Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi

I'm 2 weeks today post op. I have been on a losing stall for 5 days. But that isn't my concern. It happens to most people. My concern is I don't feel like I have much restriction. I can gulp Water Gatorade2 Protein Shakes? !?? food I can eat about 1 cup of refried Beans w a little cheese avocado and a little fago plain yogurt. Seems like I should have way more restriction?!??

Hi. I'm 3 weeks out and having some of the same restriction issues. Yesterday I was extremely hungry and went to Wendy's for a baked potato. I was able to eat almost the entire potato.

Hi. I'm 3 weeks out and having some of the same restriction issues. Yesterday I was extremely hungry and went to Wendy's for a baked potato. I was able to eat almost the entire potato.

I didn't seem to have much restriction at first, but now I'm over 2-1/2 months out and I can definitely feel the restriction. Maybe it has something to do with healing the nerves that were cut. If I over do things, I won't feel very good, but I won't feel nauseated. I'm slowly learning to "eye" how much food I can eat. I still have a tendency to overload my plate, and throw food into the trash, but I just have to remind myself what 4-5 oz. looks like, and I've been getting better at it.

And today scale says up 1 pound! What gives!

The sleeve is a tool.. it doesn't mean you should just try to fill it as full as you can every time you eat. You actually have to put in some work too. Sip, don't gulp. Limit your portions to 4 oz. or less. Why risk stretching out your new stomach this early in?

The sleeve is a tool.. it doesn't mean you should just try to fill it as full as you can every time you eat. You actually have to put in some work too. Sip, don't gulp. Limit your portions to 4 oz. or less. Why risk stretching out your new stomach this early in?

I do realize this is a tool. But it's the 1st time I have used this tool. And trying to understand it. I don't appreciate your rude tone. Please don't comment if u don't want to be supportive!

P.S. I have put some work in!

I am three weeks out and am also able to "gulp" Water and Protein shakes...have been for the past week and a half...it's actually like several big swallows in a row. I just started soft food and I can definitely feel the restriction more now...for example, I had planned on three small meatballs and a 1/4 cup of mashed potatoes for lunch yesterday and I was only able to eat 1 1/2 meatballs and 3 small bites of potatoes, I was only able to eat a half of a tilapia filet and was pretty uncomfortable afterward..I think solid food tends to hang out a little longer than liquid. Frankly...I love that I can drink normally...sipping for the rest of my life would have driven me crazy!

I decided before surgery that my weight was going to fluctuate...stall, go up, go down. It's the nature of the beast and I can let it drive me too crazy (was up this morning and didn't lose an ounce my 2nd week) I think being a woman and at the mercy of hormonal fluctuations also can have something to do with stalls and small gains.

I'm just going to enjoy drinking like a normal person and keep learning and being aware of what and how much food my sleeve will tolerate.

Start Weight 231

Surgery Weight 220

Current Weight 202.2

Surgery Date 4/22/14

Hi Amy,

I would bring up these concerns with your nutritionist and doctor if you are concerned about the amounts you are able to eat comfortably. I can share where I am and what I was told to do if that helps though every program and doctor is different. I had my surgery on 4/28/2014 and am on blended foods. We are told not to drink Water 30 mins before or after meals (and not with either) because this will stretch out our sleeves. Also get a baby spoon to eat and a digital scale to weigh our foods. Oh they did not say too but my Aunt bought me cocktail forks which has helped me not eat too muck and slowly along with the baby spoon. Eat slowly each meal of 2 ounces should take 15 mins. I bought a tiny ramakin so it looked like I was eating more. My plan says to eat 6 meals a day and drink 32 ounces of Water. 1-2 meals should be 2 ounce Protein shakes for healing. I hope this helps!

Hi Amy, I would bring up these concerns with your nutritionist and doctor if you are concerned about the amounts you are able to eat comfortably. I can share where I am and what I was told to do if that helps though every program and doctor is different. I had my surgery on 4/28/2014 and am on blended foods. We are told not to drink Water 30 mins before or after meals (and not with either) because this will stretch out our sleeves. Also get a baby spoon to eat and a digital scale to weigh our foods. Oh they did not say too but my Aunt bought me cocktail forks which has helped me not eat too muck and slowly along with the baby spoon. Eat slowly each meal of 2 ounces should take 15 mins. I bought a tiny ramakin so it looked like I was eating more. My plan says to eat 6 meals a day and drink 32 ounces of water. 1-2 meals should be 2 ounce Protein Shakes for healing. I hope this helps!

Thank u for the feed back! Yes today I have my 2 week check so I have lots of questions for doc and nut.

Do u really only have a 2 ounce Protein Shake? Mine are 8-11 ounces. Not sure if that was a typo;))) thanks

Edited by Amy373

I am three weeks out and am also able to "gulp" Water and Protein shakes...have been for the past week and a half...it's actually like several big swallows in a row. I just started soft food and I can definitely feel the restriction more now...for example, I had planned on three small meatballs and a 1/4 cup of mashed potatoes for lunch yesterday and I was only able to eat 1 1/2 meatballs and 3 small bites of potatoes, I was only able to eat a half of a tilapia filet and was pretty uncomfortable afterward..I think solid food tends to hang out a little longer than liquid. Frankly...I love that I can drink normally...sipping for the rest of my life would have driven me crazy!

I decided before surgery that my weight was going to fluctuate...stall, go up, go down. It's the nature of the beast and I can let it drive me too crazy (was up this morning and didn't lose an ounce my 2nd week) I think being a woman and at the mercy of hormonal fluctuations also can have something to do with stalls and small gains.

I'm just going to enjoy drinking like a normal person and keep learning and being aware of what and how much food my sleeve will tolerate.

Start Weight 231

Surgery Weight 220

Current Weight 202.2

Surgery Date 4/22/14

If you r only 3 weeks out u should be on soft or pureed foods. Meatballs shouldnt be eaten yet. Actually any red meats in general. Nice soft turkey or chicken like roasted or rotisserie. Deli meat is also a good option. Doesnt the NUT give you guidelines? I know every doctor is different but the eating guidelines dont change. If you want the best results you should follow it all the way! Not trying to be negative just trying to be helpful. Your body has been through a huge change and it needs time to get back.

Seriously???? Do you think I just eat whatever I want without regards to my instructions??? Did I somewhere ask for an opinion or a lecture about my diet??

I am following the plan set out my surgeon and his team after diligent follow up.

Edited by SparkleCat

Hi Amy,

Yes 2 ounces is the size of protien shakes1 tablespoon of protien powder and 1/4 cup of fat free or 1% milk I am using 1% milk. I put in a shot glass so it fills it and it again tricks me so it looks to me like I'm getting a lot. I was told by my NUT that I now have a baby stomach and need to feed it so 2-3 ounces liquid (protien shakes) or max 2 Tablespoons if doing blended every 2 hours if this helps. This comes out to eating 6 small meals a day for now. But like I said ths is just my guidlines your program will be different. But I can say I feel satified. Good luck with your meetings today and if you want to commuicate with me off forum Amy please let me know.

I am a little more than three weeks out also. I can gulp Water, but I have to sip Protein shakes because they make me feel full. I drink one for Breakfast during my commute to work every day and it takes me about an hour to drink an 8 oz. Protein shake.

As far as other foods, I have been measuring my servings with a measuring cup. 1/2 a cup is about my limit at this point. Have you been eating slowly? I notice that when I make sure I am eating slowly I end up eating less (the old brain catching up with the stomach/hunger thing.)

Edited by Scylla

Omg I'm so glad I saw this thread because I'm totally freaking out! Earlier in the week it was taking me over two hours to drink my Protein Shake without discomfort . Today I drank it in an hour and never felt any discomfort at all. Drinking Water is also a lot easier! Have I messed this up already? I'm 11 days post op today :/