Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

St. Louis People

Welcome to our group! Where are you having your surgery done? This board will give you great support. There are a surprising number of us in the St. Louis area. :tt2:

Dr. Wagner does surgeries at St Alexius hospital and the Ballas Surgery Center in Creve Coeur. I am doing the outpatient surgery at Ballas. Wish me luck beacause I am SOOOOO nervous.

For the first couple of weeks we did crush them but I would talk with your doctor about that. Also make sure that he knows what you are taking and make sure that they are on the list. I used to take incidicone(sp) for gout and now I have to use a coating before I take it. I have not had to do that for about 7 months now. I take some other pills and do not have to crush them. I might split them but that is all.

Chris

Thanks for the encouraging words. You absolutly right about the slow and steady-it took yrs to "pack" it on and it will take time to leave it in the "lost and found". I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. Here's one-I have to crush my meds after surgery and last night I decided to try it now and :biggrin: i THOUGHT I WAS GONING TO DIE. I mixed it with Jello and my 19yr old said think of "FEAR FACTOR" but I had to spit it out. Then I mixed some in broth. I was able to drink 95% of it, but it was horrible!!!!!.:thumbs_up: Any suggestions???

Vanessa

I didn't have to crush any of my pills because they were all smaller than an aspirin. I did open my prilosec capsules and swallow the contents in a spoonful of Protein shake for about a week but after that I just swallowed the capsule. My pain medication was a liquid. Every doctor has a different recommendation so it is best to follow your doctor's plan.

Thanks for the advice on the meds. Dr Wagner did say to crush them and I checked with my primary doctor and none of my meds came in a liquid form. It just tastes soooo bad to me. The first time I crushed them, I did all of them together and maybe that's why it was bad. I guess I need to do 1 pill at a time.

Vanessa,

Good luck with your surgery. Dr. Wagner did mine in December. I love it. I tried on a pair of size 10 shorts last night, and they zipped; I am so excited. I have not worn a 10 since I was 10. OMG. I started at a size 20.

The pill crushing thing was a problem for me too. Mine was so gross I threw up. I tried many different things. Now I hate applesauce, but that seemed to help the most, that and yogart, to take my pills in. The only problem I have now is big capsules. The ones with the gel coating. I think the gel starts to melt and it gets stuck. Everything else goes down pretty good. Try one pill at a time, mixing them made it taste so bad.

Again, Good luck and PM me or post a message here if you have any questions.

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you guys know that everything went ok. I'm just a little soar. I'm real sleepy so I will post again in a few days.:) :cool:

Hello, all!

My name is Charity, I'm 23 and was banded on 4/16/08. I have lost (to date since surgery) 7 lbs. I finally have some restriction! HOORAY! I was so frustrated before because I had only lost 3 lbs...now since my last fill two weeks ago, I'm down 4. I guess I've truly hit my sweet spot!

I'm a summer camp nurse and have been trying to watch the junk I eat here. I have been eating the Protein of the meal (if it's not fried, breaded, etc), and a nice big salad with lots of veggies and added meat in it. I also use the Jenny Craig Salad Dressing instead of the regular.

I actually went to Denver to have my surgery with Dr. Kirshenbaum. He was a fabulous surgeon - I went there because my BJC insurance didn't cover it. :cool2: I had to fight to even get half of it reimbursed through flexible spending! *sigh*

Anyway. As I said, I'm 23, I'm a pediatric RN at Children's, and live in South City. I would love to find a group of bandsters in my neighborhood or area to start walking with a few nights a week. I work on Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights, so I'm free Tues-Fri. I am sadly lacking in the exercise department, and I know that having someone kick my butt has worked for me in the past. :smile:

So, hello! I'm glad that I found some St. Louisans to join me on my journey! :smile:

I am just starting to really consider this. My BMI is 55.? so I know that's really bad.

I work for BJC and have heard the ins for us does not cover this. Is there anyone out there who can confirm this?

I am only 50, 51 in Sept. but I want to be able to get down and play with grandkids, take the dog out for a walk, or just do anything and not have to sit and rest after about 3 min.

Can you also give me some good info to read up on this. I have no idea what any of this entails.

Karen322

The best way to find out about your insurance is to call the number on your card and ask. I found out after I chose a doctor that my insurance didn't cover that practice so I had to start over with an "approved" doctor. It's a headache but soooooooo worth it. I love my band.

Hi all St. Louisans,

I am looking for walkers to motivate me to walk and walk with, after work a couple nights a week.

I was thinking we could change it up and meet up at different parks or walking areas to keep it interesting. Anyone interested.

I've got to start something. I have done little if any exercising since surgery.

I live in the city downtown.

Hi Ann --

I'd be interested in walking ... with a caveat, I sprained my ankle 9 weeks ago and found out yesterday that I have some torn ligaments, so assuming my doc does not think I need surgery or continued restricted activities, I am up for it. Since the sprain, I have not been working out much and need the activity. I should know the outcome on Thursday.

I work downtown and live in Lafayette Square.

Cynthia

Hey All, I would like to walk as well. I will be unable for about a month to 6 weeks. I have to have foot surgery on Friday. I would love to have people to walk with when better. I live in Benton Park close to Lafayette Park. Keep me posted on when and where you all walk. I can't wait to get moving. Cosmo

I was the doctor monday and doing well. Iam now in the 100's have not been here in years. I hope to be at goal by my one year with the band. Iam only 20lbs away. Still holding well with fill from last month. Looking at also having another sleep study in Sept. and hope to not have the machine and just the herbest appliance. Wife is doing well also.

Chris