Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to sleeve revision question

Hello all.. This question is for all of those that had the band to sleeve revision. As far as the process for insurance approval do we have to do the same psych eval, NUT, seminars and ect that was required for the lapband again for the revision?

I depends on your insurance. Just give them a call and find out. I had to and I have United Healthcare.

Good luck!

Yes, I just found that the process is the same, except it still up to your insurance. But when I had my band, i had to have six months of doctors note and psych eval. I know its pain but worth it in. This time new insurance United Oxford is only asing for four month. I am gong to my Doctor friday so I can include this month.

The only thing I had to repeat ( 3 1/2 yrs apart) was the nutrition class (Medicare). Was $300 when I originally took it in 2009 and I about had a cow when finding out they now wanted $500. But my dr waived my fee, thank God. My bmi of over 40 was also waived (it was 28) becuz I had a slipped band. Had to be fixed. Medicare recognizes that obesity is a lifelong disease and that They'd probly have to start over with me in a few yrs, once I developed heart disease, diabetes, or whatever due to my gaining all my weight back.

I've heard some insurances require u to jump thru all the hoops again tho, regardless of the time lapse between surgeries.

Good luck!

Hi my surgery is on Monday, I only had to do the nutrition and information class over, my fee was also waved. I also had a medical reason as well as needing a good tool for life. Good luck

@ MzDimpleszNYC I did't have to wait long. in all it took only a month maybe six weeks, but it all depends on your insurance and doctor's office as far as nutrition class

• MzDimplezNYC, I am currently in the process band to sleeve. I had my Dr visit on Wednesday 6/4, I've done my blood work and upper GI, my insurance BCBSIL requires a nutrition class and a psy evaluation, I do both on the same day 6/16. My Dr requires a stress test that I do on 7/1 and a EGD on 7/10. My Dr's office told me they will be submitting my paperwork to my insurance company on 6/17 with a requested surgery date.

For my revision it took maybe a total of 4-5 weeks. Sent all to insurance company got approval for revision in less than 2 weeks. Went to education class the next week and surgery 2 weeks later. Had surgery on a Thursday and back to work the following Wednesday working 10-11 hour shifts.

I also have united healthcare. Since I had complications with medical records to support it I did not have to jump through all the hoops. Only thing I had to do was pre-op education class. I have an excellent surgeon and he removed the lap band and did the revision in 1 surgery.

Only think I had to do was the pre-op class and I'm set for the 18th this month.

Good For MzDimpliz. I don't have to do a sleep test. I am going have EGD test on June 13. i have to do 3 more months of Primary Dr documentation and my two support groups. I prob wont be able to do my test until Sept or October. Shuks. But just have to be patient.

I just had to meet for a consult with the surgeon. My surgery is scheduled for June 23rd.