Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I can't keep any food down!

I had VSG surgery on May 6th, and according to my surgeon's plan, I have been on soft foods since Day 3... but for the past couple of days, I haven't kept anything down, even things that I previously tolerated well, like eggs.

Part of the problem might be that I'm having a really hard time knowing when I'm full. Since I'm never hungry, I just seem to go right from being not hungry, to being stuffed. So I try to just portion out a tablespoon or so of food and eat that. I use the eat slower app, set to three full minutes between bites, and I never eat more than 3-4 bites.

What's really weird is that usually I feel okay right after eating, and then 45 minutes to an hour later, start sliming, and then eventually throw up. Today I had 4 bites of chicken for dinner, felt great for 20 minutes, so decided to go for a walk. Halfway through the walk, I started sliming, and eventually ended up throwing up on a neighbor's front lawn because I couldn't get home in time. (I don't think they were home, but a car drove by while I was vomiting, so I may get ratted out)

I guess I just want to hear that someone else went through this too, and that it gets better...

Best advise is to SLOW down. I use "Eat Slow" an app on my cell phone that has me take a bite every minute and a half. Eating slower helps you notice when you are full. I have no began to realize how much I can eat and to stop myself before I get to that point.

Good Luck!

I use the Eat Slower app. I have it set to 3 minutes per bite. That's not it.

Best advise is go back to liquids. Specially if you're having a hard time eating. When you trow up your stomach gets irritated and swollen making it difficult to hold food down. If you continue to eat and trow up you can end up being so swollen you won't be able keep liquids down. Do liquids for a few days then try puréed Soups, yogurt and then progress your diet slowly adding one ring at a time. You just had major surgery give your baby tummy time to heal..

Best advise is go back to liquids. Specially if you're having a hard time eating. When you trow up your stomach gets irritated and swollen making it difficult to hold food down. If you continue to eat and trow up you can end up being so swollen you won't be able keep liquids down. Do liquids for a few days then try puréed Soups, yogurt and then progress your diet slowly adding one thing at a time. You just had major surgery give your baby tummy time to heal..

I am 5 months out next week and I still throw up. It's very normal and it just means that your stomach is sensitive and you are eating faster than what your sleeve can handle. However even though it's very frustrating and annoying, this too shall pass. I throw up once in a blue moon but don't let it discourage you... Know your body and when you start to feel sick just have an exit plan. You will survive and it gets better, just keep your head up. I now weigh 134 lbs from 197 and couldn't be happier. I went from a size 16 to now a size 4. I'm living proof you can do anything you set your mind to. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions

I think maybe it is what you are eating, not the speed or amount. You are only a month out. Seems like chicken might be pushing the envelope. I was on soft foods for much longer (and I mean soft like fish, cottage cheese, etc.). Maybe try going back to soft foods for a few weeks and see if that helps. Good luck.