Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have the 1st fills helped?

OK so I just had my first fill yesterday 1cc. I'm still on the liquid diet for most of today, but I was wondering has anyone had much success with their first fill? I'm a little discouraged because I was hoping to not feel quite so hungry this next month like I have the month before (before the fill). However after reading a few threads it doesnt sound too promising! Is there anyone out there who has felt some good restricitions after their first fill? I need some words of encouragement!!

P.S Although I've been fighting the Bitch i like to call hunger, I've still managed to kick her ass:boxing: and lose 20+ pounds! :rolleyes:

Paula, you are doing great. Personally I was back at the doctor ate 2 weeks to get another fill. The 1st fill just took the edge off a little bit. I think he filled me with 1 or 1.2 ccs. I am up to 3ccs 10 months later. It took me 5 fills to finally feel the restriction I needed. 8 months later. Julie

I just had my 1st fill on friday, 1cc. I can definetly tell a difference. I am eating very little and feel full fast. Lost 6 lbs (according to my scale) since friday but i believe at lease 2 were Water weight due to my period which is almost to be over. I know it is soon, but I think it will work.

I didn't feel any difference with my first fill. Fortunately Mr Krysztopik was available to give me another fill 7 days later. I am now optimally restricted and have lost 8lbs in 2 weeks. Don't worry if you don't get perfect restriction from your first fill as most doctors are very conservative when doing band adjustments. Hope all goes well for you!

I had my first fill Thursday,,and I can tell by the reduced amount that I'm able to eat/drink. My MD got on me for not exercising,,told me to get my bum to the gym and just sit there and watch if I didnt do aything else. He said , eventually,,I'd get up and exercise. I admitted to him i had been eating erratically adn eatins sweets,,he reminded me(in a very honest and point blanc way)that if had chosen the roux-n-y,,,i wouldnt be able to do that without bad repurcusions,,but the band ,,,i had to made healthy food choices. I appreciate his candor,,he doesnt pull any punches and talks to me like a peer. SOOOOOOOO,,,,,YES,,i can feel a defo change in hte amounts that it takes to fill me up. OH,,he reminded me that I should be eatting solids more,,not Proteins shakes for brekkie,,solids stay with you longer,,satisfy you more. After my fill,,which was totally painless,,i drank a cup of Water ok,,i asked him if i needed to start out with liquids or mushies agin,,he said no,,eat my usual diet,,just chew, chew chew. I was a self pay and my package covers my fills for the first year.

Banded Jan 29th, 2007

Dr Ken Cleveland-CMMC-Jackson, MS

I had my first fill almost 2 months ago, and I felt very little restriction and it was gone almost immediately. I have a second appointment this week and hopefully that will do the trick!

My daughter and I have had 1.5 cc for our 4cc band and can tell no difference at all really. The doc says it take a good three fills until we will hit our "sweet spot" Would really like to lose at least 50 prior to my birthday in July.

I had my first fill last week (1.5 in 4 band). I can really tell the difference. It has totally taken the edge off my hunger. I'm eating less than 1,000 calories a day and feel completely satisfied.

I hope it lasts!

Fills, like anything else with this crazy band, are up to the individual. For some, the first fill is enough, while for others, it takes 3 or 4, or more.

Don't forget that a fill can take a week to tighten up, so don't think it didn't work right away.

i got my first fill on the 15th and so far i can still eat anything in sight. i'm trying to be a good girl... i'm pretty much starving all the time though. =( i got 2.2cc... i'm not sure how long to wait before making my next appt.

Why is everything I eat getting stuck? I chew and chew and chew. It seems that any meat I try gets stuck. I don't pb, but I have to wait a long time between bites to get unstuck before I can take another bite. At this rate, I am very afraid to get any more fills. I have 2.0 in my 4cc band.

I have a 10cc band, banded Feb 13.

my first fill was 1.5, march 19

its now exactly one month later (april 18) and i have very little restriction for most meals. as long as i chew well and take small bites, and eat slowly i dont have any problems and im able to get down alot of food. I have to be careful that way.

if i eat too fast i get stuck and the only thing i wanna do then is walk, or stand there bent over in prayer.

i go back april 24, for a fill on april 27th, and im very hopeful.

The first few weeks after the fill i did okay. not GREAT restriction but okay enough. now it feels pretty open.

ive been snowed in for the last couple of weeks and thats added to the futility, but it will melt soon...hopefully.

My first fill was only 1/2 cc. In the waiting room before the adjustment, I overheard someone say if you get too much restriction you'll be sick all the time, so I think I was too quick to tell the doc I felt restriction -- and I was tired, I had waited 3 hours in the waiting room, and ended up having to go to xray because the doc couldn't locate the port opening. I felt no restriction from the beginning, and no restriction with 1/2 cc either. Luckily, I'm going back tomorrow (2 weeks later) for another adjustment. I'm still a bit nervous about getting too much restriction and feeling sick all the time. I'm losing 1/4 to 1/2 pound a week, sometimes every two weeks. And on one visit, I had even gained 1.5 pounds -- not good! Ideally, I'd like to lose 1.5 to 2 lbs per week. I wish there was a way to 'feel' whether restriction is enough or not while you're actually getting the fill, but I guess that's not really possible. It feels completely different when you're lying down than it does when you're upright. Besides, in xray, I had to drink that yukky stuff they use for xraying rather than Water, and it's a bit thicker than water--more like a thin shake, and tastes like chalk probably tastes. And, since I was lying down, I had to drink it from a STRAW, which is a no-no, but how else are you going to drink when you're lying down?!

Denise, maybe you should have the volume in your band decreased a little... your food should not be getting stuck that easily.

Does this mean an unfill? I am not sure what you mean by the volume in my band decreased. I am not going to get an unfill because I can finally be full on very little food. I might be taking too big of bites. It's hard to remember to take tiny bites.