Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pouch pain is your own fault- interesting talk with my PA

I had my 3 week post op check up with the PA on Thursday. We spent a good deal of time talking about pouch management. The one thing she drilled in was my responsibility with regard to filling my pouch properly, hunger and pain.

She said pain in my pouch occurs when I have done something wrong. It's not caused by food choices, but how the I manage the food. She said pain happens when either bites are too big, or when you eat too fast. She told me to focus on those 2 things and not on measuring and how much I think I should or should not eat.

My instructions are to take bites no bigger than my thumb nail and chewed each and every one up well. These bites should be spaced out 45 to 60 seconds apart. Eat for for 25 minutes. She said 25 minutes = 5 hunger free. 20 minutes = 4 hours hunger free. 15 minutes = 3 hours free. I'm on a 3 meal a day no Snacks plan. So for now I sit at the table with my timer. I hope the pacing eventually becomes a habit and a natural occurrence. I also really need to run out and buy some adult looking "baby" spoons because my neon colored ones are not good for out of my house eating!!!

Good info!

I found some little hors d'oeuvre forks that are just the right size :) Now if only I could find matching spoons.

I put the "Eat Slower" app on my phone to start practicing preop. I KNOW I rush through meals and this app lets you set a timer between bites to slow you down.

I don't know if I can agree with the idea that "ALL" pain is the fault of the pouch owner.

I have aquired many food intolerances just recently. In the beginning I couldn't keep chicken or turkey down, now almost all meats upset my pouch. I wouldn't say that's my fault.

As for hunger?

Some weeks I'm never hungry and others I am eating every three hours. I think once you find a system that works for you, stick to it.

I definately think what is the hardest thing since my surgery is getting my fluids. I have to make a conscience effort to get my fluids in.

Edited by WildGrits

<p>I had my 3 week post op check up with the PA on Thursday. We spent a good deal of time talking about pouch management. The one thing she drilled in was my responsibility with regard to filling my pouch properly, hunger and pain. </p> <p> </p> <p>She said pain in my pouch occurs when I have done something wrong. It's not caused by food choices, but how the I manage the food. She said pain happens when either bites are too big, or when you eat too fast. She told me to focus on those 2 things and not on measuring and how much I think I should or should not eat. </p> <p> </p> <p>My instructions are to take bites no bigger than my thumb nail and chewed each and every one up well. These bites should be spaced out 45 to 60 seconds apart. Eat for for 25 minutes. She said 25 minutes = 5 hunger free. 20 minutes = 4 hours hunger free. 15 minutes = 3 hours free. I'm on a 3 meal a day no Snacks plan. So for now I sit at the table with my timer. I hope the pacing eventually becomes a habit and a natural occurrence. I also really need to run out and buy some adult looking "baby" spoons because my neon colored ones are not good for out of my house eating!!!</p> <p> </p> <p> </p>

Amullf2...you are 3 weeks out, how long did it take to start feeling better? I'm only 4 days post op but I can't wait to feel better, at least a little more energy.

Amullf2...you are 3 weeks out, how long did it take to start feeling better? I'm only 4 days post op but I can't wait to feel better, at least a little more energy.

JoleneB, I am 4 weeks post op tomorrow. I'd say week 1 was really tough and each week after got better. Actually each day got a little better. Looking back so much of the "blah" early on was related to comfortable sleep, or lack there of. I'm still having energy issues. I've had to add some non-traditional fluids and I've doubled my B12.

Now that I am eating more "real" food" I feel more "normal" which I think is also helping.

Hang in there. Each day makes a huge difference!

I had my 3 week post op check up with the PA on Thursday. We spent a good deal of time talking about pouch management. The one thing she drilled in was my responsibility with regard to filling my pouch properly, hunger and pain. She said pain in my pouch occurs when I have done something wrong. It's not caused by food choices, but how the I manage the food. She said pain happens when either bites are too big, or when you eat too fast. She told me to focus on those 2 things and not on measuring and how much I think I should or should not eat. My instructions are to take bites no bigger than my thumb nail and chewed each and every one up well. These bites should be spaced out 45 to 60 seconds apart. Eat for for 25 minutes. She said 25 minutes = 5 hunger free. 20 minutes = 4 hours hunger free. 15 minutes = 3 hours free. I'm on a 3 meal a day no Snacks plan. So for now I sit at the table with my timer. I hope the pacing eventually becomes a habit and a natural occurrence. I also really need to run out and buy some adult looking "baby" spoons because my neon colored ones are not good for out of my house eating!!!

Thank you so much for sharing this info. This is one I can relate to.

That is soo true!! I am over a year post op and haven't had many problems... I came home the other night after being out all day and not eating for 7 hours( I usually eat every 3) an I was soo hungry I ate my dinner way too fast! As soon as I did my pouch hurt soo bad!! I was in horrible pain for hours! I will never do that again!

I'm 2 months out, and I find that if I have pain in my stomach its because I know I did something wrong. Now, if you are following all of her advice and still have pain its time to let them know. Good luck to you :)

I'm so grateful to have found this particular thread. This helps so much. I'm about 16 days post op and still learning what works, what doesn't and why. This is great.

I found some little hors d'oeuvre forks that are just the right size :) Now if only I could find matching spoons.

I just bought tasting spoons at The Christmas Tree store. I also got the hors d'oeuvres forks there as well. They came in boxes with six for $6 for each box :).

Hi all, I went to the baby section at Walmart and bought a pack of 8 baby spoons and baby food containers with lids that are freezer and microwave safe :)