Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sugar free jello and other sugar free foods? Help!

I am waiting for my approval and surgery date and read a lot about sugar free Jello and POPSICLES--- why do they have to be sugar free considering jello doent have a lot of sugar anyways??? I CANNOT STAND THE TASTE OF SUGAR FREE!!! What to do??? Please be nice and please help with any suggestions.

Because there are calories in regular. Make your own with stevia or other sweetener you like.

Anitadreams Hi they have to be sugar free because with your new tummy you can not handle sugar, the best way to describe it , like they told us in class, sugar is your enemy its like poison to your system and also you can have dumping and other side affects when you eat it or something you should not have.

I am waiting for my approval and surgery date and read a lot about sugar free Jello and POPSICLES--- why do they have to be sugar free considering jello doent have a lot of sugar anyways??? I CANNOT STAND THE TASTE OF SUGAR FREE!!! What to do??? Please be nice and please help with any suggestions.

Anitasdream I'm the same way-in fact sugar free anything with aspartame gives me Migraines, plus it leaves a chemical after taste in my mouth. Yuck. My surgery is May 20th and I've spent the past couple weeks trying to find alternative jello/pops/drinks and I've found quite a few. For instance-Ritas Italian ice has a sugar free line sweetened with Splenda. I picked up a quart of root beer today. I tried some and it's honestly sooo delicious! I'll be stocking up on that instead of pops. I've also discovered a local health food store (that I used to snub my nose at lol) and they had an entire wall of drinks/juice/ Snacks sweetened with stevia. I bought a couple things to try-and they're delicious-I swear! They're are so many options of 'sugar free' out there with so many different sweeteners-if you have the time before your surgery I'd try a variety if things out and see what works best for your taste buds.

Anitasdream I'm the same way-in fact sugar free anything with aspartame gives me Migraines, plus it leaves a chemical after taste in my mouth. Yuck. My surgery is May 20th and I've spent the past couple weeks trying to find alternative jello/pops/drinks and I've found quite a few. For instance-Ritas Italian ice has a sugar free line sweetened with Splenda. I picked up a quart of root beer today. I tried some and it's honestly sooo delicious! I'll be stocking up on that instead of pops. I've also discovered a local health food store (that I used to snub my nose at lol) and they had an entire wall of drinks/juice/ Snacks sweetened with stevia. I bought a couple things to try-and they're delicious-I swear! They're are so many options of 'sugar free' out there with so many different sweeteners-if you have the time before your surgery I'd try a variety if things out and see what works best for your taste buds.

Could you list some of those drinks? I feel getting my liquids is going to be the hardest thing. I need to try Isopure for my Protein. The powder drinks make me sick. Any other suggestions? (: thanks! !

Could you list some of those drinks? I feel getting my liquids is going to be the hardest thing. I need to try Isopure for my Protein. The powder drinks make me sick. Any other suggestions? (: thanks! !

Sure here's the list I've compiled:

Zevia-it's a soda line sweetened with Stevia in case you want something with bubbles before surgery

Steaz- stevia again-awesome flavored green teas

Vitamin Water Zero

Honest Tea Zero

Tazo Zero Calorie Tea

Crystal Light Pure (walmart also has theirs brand of this)

Trop 50 by Tropicana-orange/apple juice along with berry and lemonade juices all sweetened with Stevia

Powerade Zero-has sucralose (Splenda)

And you could always make koolaid with stevia/truvia instead of sugar. Hope this helps!

I am waiting for my approval and surgery date and read a lot about sugar free Jello and POPSICLES--- why do they have to be sugar free considering Jello doent have a lot of sugar anyways??? I CANNOT STAND THE TASTE OF SUGAR FREE!!! What to do??? Please be nice and please help with any suggestions.

To be honest, sugar is really bad for u. It is a fat maker and they strongly encourage u to cut sugar from ur diet but it doesnt make everyone sick post surgery. Everyone is different. Things u may have eaten prior to surgery u cant tolerate after. Personally sugar is not an issue for me. Dont get memwrong, i still dont eat sugar but i can do it. I stick to food that are naturally sugared with fruit or something. But when i eat my greek yogurt it does have some sugars like fructose. I too suggest u making ur own jello and popsicles and us stevia in the raw. It is the best substitute on the market right now i believe. Hou will learn to get accustomed to the new taste. Also a good whey Protein isolate is body fortress. Mix with some skim milk or Water. I also like to make a great Protein shake with some nonfat plain greek yogurt, a little skim milk, a Protein Powder and a little frozen fruit. I blend it and it tastes like an ice cream shake and its high in Protein at about 300 cal. The shake is enough for 2 meals. Good luck to you.

Have hope! If it's the aspartame you hate, that really is being phased out in many foods/drinks now. Splenda & Stevia are being used so much more often now and for a lot of people, they don't taste that yucky aftertaste so many of us hate, hate, hate. sugar-free stuff doesn't all taste as bad as it used to.

For your alternative taste to just the Water you'll be drinking a lot of, maybe also keep a huge jug of Decaf green tea that you brew yourself in the fridge. Well, assuming that you LIKE tea! If you like it sweet, have you tried the newer sweetener on the market "Monk fruit in the Raw". Available in supermarkets in individual packets in a box of (I think) 30 or 40 packets.

You'll find what works for you. It's hard at first to have to resign ourselves to the fact that all these new "rules" are going to be our new normal if we are going to be successful WLS patients. But the end result is so worth all the adjustments to our old lifestyle that we have to make to enjoy the wonderful new life ahead!