Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 mos Medical Diet question????

Hello everyone, I am at the beginning of my Quest for the Band. I have AETNA and have to do the 6 month medical assisted diet. My question is, once you complete the 6 month diet, say you lose lots of weight, will you still be able to get banded once the 6 months are over? :) Will they band you even if your BMI goes down under 35. My BMI right now is 38.5. It was higher a few weeks ago, but I have watching what I eat, prior to going to my appt and lost more weight than I had thought. Sounds ridiculos, to be upset to lose weight. But it's all about the numbers. If you have AETNA, how hard was it to get approved? :help:

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feed back.

Most insurance companies want the 6 month medically supervised diet to show that you CAN'T lose weight via diet and exercise. If you're losing weight, that's good for your health but a BMI of less than 40 will usually mean insurance not covering the band.

Hi ELJMOM, I have Aetna and did the 6 month diet. It was kind of a pain but also gave me time to research my decision and made me realize again how hard it is to lose wgt. and how easy it is to gain it right back when you're only depending on your own willpower. I lost about 10 pounds which let my surgeon and Aetna know I was serious about losing although I didn't kill myself dieting by any means. I also took my time getting the tests done - it took me 9 months to complete everything due to my busy work schedule. Once all the tests were completed Aetna OK'd my surgery in a week - that was really cool! Good luck - the time passes quickly.

Smilliegal

I was right where you are as far as my BMI. My regular physician was very supportive of me getting the lapband and told me just to bring him a food chart for a month and to come in and weigh every month. I actually gained 5 lbs, but still got approved (BCBS).

Thanks guys. Gees, I can see why all the Red Tape, but gees.. I wish to be down the weight in 6 mos, not just starting the process over. I have spent 10 + years, struggleing and then since the birth of my 1st of 3 kids, 7 years ago..., hearing a Dr. say, 'Watch your weight'. Seems the only time I went down and weight was during 2 very hard sick pregnancies. Couldn't eat at the time and he actually told me I had to eat. I told him to tape that request. Not having any more kiddos, 3 will do it. But I want the old me back. Was anyone ever been approved earlier due to work related issues. I am in my off season till Sept. Once Sept is here, the blood pressure does up, the stress starts and I have NO time to take off and recoup from sugery. I just turned 40 and I refuse to struggle with this issue anymore. I have other issues I would like to focus on, such as playing with my kids and feeling more confident when I am in public with them. I seem to have those kids, that everyone looks at and comments about how cute they are (blonde curly heads) and I feel like the ugly stepmom when the compliments come their way. :)

To have that self esteem back, would do wonders. To have reminder inside that actually is there to take action, unlike my head. Is there a count down ticker for this? Cause I need one.

You know, if you have two other co-morbidities, they'll probably approve it without the 6 month diet. Have bad knees? High blood pressure?

And tickeryfactory.com has tickers that can modified for anything :)

I was right where you are as far as my BMI. My regular physician was very supportive of me getting the lapband and told me just to bring him a food chart for a month and to come in and weigh every month. I actually gained 5 lbs, but still got approved (BCBS).

By any chance are you speaking of BCBS of Iowa? I am doing that 6 month diet AGAIN! Over the years I have done 2 of these with my doctor, 1 of them being for over a year. I regained all the weight and then some over time after each. BCBS Of Iowa policy states that the supervised diet has to be done in the 2 years prior to surgery. GRRRRR The first one I did was 99-00 (phen- phen) and then I done another one 3 years ago. I have continuously taked with my doctor about my weight over the years and I actually just messaged BCBS to see if that would count because it was not EVERY month for 6 months straight. My BMI is 48.6 and I am dreading summer. I see the surgeon tomorrow for my consult. Maybe they can push it through. Wish me luck