Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey, y'all. Forgive me if this has been covered before but do any of you frequent travelers/fliers have any travel tips you care to share?

I haven't flown as an adult and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with everything. There's the possibility of having to buy two seats for myself on the plane because I'm heavy (had no idea that was really a thing they make people do). Then there's the cost of tickets (round trip Georgia to San Diego for myself and my husband is looking like $800+...YIKES). Also worried about how to make sure that we are seated together on the plane (I thought this was a guarantee if you purchase together, but apparently it is not). On top of that, we still have to get the passport process started. Haven't scheduled a date for surgery just yet, but I'm aiming for the last week of July/first week of August.

Any and all tips, tricks, or knowledge anyone would like to share is very much appreciated. I've Googled the holy heck out of all this stuff, but I'd like to hear from the forum.

Ah, and if it helps or matters, I am just barely 5'5" and 240-245 lbs depending on the day and my husband is 6'2" and pretty lean.

Thanks, all.

C.

Hi! I can't help with all of your questions - but I can tell you - I am 5'5" and 327 and I have never had to buy two tickets for myself - I usually request the window seat tho - as it has a little more room and then I'm not hanging over in the aisle seat. Usually if you buy two tickets - usually you sit together - but not always - their are some airlines that let you request things like that - some charge - some don't - just keep looking - I hope you find all the answers you are seeking.

You get to select your seats when you book the tickets. There is also another chance to change your seats when you check in (online or at the airport, it's your choice) so no worries there. Unless the plane is super full you will def get to sit together.

Also, the extra seat thing isn't going to apply in your case. I think you would have to be well over 300 pounds (probably over 350) at least for that to come into play.

You do need to apply for your passports ASAP as it does take at least a month to get them back once you actually submit the applications.

:)

Edited by woo woo

Travel is what I do for a living, so let me see if I can help some:

There's the possibility of having to buy two seats for myself on the plane because I'm heavy (had no idea that was really a thing they make people do).

Some airlines do this, depending on the size of the customer, but it's usually in extreme cases. Since you're traveling with someone, it might not be an issue since your husband will be with you. You might require a seat belt extender (I can't really picture you to know if it would be helpful), but that's always an option.

Then there's the cost of tickets (round trip Georgia to San Diego for myself and my husband is looking like $800+...YIKES).

It depends on the airports you're traveling to/from, the dates, how far out the travel is, and a lot of other factors. Where did you look for fares? I'd check expedia, travelocity, and kayak. If you're interested in Southwest, you'll need to check their website directly.

Also, have you looked at traveling out of somewhere other than Augusta? I would check Atlanta, Columbia, Charleston, Savannah, and Greenville-Spartanburg to see if there are cheaper fares out of there. It might cost a little to drive to those places, but that might be less than the difference in fare from Augusta.

Also worried about how to make sure that we are seated together on the plane (I thought this was a guarantee if you purchase together, but apparently it is not).

Sounds like you're looking at Southwest. They don't have assigned seating (it depends on when you board), but every other airline does. When you purchase your ticket from them (anybody but Southwest), you can select your seats at the time of purchase.

On top of that, we still have to get the passport process started. Haven't scheduled a date for surgery just yet, but I'm aiming for the last week of July/first week of August.

That's gonna be really tight if you haven't gotten passports yet. Not sure what the passport website says, but I would expect a good 6-8 weeks (hopefully shorter). So I think this will be your biggest time obstacle in your upcoming journey. Once you have a idea of when your passports will arrive, then the other pieces will fall into place. As I said earlier, the farther out you're looking at traveling, the cheaper the flights should be.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Feel free to PM me if you wish.

--Josh

Thank you guys! So from what I gather so far I can chill out about having to purchase an extra seat for extra me. Also I should check some of the travel sites for tickets and unless I'm flying southwest I should be able to choose seats at booking. Sounds like the very first step, though, is going to be securing the passports. I will start that process tomorrow.

Thanks so much. Keep it coming if you have more info to share!

C.

Wow. Great tips. And I laughed aloud at the exorcist style vomiting. Thanks so much. I tend to over pack so thanks for that tip in particular. Great information!

C.

I love the pros advice!! At 275 and a very pear shape, or shall I say bottom heavy, I would require a seatbelt extender on about a third of my flights, but never a double fare. When you set down, check the seatbelt, if it's snug at all, just get an attendant's attention and let them know you need an extension. As soon as the finish the inflight training, they will likely let you use the one they use as an example.

Safe travels!!!

Thanks so much for all the tips! I spoke with my patient coordinator who told me that we can travel without a passport as long as we have certified birth certificates and state issued ID. I'm going to go ahead and purchase my plane tickets as I'm afraid that if I continue to wait, the prices will only continue to rise.

C.

If it was me, I would go on and get the passports anyway (spring for the full passport, not the card as the card is very limited and doesn't work for most international travel).

You want to be on the safe side, and the last thing you will need or want to deal with after surgery is issues at customs trying to get back into the country...

Plus once you get it it's good for years and years so next time you want to leave the country you will be set!

@@woo woo You might have a point there. Don't want any hiccups and certainly don't want to get stuck away from home right after surgery. I will research traveling without a passport today and tomorrow. I know if I'm going to get one I need to apply by the first of next week for sure.

C.

Every time I fly I ask for a seatbelt extender. At just over 300lbs and 5'7, I'm an apple shape and need it most of the time. I want to be comfortable and since I usually pre-board as well, no one knows but me and the flight attendant. I'm a travel agent and fly a lot - you'll be fine!

And definitely on the wheelchair! I included that info when I booked my flights with US Air. Flying from Myrtle Beach!

I am a travel queen! See my name? All things travel here. Be right back!

...ok back. I see everyone already answered everything lol.

All I can add is that you can expedite your passport for an extra 60 bucks and get it back in like 3 weeks. Agree that it is well worth it to get the passport over the card unless you just never go international.

Even if you are allowed to board a domestic (within the USA) flight with birth certificate and state ID, you will still need a passport to get across the Mexican border. So you do need a passport. You even need a passport to go to and from Canada now.

"Entry to the US by land or sea: Regardless of your final destination in Mexico, all U.S. citizens age 16 or over must present either a U.S. passport book or card to re-enter the U.S. by land or sea." http://mexico.usembassy.gov/eng/eacs_sheet.html

- Re: seatbelt extender - I just ask the flight attendant standing at the door as I board. They always look at your boarding pass so to direct you to your seat. That is the perfect opportunity to mention it.

You should not need an extra seat as you don't sound that large. Also, having your husband sit beside you means you don't have to worry about taking up space from the person beside you.

Agree 1000000% on not over packing. Anything you really need if you forget, your husband can go out and buy.

Wheelchair - definitely book the wheelchair - do it when you buy the ticket (or call them after you purchase it). By the way, some airlines charge you extra if you call them on the phone to buy it rather than use their website (like 25 bucks extra!). You can also print out your boarding passes at home so you can skip having to do that at the airport. Yay.

Edited by Travelmego

I've heard some folks say that it's a good idea to have a little pillow between your tummy and the belt on the flight home, so maybe I'll get an extender to accommodate me and the pillow comfortably. I guess I won't know until I sit down whether or not I'll need one. I tend to squish out when I'm seated, so it might just have to be one of those things I find out when I try it. Great thing is that if it turns out I do need an extender it will be the first and last time I ever have to ask for one. :)

C.

@Travelmego Great! I'll be right here!