until now. I kept trying and trying yesterday. I see you are going away for a few days @lidawtee so I hope I haven't missed you, as I had a couple of questions I was hoping you could answer. How long was it after your classes before you got your surgery date? Were you able to lose the pre-op weight? Was there any homework as Jen was wondering? What other labs/tests were ordered after classes? Did you have an endoscopy done? At what point after class did you get the notice that you were officially approved for surgery? If I'm too late and you're already gone I hope your surgery goes well tomorrow! And please keep us updated on how you're doing!

Sorry for all the questions but I get so excited when I find people who are also going through the Kaiser Southern CA experience; it seems to have the longest pre-approval process of all. There seems to be so few of us online too. I too agree that the long duration will ensure we will be absolutely prepared, but sometimes I feel like a kid the night before Christmas feeling that Santa will never arrive! I've been doing some things to help pass the time like making personal video journals so I'll be able to see the physical difference as I go along and remember exactly how I felt from day to day.

I'm taking my classes in San Marcos too, @lidawtee! I hope my class ends up as close knit as yours was. There was only 16 people in your class? I'm a little surprised it was that small. I hope mine is as well as it will help us all get to know one another better. Jen, I think you and I will finish at the around the exact same time as my classes will also be delayed by the holidays. Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years all fall on Thursday. I'm thinking they will conclude some time in May. @lidawtee, (if you're still around or when you return) did you have any weeks when your classes were postponed?

Jen, I would love to stay in touch and chart our journeys together. I just realized that there's a very real possibility that we might even be in the hospital having surgery at around the same time! It would be wonderful to support each other through the ups and downs. I'm so excited for the both of us! And for your speedy recovery @lidawtee! Take care of that foot of yours, Jen!

Hope to talk more with the both of you soon!

Debbie

Hi Guys,

Sorry I took so long to respond, but I try to stay away from the computer on the weekends!! So glad to hear that you are all doing well. Im about two and a half months post op and Im down 47 lbs now!!! WOO HOO!!! Its going great but the stalls are brutal!!! It really sucks when you are eating right and working out and your body just isn't responding!! But I try just to stay away from the scale for a few days after I notice it not moving for a bit and it removes the stress and he weight loss always catches up!

Its so funny to me because you guys have some of the same concerns that I had prior to surgery and now I don't even give it a second thought. So far my hair has fallen out much (Im still early) but I took the hair skin and nails Vitamins prior to surgery and then started taking them again as soon as the doctor allowed me to. Getting in enough Water is a piece of cake for me. I actually drink normal and have for more than a month now. Every once in awhile I'll have to remind myself that I haven't had anything to drink, but I can drink a normal amount (no one ounce sips...I haven't done that since I was in the hospital). I haven't had any issues with food...except ground beef....my tummy does not care for that and honestly I wouldn't have eaten it, but I was traveling for work and had to go to all these dinners where choices were slip!! My advice would be to avoid travel in your first 3 months!! But I brought my Protein drinks and crystal light packets and it was alright!!

As far as the classes go, I can't say that I enjoyed them as much as some people do. Im a huge researcher and much of the stuff they taught just came off as basic or very common sense and when I would ask a specific question and my teacher did not know, I lost faith in her. We also spent up to 45 minutes of each class working out...which is great, but she would not cover the information in the binder that we were supposed to be covering because we spent so much time working out. I think your class experience can really depend on your teacher. You'll see if you ever have to make up a class with another teacher that they are all super different in their style of teaching the information. I would love to have had all the guest speakers that were talked about above, but that never happened, I think we had one the whole time

The next thing I'll say about the class is that looking back, I think that Kaiser goes over things in a way that suits both types of surgeries that they offer, but much of what they teach is for the RNY patient and/or is the worst case scenario. Which is kinda good because afterwards you are just left feeling like everything is so easy compared to how they taught you things would be in class....of course I recognize that everyone is different, but just from my personal experience and the friends I've held onto from class, the whole process is a lot easier that Kaiser makes it out to be. Also, the surgeon does over ride a lot of what Kaiser says. When you first go in to meet your surgeon, they give you a disc that has a pdf on it with information about the surgery and your surgeon will strictly want you to follow those guidelines as far as introducing food after surgery (I'll try to attach the pdf...if not you guys can send me your emails and I can forward it to you) The guidelines that the surgeon gives you differ in ways from what Kaiser says, but I stick with my surgeon!! For example, I was having a pain at my main incision a couple of weeks post surgery...turns out it is totally normal because the inner stitches were just a little tight and they were pulling....my surgeon gave me another round of pain meds to help me sleep at night and when kaiser found out they told me to stop taking them and switch to tylenol.....overall, it would just be better if they were on the same page about things.

My class was also super close during the class and the surgeries. We have definitely separated some since as it was easy to stay a tight group when we were all focused on surgery, but after surgery is complete and you start settling back into normal life, we just separated, because we didn't have too much in common once the surgery wasn't connecting us anymore. There has also been a degree of competitiveness that took place. Don't get me wrong, everyone was happy for each other, but when some people lost weight faster than others, it created some tension. This all being said, I still talk to my best friend from the class almost daily and there's a smaller group of us getting together on Saturday for bowling!! Your classmates offer great support!!

I just scrolled through the messages to answer a couple of questions...but let me know if there are specific additional ones as Im happy to help!! For class there was no homework in my class...however, i heard that some of the classes were required to turn in food logs each week. For Protein I still do the Premier Protein from costco. I did the nectar protein right after surgery cause for that first week you need a clear type of protein and I haven't touched the stuff since!! That first week home, I was so sick of that protein that I couldn't wait to be rid of it, so make sure you get one you really like!! Or have a second options available!! Your tastes do change also, I literally think that scrambled eggs are the greatest thing on the planet after surgery...they were alright before surgery, but I just love them now. And I hate hard boiled eggs now and I used to eat them all the time before.

Anyway...Im all over the place with my comments, please let me know if you have any questions!!

Hi @@Photo925 thanks for checking in! I've been thinking about you a lot so it's good to hear you are doing so well. 47 pounds down already - that's phenomenonal! I especially love hearing that pretty much everything we worry about pre-surgery turns out to be a non-event for the most part post surgery. I guess it's just human nature to be inquisitive to the nth degree about something you've never encountered before.

Have you already ready the point where you're saying the gastric sleeve was the best thing you've ever done? I'm sure things will start to speed up time wise once I get to start the classes next week. Thanks for sharing your info with us on your experiences. I know I'm going to have more questions later on.

Congrats again on your amazing success. I can't wait to be where you are now. How is the exercising coming along? Any difficulties there? How long did you stay home from work and was it hard going back? Was the exhaustion as bad as they say? How was the hospital stay?

Thanks again and hope to talk to you soon!

@thecandidate the sleeve was definitely the best thing I've done to take my life in a positive direction!!! Exercising is great now! I have great energy and only have tobe careful about when I exercise and when I eat. Since you can't snack, I try o eat my lunch a little later if I workout after work. I only got cleared to exercise at the end of sept...until that point I could still only lift under ten pounds.

I wouldn't say I felt a lot of exhaustion. Maybe the first couple days back to work because your getting back in the swing. Then there was one day I helped my sister move...I still didn't lift much but after a day of a lot of activity, I was beat!! I stayed home from work for two and a half weeks and was in the hospital for three nights...surgery on Wednesday and I went home on Saturday. There were two people in my class that had to stay in the hospital longer, but the rest of us had the standard three nights.

I'm happy to chat or answer questions!!

Kristina

Hi all!

@@Photo925 – You’re awesome =) Loved your responses—I feel so much better prepared for what is to come. So excited for you with your weight loss and love that working out is even easier! (I am SO EXCITED about that part!) I felt very much put at ease reading your posts. I really hope that I am like you and have good energy and don’t lose much hair… I’m afraid because I’ve lost a lot before, however—I wasn’t as focused on Protein at that point—didn’t really think about it at all actually. I actually just had a wake-up call recently: when I stopped working out because of my foot, I stopped doing Protein shakes. My hair started falling out again! So I’m back to doing Protein Shakes and it seems to be slowing back to normal. Am also taking hair Vitamins now too. In regards to the classes, I am a researcher like you. Who was your teacher? I’m curious what they’re going to tell us. I feel like I’m an expert on “dieting”—I know what I should know, the difficulty is actually doing. It’s a fight for sure.

My classes start today! Excited, nervous, and SOOO READY to get this journey going! My family is incredibly supportive of my decision. They are as excited as I am! I’m very lucky because I am very close with my family. I was a little concerned about what my brother really thought and I mentioned it to my dad, and my dad said, no, he is really excited for you—he thinks you’re making a great decision for yourself. That made me feel so much better!

@@The Candidate – definitely down for charting our journey together! I thought your classes started on Tuesday, so yes, with you on Thursday and me on Wednesday, we’ll probably finish within a week of each other! I’ll post how my class went =)

@@lildawtee – I hope all is going well with your recovery!

I think that about covers it for now =) Best of luck to you all!

Jen

Edited by plussizecrossfitter

Since some poeple were wondering about what they talk about in class, I thought I would put the table of contents up from my class so you can see the basics on what is covered:

1. Introduction to Options - Program Goals

2. Establishing a new relationship with food

3. Embracing Change

4. Reasons I often Overeat

5. Benefits of Exercise

6. Asserting Myself

7. Surgical / Medical Info

8. Importance of Nutrients

9. Healthy Physical Activity - Building Exercise into My Life

10. What is Addiction?

11. Assessing me New relationship with food

12. Healthy Physical Activity - Resistance Training