Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Straight Unfills!?!

About a month and a half ago, I had to get some Fluid out of the band. I was not able to eat or drink and was vomiting. I felt so much better, as an unfill will do. Well, last week I suddenly started to get sick again any time I ate or drank. The first unfill was triggered by vomiting from a Migraine, which irritated the band. Last week, I have NO clue what caused it. I woke up one morning and my shake made me sick. It was downhill from there. Two days later, I was making an emergency trip for another unfill on a Saturday. That was 2 days ago. When he first took some of the fluid out, I felt relief. I was able to drink 3 cups of Water with no problem. It felt awesome.

Cut to yesterday, a day later. I was back to all things except water making me sick. It doesn't matter if it's a shake or applesauce or mashed potatoes. Everything immediately gives me pain in my check and makes me vomit. Back to the doctor I go tomorrow, and I have a feeling I will end up getting more fluid out. I am almost 2 years post-op and this is the most issues I have ever had. I had 2 unfills last year but once I got them, I was doing great. I have no clue what is going on right now.

Has anyone gone through anything like this? I am so utterly frustrated right now.

has your doctor checked for band placement?

He didn't on the last 2 visits, but I am ASKING for an xray tomorrow. There is obviously something not right. When I had to get some out last year, there was immediately relief and I could go back to eating. These last 2, there was immediately relief but only liquids. I even tried ice cream and it caused pain and came back up. :(

These symptoms sound consistent with a band slip. Please let us know what they find at the xray...and I hope a complete unfill will let the band reposition itself correctly, if it is indeed a slip.

Your situation does sound a lot like band slippage. I wish you luck in finding out what is wrong and that it is able to be solved soon.

It does sound like you band may have slipped. INSIST on an x-ray or Floro-scope. Mine slipped and he removed Fluid, and removed Fluid but did not tell me about the slip. Then 3 weeks ago, I began vomiting blood, terrible stomach and left shoulder pains..long story short ..Rescue..ER..Surgery..no more band. This can be a very successful and wonderful WLS tool, but when things decide to go south, it can be a very dangerous tool. My stomach was starting to die. PLEASE listen to your body and if you have to, make your doctor do the right tests and ASK QUESTIONS. I am now 2 weeks post op...finally feeling some better. I miss my band but I do still have my plication. Good luck and keep us posted. I hope your situation improves and you get to continue on with your band.

Melinda in Florida

@@Lori Voss Green Hope you begin to feel better and get to the bottom of the problem…Please let us know….

@@Short and Chunky I remember reading your post about your experience before. How are you doing/feeling. How do you feel with just the plication. I also have the band (still unfilled) and the plication and often wonder what if? I feel like it is my plication that has really kept the cravings at bay and me feeling satisfied to the point of not needing a fill. Although the doctor cannot totally say this is the case they feel it "could be" the reason…I know everyone is so different.

Just wondering how you have been doing.

So glad I went back to the dr today. He did an xray, and the band had indeed slipped a bit. Thankfully, he was able to remove some Fluid and it slipped back to where it should be. Had that not worked, surgery would have happened. I am SO glad it was fixed with taking some fluid out. He told me I will be mad at him when I start feeling hungry, but he is SO wrong. He is a wonderful dr and I am so thankfully he listens and takes my concerns seriously! I go back in 3 weeks for a follow up.

Thank you all for your kind words and support!

Chasinadream - thanks for your kind note..I am doing OK although still quite sore around the naval and waist area. The plication is doing it's thing, but I do miss my band. Since I always had BOTH I am not sure who was doing all the work. At this point, I am 2 pounds down (in 3 weeks) since revision surgery. I am hungry every 3-4 hours no matter what I eat. I will see my doctor in a couple of weeks and I have a visit with the NUT too so I will know more then. He did tell me that my band had formed scar tissue around the top of my stomach so I would "feel like" I still had my band for awhile...Take care and thanks for asking.

Melinda in Florida

Does anyone think there is a connection with the lap band failing and also having placation. I am so sorry you all are dealing with this, and at the same time, I don't mind telling you, it scares the heck out of me.

Genuinely sending healing thoughts and best wishes your way, I feel so badly your having to go through all this.

@@Lori Voss Green: I'm glad they found what was causing your pain and discomfort and that it has been rectified. Thank you for sharing your experience here so we can all be mindful of signs to watch for and act upon.

Get well soon and pamper yourself while you recover.