Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long term physical considerations

Hey Georgia,

I have a question. I am wondering if a corset would help? I have talked to one person about it and they said it did but they didn't have bariatric surgery. I'm just thinking ... maybe one fitted? What would be your thoughts?

This is for any one - maybe we should start a new topic on it? I would love to hear from a lot of people just their ideas or any research.

Victoria

WIth the sleeve, although they say it does nothing, that is sort of ... non sensical. Look at this logically. Gastrectomy does help those with gastroparesis, like me. It didn't cure it but its better than what it was before.

Obviously, when a motility issue is helped by getting rid of the stomach it is going to have an effect on the motility of everything else. Even another GI consult I had said that and they weren't even an expert in it.

http://www.columbiasurgery.org/news/healthpoints/2011_winter/p3.html
http://nyp.org/news/hospital/gastroparesis-diabetes-surgery.html
http://www.columbiasurgery.net/2011/03/22/sleeve-gastrectomy-for-gastroparesis/
http://www.motilitysociety.org/clinician/manuscripts/trtment_of_gastroparesis.pdf
https://web.duke.edu/surgery/2014_Bariatric_masters/session6_yoo.pdf
http://www.dailyrx.com/gastroparesis-diabetes-treated-sleeve-gastrectomy

Great topic. I also have many of the muscle issues other have described, and I think we do need to relearn how to carry ourselves. I saw a special on Discovery Health a while back that I think explained it (at least to me). They showed what obesity does to your body, bones, and muscles. After being obese so many years, our bodies compensated for that by moving and shifting. It showed 3D images of a person ambulating and how the bones bowed under the weight, and how the gait changes to compensate. Once the weight is gone, we are left with that body shape/structure. Even your organs increase in size to compensate for the increased weight and blood flow. I've noticed that my legs look slightly bowed, and they were never like that before I got so heavy. I constantly have to remember to sit and walk straight, and I make an effort to walk with my feet closer together.

I started taking belly dance before WLS. It was part of my last ditch effort to get into shape and lose weight. I do love it as well. I think this has helped me a lot with body changes. There is lots of isolations, yoga based balancing warm ups. After I let my teacher know about my bone spurs in my knee (that showed up after losing weight) and Sports Physical therapists diagnosis that I had very weak hip flexers (especially the tensor fasciae latae ), and I was sitting knock kneed, getting out of the car with my knees together and my feet apart... and stepped down stairs with my knees together... (the signs) she started adding exercises to strengthen that muscle. I have to watch turns, as this may cause flare ups, but it is much better now. I used to have a touchy lower back, but keeping my tail bone pointing down in the "dancers posture" has really made the pain go away. Of course, no one, my PCP, Sports Medicine Dr, my physical therapist or my Bariatric drs ever said anything like this could be caused or exacerbated by massive weight loss...

Edited by feedyoureye

I've heard great things about belly dancing. Done correctly, with people who know what and how they're doing it, it strengthens the core. Good luck!

I've heard great things about belly dancing. Done correctly, with people who know what and how they're doing it, it strengthens the core. Good luck!

and there are tons of drills on youtube you can do if you cant find a class.

MichiganChic I would like to watch that show if you can recall the name of it...

I've been doing the strength program in the last few weeks called efx (elite functional exercise) which really helps on balancing out the back, chest and shoulder muscles (look up exercises like t-squat and pillar reach). It forces absolute mental control over preventing undesirable rotation of the body in different planes. It also provides a really good body weight workout.

A lot of the body weight exercises require relaxed shoulders that are actively pulled into the back using lats and other back muscles. Chest is up, stomach pulled in and chin slightly tucked for a strong core (protects the spine). It is a really good posture to hold everywhere, not just when exercising.

I think a lot of the past pain (and I have had a lot of it in my neck, shoulders and back) had to do with really bad muscular imbalances attributed to a combination of being morbidly obese for so long and being hunched over the keyboard all day. When I had WLS and lost the weight 7 months later, my body had no idea how to balance the muscles because there was so much compensation from when morbidly obese.

There really is something to balancing out the upper body muscles properly. I still have a messed up set of vertebrae at the apex near the neck and in the middle of the back that will probably never go away (so says my PCP), but I am managing it well with mental focus on scapula depression. That is, actively pulling my shoulder blades down using only muscles of back, upper traps relaxed and not involved.

I also have some really good yoga stretches that loosen up the spine in these two areas if I feel them reverting to tightness from chair sitting. And yes I actively do fight this tightness regression because most of my work day is sitting at a computer.

For the first time in many years, I feel I have adopted some techniques now for eliminating previous pain. I cannot tell you how good it feels to be away from that constant neck, shoulder and back pain that haunted me daily since WLS (glad also to be away from NSAIDs now).

Edited by Fiddleman

I've been doing the strength program in the last few weeks called efx (elite functional exercise) which really helps on balancing out the back, chest and shoulder muscles (look up exercises like t-squat and pillar reach). It forces absolute mental control over preventing undesirable rotation of the body in different planes. It also provides a really good body weight workout. A lot of the body weight exercises require relaxed shoulders that are actively pulled into the back using lats and other back muscles. Chest is up, stomach pulled in and chin slightly tucked for a strong core (protects the spine). It is a really good posture to hold everywhere, not just when exercising. I think a lot of the past pain (and I have had a lot of it in my neck, shoulders and back) had to do with really bad muscular imbalances attributed to a combination of being morbidly obese for so long and being hunched over the keyboard all day. When I had WLS and lost the weight 7 months later, my body had no idea how to balance the muscles because there was so much compensation from when morbidly obese. There really is something to balancing out the upper body muscles properly. I still have a messed up set of vertebrae at the apex near the neck and in the middle of the back that will probably never go away (so says my PCP), but I am managing it well with mental focus on scapula depression. That is, actively pulling my shoulder blades down using only muscles of back, upper traps relaxed and not involved. I also have some really good yoga stretches that loosen up the spine in these two areas if I feel them reverting to tightness from chair sitting. And yes I actively do fight this tightness regression because most of my work day is sitting at a computer. For the first time in many years, I feel I have adopted some techniques now for eliminating previous pain. I cannot tell you how good it feels to be away from that constant neck, shoulder and back pain that haunted me daily since WLS (glad also to be away from NSAIDs now).

Great post, FM! I have been experiencing same shoulder and neck issues. A great exercise that PT gave me helps too. You might try it. She recommended that you do it in the morning when you shower (or when you do). You simply stand with arms joined behind your back. Rotate your head to one side and gradually lower your head with turning it back which stretches out those muscles. Rotating from side to side several times. If you have not Water pouring over you while stretching them out it really helps. Glad to hear you are off the meds since LT not great for our small stomachs.

Edited by Georgia

Guys thank you! I am in rehab (neuropathies are killing me) and so this is very helpful. Really appreciate it.

@@CowgirlJane I can't remember the exact name of it. I looked a little and couldn't find it, but when I have a little more time I'll search some more. It was a really interesting program, with 3D graphical images of the bones in motion.I'll let you know if I can find it.

@@Fiddleman Is the EFX program a class or on a DVD? Sounds intersting. I have improved my shoulder issues somewhat through stretching but am having some new upper back and shoulder issues and I think I may be losing muscle mass. I probably should do some strength training but find the machines to be pretty useless, not to mention boring, and I can't afford a trainer. I'm pretty clueless about using free weights but I like yoga and Pilates, both of which can help with strengthening.

Also my tailbone kills me all.the.time. I do transcription and sit at my desk for hours and hours at a time. I can literally feel the bone right under my skin. I sit on a "donut" and it still kills. Trying to strengthen my glutes with the hopes it will help. Glute bridges, single leg dead lift, squats.

+1 to this. I feel like I have a spiked tail now. There's no protection for my tail bone. And it doesn't stick out or anything, it just touches stuff when I sit on springy materials. Ouch.

And I'm finding I sprain/tweak ligaments in my feet a LOT. So I must be walking differently. I've always walked on the balls of my feet, very weight-forward. I've noticed a little muscle loss in the calves and ankles since losing all the weight. I'm sure it's all connected.

And I too slouch a little when I walk. I just assume it's the ghost of twinkies past hanging on my shoulders.

I actually just started to see a chiropractor last week. My lower back has been bothering me since survery, but has gotten more "annoying" the more weight I lose. I'm down 82 lbs and my balance and everything is totally off. I've felt off kilter since losing maybe 50 lbs or so. I'm hoping between the weight training and chiro visits that I can start feeling less weak and tight (something I never thought was possible, hah) and getting back in line. I've had 2 adjustments and actually think they've already helped a little. I'm anxious to see how it all goes. After losing a bit more weight I totally want to get into yoga/pilates.

Ghost of Twinkies past....Haha

I have this weird vest I wear for ours a day that is supposed to remind me of good posture.....this kinda sucks but I feel like it is part of the penance for my ghosts of the past too. I remain optimistic even though I still have some physical problems. My doc said to me....you are a young 49, but you are NOT 19. I asked my girlfriend..what is he trying to tell me exactly? That I am getting old???? That maybe I should ease up on the cowgirl gig? Naw.....