Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

St. Louis People

Congrats Chris, You are doing so well.

I cancelled my fill appointmnet for today because I feel like I am plenty restricted and the doctor agreed with me. I go in next month for a regular check-up without a fill.

I'm interested in walking also. I live near Tower Grove Park and work at Wash U. Let me know when you plan to walk and I'll try to be there. I've been trying to get in 10,000 steps a day but it's much more fun with a walking buddy.:biggrin:

I am getting banded in 10 days. Your story is what my biggest fear is. I know that I will have to work on this. I have research WLS for 8 years now. Starting with Bypass, even before Lapband was on the market. But... I know what I need to do....It is will I do it? Can I sttop eating when the band says stop? That is my fear.... Thaks so much for your story. Good luck with you new success.....

Edited by Tawna
ooops

Newbie here...

I'm a mom in the metro east - no - not THAT metro east. :thumbup:

But, we're on the IL side and I'm getting some conflicting information about who to go to. And, who has additional fees, assuming that the insurance (UHC) covers it.

Also, what is a co-morbidity? My BMI is over 40.

Thanks!

Glad you are here. This is a great place to go for support and to get your questions answered.

A co-morbitity is a condition that is made worse by obesity, or that obesity contributes to, like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, arthritis, etc. With a BMI of 40 you shouldn't have too much trouble getting insurance approval as long as bariatric surgery isn't an exclusion on your policy.

I am pretty parcial to my doctor, Dr. Scott at DePaul. I think DePaul has a great support system and an all around good program. There are several good programs in the STL area so you have a lot to choose from. I haven't had a lot of "extra" expenses that my insurance hasn't paid for. The Vitamins and Protein suppliments can be pricey but when you consider how much less I am eating, I think it evens out.

Good luck in your search for a doctor and getting all the i's dotted and the t's crossed. It is a daunting endeavor but so worth it.

Thanks. I don't have any weight-related health issues. Or, any issues for that matter, health-wise. Is there still hope for eligibility?

Does Dr. Scott have any out of pocket expenses in addition to co-pays for hospital?

Does DePaul do outpatient surgery?

They don't have any "up front" charges. I have to pay a co-pay for each fill and I had to pay co-pays for the hospital but other than that there have been no extra charges. I think I had to pay the psychologist a "paperwork fee" but insurance paid for most of her bill.

I didn't have any weight related health issues either so there is hope for insurance approval.

Dr. Scott requires a one night stay at the hospital. I was glad I was there, the adjustable bed was easier to get comfortable in than my bed at home. The IV fluids helped too because you really don't feel like eating or drinking much. The nurses at the hospital were great and really understood the bariatric surgery.

Welcome to the group Slow and Low. I understand that you have UHC. I also have UHC Pro and was approved in less than 30 days. I can forward you a copy of the letter that I used. Have you talked to UHC to see what doctors are under your insurance program. We went to Dr. Minkin at Des Pers Hosp. UHC also is taken at DePaul as I understand. With UHC they were looking for 5 years of weights, medical issues you have, diet programs that did/did not work. If you have any questions just ask here or e-mail me at vcw61@excite.com. I will be one year in Sept. It is the best thing we have done.

Chris

Hello, Slow and Low. I'm also a patient of Dr. Minkin at Des Peres Hospital. If you are still looking for a doctor, I highly recommend going to one of his seminars and meeting him. I think Dr. Minkin is the greatest. I was banded on 2/28/08, about a week and a half shy of 6 months ago. I've lost 91 lbs, all thanks to my band. I can't help on the insurance thing as I have BCBS. Good luck to you!

Hi all! :thumbup:

I'm also a St Louisan - I was banded in Denver with Dr. Kirshenbaum because BJC's insurance doesn't cover WLS. :wink2:

I've lost nearly 20 lbs - I had a rough start, as I wasn't getting any restriction, but boy let me tell you - after I got my second fill, it's been amazing! The weight literally drops off...with my first and second fills, I lost...3 lbs! THREE! But now, I've lost another 14 in the last month, so I'm a happy girl.

I'd love to get to know some StL bandsters a little better - because my surgery was so far away, I don't have an actual support group, rather just what's on here.

Good luck everyone! :thumbup:

Hi all! :thumbup:

I'm also a St Louisan - I was banded in Denver with Dr. Kirshenbaum because BJC's insurance doesn't cover WLS. :wink2:

I've lost nearly 20 lbs - I had a rough start, as I wasn't getting any restriction, but boy let me tell you - after I got my second fill, it's been amazing! The weight literally drops off...with my first and second fills, I lost...3 lbs! THREE! But now, I've lost another 14 in the last month, so I'm a happy girl.

I'd love to get to know some StL bandsters a little better - because my surgery was so far away, I don't have an actual support group, rather just what's on here.

Good luck everyone! :thumbup:

I attend the support group meetings at Des Peres. Those who attend are usually Dr. Minkin's patients but we also get DePaul and St. Alexius patients. You'd definitely be welcome. Most people who come are band people. We meet the 4th Thursday of every month at 7 pm at Des Peres. Here is the schedule: http://www.despereshospital.com/NR/rdonlyres/9862A818-4616-4334-AC91-AD31FD30E4F5/141486/SupportGroupCalendar.pdf

Ok, so if I weigh myself one day and I weigh 277 but, don't update my profile and then the next day I weigh 278 can I still put 277 on my profile? :-) Which is the lowest I have been since 2003 Yahoo!!

Wife down to 202, had her galblader taken out and lost 5 lbs.

was thinking about taken mine out :-)

but I didn't think they weighed that much.

Hello everyone in the St Louis area. I am glad to see we have a good support group here.

Nice to meet all of you

It is hard to beleive that it has been 13 months since I have been banded. A lot of things have happen since being banded and I will do that in another post.In June of 2007 I went in for a sleep study and found out that I did indeed have sleep apena. I was put on a CPAP machine in August 07 and did ok with it. I was banded in September of 2007. After being banded I was having some issues with the CPAP machine, in regards to being bloated all the time and taking the mask off at night. I talked with my doctor about this and he had the machine set to the lowest settings. He also suggested that I look into getting a dental applaince. I went and meet with the dentist who deals in sleep apnea and she said it would not be a problem and so it took about 4 months to get it approved by insurance. I was fitted with the herbest retainer in February, 2008. I went back to my doctor who handles the sleep apnea in August and he was real pleased with the way I looked and the amount of weight lost. So the doctor order a new sleep study. I had the sleep study on year to the date of being banded. I will say that the band can help people get away from using the CPAP. Keep in mind that everyone is differant and what works for one might not work for the other person. Here is the results of the study:Per BandOriginal study (pre weight loss) Weight 250 BMI 40Breathing event per hour: 68Total breathing cessation per hour: 49Lowest recorded oxygen level: 70%BandedNew Study: post weight lossWeight 186 BMI 29.1 Breathing events per hour: 19.4Total breathing cessation per hour: 19.4Lowest recorded oxygen level: 91%With the Herbst Retainer Dental Device:Breathing events per hour: 4.6 (counting little bitty ones 6.2)Total breathing cessation per hour: 4Lowest oxygen level: 92%It turns out that with the Herbst, you are worst when you lie on your left side. Then you have 8.3 events per hour. In dream sleep, you have 10.2 events per hour.I went to the sleep doctor this week to review this study and he said that I could stop using the CPAP Machine and continue with the Herbst Retainer. He also said that my numbers were low enough that even if I did not use the retainer that I could do away with the CPAP. He also felt the numbers would go down lower with more weight loss. My goal range is between 165-175. He also said that I did not need to come back and see him unless I feel that Iam having problems. He said that I can just go back to the dentist and get a new herbest retainer when this one wears out in a few years. Also I no longer have any snoring issues either.So as you can see here proof is in the pudding about the band and how it can help everyone out. It just takes a lot of time and effort to make it all happen. It does not happen overnight.Chris