Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, all, I am just starting this WLS journey. I've been to the required seminar. I've had my first PCP visit to get started on the 3 month required weight loss and exercise plans. Tomorrow i am going to see the dietician. I want to make the most of this visit but am a little (A LOT) afraid that I'm going to come out of it with no real help. I'm a Type 2 diabetic and have recently been pulled off my evening dose of meds due to a sudden intolerance so I'm fighting my blood sugar being too high. I have PCOS which makes losing weight almost impossible. I can practically gain just by looking at carbs. Does anyone who has been through this process and suggestions on questions I should ask or advice about the appointment? The last time I spoke to a dietician (years ago) I couldn't get through to her that I just couldn't eat like other people and lose weight. I don't want that to happen again. Having this surgery is too important to not get the help I need and I HAVE to lose to get insurance to pay.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Robin

I was a type 2 diabetic. During my 6 month mandated weight loss and exercise program prior to surgery, I lost 20 pounds. As a result I was able to drop my diabetic medicine by a third. This weight loss was primarily associated with going cold turkey by giving up drinking diet cokes. Then I underwent gastric bypass Roux-en-Y surgery a year ago, When I left the hospital, I was taken off all my diabetic medicine and my diabetes has been in remission ever since.

I wonder if implementing some of the post op diet components might help you with meeting your mandated weight loss objectives. Specifically focusing on taking (approved) Protein shakes to up your Protein intake and also the daily Water intake requirements.

Hi, James, That's interesting about the Diet Cokes. I started to stop and get a diet drink on my way home from my Water aerobics class this morning. I decided not to as I wouldn't be able to have them post op and now seemed as good of a time as any to give them up! I'm already drinking 64 oz. of sugar free flavored water. The Water here is pretty nasty tasting so I go with crystal light type drinks. Does it need to be plain water?

I really like the idea of having the Protein shakes now. A lot of times I just don't feel like eating (or no time to stop and eat). I've been drinking Glucerna shakes but I know that they have more carbs than I need.

Thanks for the input. I have something in hand now to go to the dietician with instead of being totally clueless!

I lost 40 lbs before surgery and I was a diabetic also.

From the day of surgery I've been off diabetic meds and have an A1C when last checked of 4.7.

So it can be done.

Good luck tomorrow and you'll be fine.

I am diabetic and have PCOS. Believe me the diet they will put you on, you will lose some weight. It may not be a lot but you lose some. I am only required to lose 5% percent of my body weight before surgery. That was 16 pounds. it was easy peazy on their diet. So don't sweat it! You will be just fine. If you need someone to talk to just private message me. Good luck!!

I saw the dietitian today. The plan she has put me on is two carb choices each at Breakfast, lunch and dinner and two Snacks of one carb choice each. Three ounces of Protein at each meal, none at the Snacks. Hopefully, if I keep the carbs as veggies and some fruit I will lose the required weight. The starchy carbs will have to be extremely limited and avoided if at all possible. I brought up the subject of Protein shakes. She is NOT a fan! "Too many carbs, too much sugar!" When I got back to Waco, I stopped at the store and found some single serve packets of Jay Robb Protein Shakes with one gram of carbs and no sugar so I will being using these when I don't feel like eating a regular meal. I'm also going to look for some unflavored Protein powder to add to smoothies. She was real big on smoothies.< /p>

It's just for three months, I can do this.