Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TJ Options for under $4k (besides the obvious one!)

Hello all,

I am having a heck of a time getting sleeve surgery scheduled with Ponce de leon. I have been dealing with Trudi, but despite exchanging emails for a week I havent heard from her in 3 days now (despite the message I left and email I sent days ago) and I am just getting the feeling This is a sign that I should look elsewhere.

I looked around a bit but most of the surgeries are $4500 or so and the doctors are not ones I have seen or heard of before.

Anyone have any hot leads for me and my wife? We both are wanting sleeve and looking to get it done in june.

Kltklass,

Thank you for all the info. Its not so much about the money. But since there are two of us getting it done, we are hoping to keep it reasonable.

My husband and I went down to TJ and had the gastric sleeve. Friday will be our 1 year anniversary! We have both reached our goals and couldn't be happier. We have also had 6, yes 6 of our friends take the same journey and they are all doing great. We used Alighterme, they where awesome and I would recomend them to anyone. We were able to receive a small discount although I too agree with comment KTLKLASS made that you should also research the Doctors. While I loved ours, it is important that you are comfortable with your choice. Good Luck on your journey.

I went to dr illan at BajaBariatrics.com

His coordinator Omar is amazing and gets back instantly. My husband and I both liked the dr.

This is a 'life-changing event' and a choice you will live with for the rest of your life. Don't sacrifice saving a few bucks with the risk of having complications which could potentially cost you more in hospital and medical bills than the actual surgery itself. $4,500 is already a great value and exactly what I paid for my surgery. I would not go any lower. Dr. Fernando Garcia was my guy and everything went perfect. I could not be happier. After 7 months I am down 100lbs. Just saying.

Edited by Chase30

I went to Mexico, I used Ariel Ortiz at OCC. I had a wonderful experience. I spent six months thinking I was going to use a less expensive surgeon (who shall remain nameless), I saw a nutritionist here in Seattle that specializes in WLS patients. She cautioned me to not use price as my deciding factor and then told me why. She explained to me that a skilled surgeon would know how to shape my stomach properly, and that her understanding was Dr. Ariel Ortiz had a good track record and is very skilled. She had a few patients that used him and did well short and long term. She reminded me that I'd have to live with this new stomach for the rest of my life and if it were misshapen, it could cause problems. She explained to me that a misshapen stomach sort of resembled an hourglass - bell shaped at the top, narrow in the middle, and bell shaped at the bottom. I followed her advice and I don't regret it one bit! For the record, she said she didn't know anything at all about the surgeon I thought I was using, she had never heard of him. I wish you luck in your search! I've heard good things about Dr. Illan and Dr. Garcia as well.

I too am using Dr. Garcia and ready4change. alma has been wonderful and I am scheduled for July1. I did a lot of research and decided to go with a doctor that friends recommended. I hope this helps.

Slvrsax- I am going to use Dr. A Ortiz too. Thanks for your advice. My surgery isn't until next summer though.

Just putting it out there, there are a couple Dallas area docs doing sleeves in the 4k range right now. Just fyi for those still researching.

I dont know of any doctors in dallas doing it under 10-11k except dr.kim. He does a special deal for $5k but you have to qualify. I think it is tough to qualify but not sure.

Will you be staying in a private room in a hospital the whole stay, or will they be sending you to recover in some hotel room? Make sure you get everything squared out, or you might be paying way more that what you think in terms of complications, etc. Just trying to help:) Wish you luck

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches