Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Average loss?

I'm just curious on what should be the average weight lost on a weekly or monthly basis? I work retail and am on my feet walking all day for 8 hours, then I walk a mile every night after work. My weight at surgery was 397 and I've lost 25 pounds in 2 weeks so I'm down to 373. Should I be losing more or is this too much too fast?

Hi Tamalyn - congratulations on your weight loss! You've lost a lot very quickly, but I don't know that anyone would suggest it's too much - if in doubt ask your nutritionist or doctor. And I can't believe you're back at work already - good for you! I lost 10 pounds in the first 2 weeks and am now pretty steadily losing about 4 pounds a week. I'm very happy with that - some people lose faster and some slower. I have had no problems, so I'm getting my Protein and Water in easily and I'm grateful for that. The people who have problems eating naturally tend to lose a little faster. Just enjoy the journey to the new healthy body you're developing.

i had my surgery 11 months ago.. ive lost 220lbs.. im at 192 started at 412. about 20lbs per mo average but my results are atypical i believe

chris

Great job everyone its been 3 months for me and I am down 90lbs I could only wish to lose another 220 in 11 months...

start 459

surgery 439

May 28, 2014 370

not sure what the average is but I lost 13 lbs the first week. (only one week out so more will come off before too long)

In my first week I only lost 11 pounds of Fluid weight from surgery - it took about eight days just to get back down to my surgery day weight! At seven months (Christmas) I was down 100 pounds but then hit my first and only stall which lasted 6-7 weeks. Between then and now I have lost an additional 15 pounds. I would like to lose 5 more. I'm 118 lbs, size 6 slacks, and size small tops. I still can't believe it's me when I catch glimpses of my reflection...

people who are larger can lose faster at the beginning of any WLS.....i have no idea why but that is how it was with me..it slows down and then some wonder what is wrong...nothing is wrong...a loss is a loss......now that i am not dropping flies like raid spray does i began to wonder what am i doing wrong? ......truth is, nothing is wrong...some days, some weeks, some months, we will lose more or not at all.......i accept it now as a loss.....whatever it may be, it counts and that is the name of the game, to lose weight.....steadily, healthy and living our lives.........congrats on the super loss so far...well done

I often wonder what typical weight loss should be but I'm learning everyone is so different. My surgery was Jan. 28th. I've lost 48 lbs in 4 months. I had a conversion from the band to bypass so weight loss for some reason with a conversion is slower. I workout everyday and if I wasn't I probably would not have lost what I have. I started at 243 and now weight 195. I am happy though to finally see a 1 when stepping on the scale. I haven't been under the 200's in years!

I am two months out and so far averaging 5lbs a week. 20lbs a month. Hope this phase lasts awhile! Pre op I was 347, day of surgery 293, today 253. Goodluck!

Wow that is a lot. I really wish I'd lose as much as some people here have, in as little time, but everyone is different with weight loss speeds.

i had my surgery 11 months ago.. ive lost 220lbs.. im at 192 started at 412. about 20lbs per mo average but my results are atypical i believe

chris

I've lost 137 over the past (almost) two years. I've been told I'm one of the more successful patients they have over at my hospital that I had gotten surgery at. Only.. 150 to go (to reach final goal weight), so much work left to do for myself. I seem lose about 4-8 per month. Sometimes more.

Edited by alicesandra

Already been said but larger folks tend to lose quicker. That said I was 450 on surgery day and I am 192 today. My average is 10.32lbs per month but I can remember when that average was up around 13 so it definitely dropped as I lost.

I would like to offer a piece of advice to anyone new who reads this thread. ***DO NOT compare your weight loss with someone else*** I promise you it will lead to nothing more than frustration. Every persons journey is unique.

I had the band in July 2013 and lose about 6 lbs per month. I know others do way better, but that's my body. It took so much more to do on my own that I am grateful to now have the band. Who would have thought that I've now lost a total of 124 lbs? I have another 100 to go but I'm not stopping now! Don't put pressure on yourself comparing yourself to others, it isn't worth it. Each of use is unique. You took the first step already, good luck!

I am exactly 8 months post-op, and I have averaged 4.03 lbs a week. Congrats on your success so far, keep up the good work!

You also lose more in the honeymoon period of 6 months right after surgery. I was losing a lot the first 2 months, but am slowing down now. However, up to this point I've averaged 3.3 pounds per week.

It seems like I've been losing 3 - 4 lbs per week. I am down 55 lbs since surgery 4 months ago. I have never been a fast loser which is why I have gotten frustrated with dieting in the past and given up. This time is for the long haul.... it is forever... so I'm pleased as heck to be losing weight consistently. I say that but have had stalls for several weeks and other weeks where I've lost 10 lbs. As everyone else said, it is the process and as long as the scale is moving in the right direction, and it will, you have nothing to worry about. It is surprising how many inquisitive people ask me what my doctor expects me to loose. The good news is there is no expectation, just that the scale moves in the right direction. At my rate, I could be down 100 lbs by the end of Summer and 150 lbs by Christmas! That would be amazing!