Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fitness and loose skin

How many active post op folks at or close to goal have found fitness actually helps tighten loose skin?

Being about 2 years out, I am quite active, eat clean, hydrate well, take supplements (eg multi and fish oil), yet still deal with some abdominal loose skin (1/8 inch if pinch with fingers) as well as a little upper thigh loose skin. It is not terrible, yet annoying. I was hoping that putting on muscle would help. While I have a 32 " waist as well as visible definition in arms, chest, shoulder, legs and back, the 6 pack abs eludes me no matter how much lifting, cardio and ab work I do. I understand that ab work will not take care of the fat layer and I do purposefully burn mad calories whenever I can to reduce fat. Body fat % is not single digit yet, but is low to mid teens.

Has anyone achieved their skin goals without cosmetic surgery? Please share your experiences and stories.

As an aside, here is a good article from Tom V. on weight loss and extra skin:

http://www.burnthefat.com/loose_skin.html

Not specifically about WLS, but I feel the information can apply to us.

Fiddleman, I would like to hear about the veteran experience with this as well. I am trying so hard and am working out just short of body building....and still waiting for results. I am even doing the exfoliate and moisturize stuff too. Oh, man...I am hoping for good news here.

I have no loose skin....or very little that's noticeable....

Not sure exactly what did, or perhaps a combination of things.....

I like to work out 5 times a week, first thing in the morning on an empty stomach to burn stored fat as my energy source....

I have access to have a full body analysis done at my health club, and I have lost all possible body fat that is healthy.....(could care less about BMI's)

I drink 32oz of Water from start to finish of my workouts....which consist of 3-5 mile runs, then weights and core training....

At then end of my workouts, I'll sit in the sauna (165 degrees) for 15 minutes, open the pores then take a soapy hot shower, then back in the sauna for another 15 minutes....after which I take a cold shower, or an ice plunge when available....to close the pores....

I also sit in a whirlpool, but I don't think that has anything to do with skin/muscle tone.

I am also sure to always to use a good moisturizer....

Edited by B-52

Good idea on the use of sauna. Fortunately I have access to an infrared sauna so will try this. I do dink about 32 oz during each workout, usually with xtend bcaa mixed in.

I have been thinking about this a little as well. No plastic surgery in my future. I have some loose skin in weird places and specifically my abdominal area. I do have a 4 pack tho and will soon, I just know it have a 6 pack. I am in the gym 6 days a week, hate cardio so I leave that for the trails. I work out with HR above 145 almost always and have some killer HIIT circuits that either are total body or isolatory in fashion. My new workout friend is a younger collegiate athlete female that brings it daily so it keeps me pushing. We work out very CF/FX like for the most part. My arms are right, calves are making huge cuts along with thighs. My ONLY trouble spot will be tummy I think but it will get there. I am only 14 months post op and have lost over 160#s and gained over 25lbs muscle. My body fat % a month ago was 13.

It's a tough call and way too many variables to know for sure if it (fitness) helps everyone. For me, yes, I think it has helped some. But I was a rather low BMI'er (one of the many variables) before surgery and haven't lost as much weight as the typical sleever. I'm guessing it's a little harder for women to reap the benefits since typically they cannot add as much muscle as guys. Then there's the age variable and how long post op one is.......I'm 2 1/2 years post op and 41. As for my personal experience, I really haven't noticed any loose skin. One exception may be that when I'm a little dehydrated or my Water intake is low, every once in a while it seems my neck may have the slightest bit saggy look. But I can't tell for sure and wonder if it's the lighting or something else making me wonder if it's a little loose or saggy, but I usually don't see it or anywhere else on my body.

Oh and sorry Fiddle, I forgot to answer about surgery. I've not had any plastic surgery or use any kind of lotion for moisturizing, but I've heard that can help.

Edited by aroundhky

You know Fiddle, it comes down to the fact that there are too many variables. Genetics comes into play and dictates whether or not you are blessed with naturally great elasticity or not; the amount of weight loss in "X" amount of time (the greater the loss in minimum amount of time, the less you skin is able to adjust to you body and vice versa); your size pre-op (the bigger you are, the more stretched out your skin is, the harder it is for it to go back or adjust); age: the younger you are, the greater the elasticity and the older you are, the lesser the elasticity in your body is able to function (again, genetics comes into play here as well). For women, other factors come into play, like pregnancies and the inability to build as much muscle mass as men.

Building mass definitely helps, but I think for the MAJORITY of weight loss patients, they will just have to deal with some or a lot of skin issues. Hydration, supplementation, physical exercise and mass building all aid in diminishing it, but they will not resolve it for most people <_< . Frustrating, I know. I have come to terms and pretty much accepted that I would have left over skin. I have ALWAYS had poor elasticity and knew that it was going to hinder some of my progress. People like @aroundhky :P are the non-majority and are fortunate to not have to deal with the left over skin.

You have had an awesome transformation, both physically and in the new habits you have gained or substituted in the replacement of your old eating habits. You have inspired me and so many others on this site. Good luck to you and I hope you get your six pack! ;):D

Fiddle, I second what Curvy said, you've done great, transformed yourself and picked up some great habits along the way...those are really good things.

Curvy, last summer when I busted it to lose those last dozen or so pounds to get to "goal weight", I noticed a little sag then, but I also lost some muscle in the process. That 215 was just not a good weight for me. 230's is better for me...I have better/optimal strength and no skin issues....even though I'm guessing my Dr would want me to stay around the 215 mark.

Fiddle, I agree with what others have said, there are too many other issues to factor in. I am 42, have had 3 children and had surgery 3 years ago. I worked out before surgery and have continued to work out. I have quite a bit of muscle, I posted pics on here a couple weeks ago, but I have a lot of loose skin. Most of it is on my hips/butt. I have been told that there isn't amount of exercise or weight training I can do to take away the loose skin. I have to have surgery to remove it. I will say that, for me, building muscle has disguised some of the loose skin. I think the skin issue is usually worse for women than it is for men.