Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hola! Orale! Seems Mexico is my option

Wow, everyone is so helpful on this forum. It feels good to be able to be heavy and talk about it like it is normal. You know what I mean? Ok, so both of you got your surgery dates very quickly. That is great news. Now, I just have to decide on a doctor! All of the doctors seem so excellent, it is hard to choose. I guess - if their reputations are all so good - it will come down to price in the end. That sounds odd to say, doesn't it? Thank you both for your answers. They help clarify things. Covatila - how are you adjusting to the post op diet? Anything to be aware of?

I've had no problem adjusting to anything. I still can eat anything, just less of it. Obviously I aim for healthy, Protein choices but sometimes I don't. Why? Because I'm human :) but I feel so good, I will never allow myself to go back the way I felt before! Ever!

You all are so amazing. I didn't realize there were more replies on this thread as I am still getting used to this site. Noob!

Kindle, thanks for the info. I will read her posts to see what happened. One surgery with complications doesn't surprise me, or put me off but if post op contact is bad then....as it stands right now I am having trouble getting hold of anyone at the hospital to ask questions. It's bizarre - the main voicemail box is full so I can't leave a message, and the person who did respond via email said they were travelling and would contact me within 48 hours and it has been a week. I have emailed several times since. This is not inspiring confidence. :(

Is there a place to put a personal weight loss thread so one can keep adding posts and not have to have a separate blog?

Stacy - You raise some good points I had not thought of (and I will check the youtube videos...good idea). 1. Do most of these places provide private rooms? 2. How many surgeries a day does the doctor perform? 3. Does the doctor speak English (I assume most do).

Happy - congratulations on your loss! How did your doctor know he had a good reputation? Do you know, by any chance? I am just asking so I can maybe consult similar sources.

Covatila - indeed, you are human - and it is hard to do 100 percent, you know? I am glad to hear you have adjusted so well. I see it has only bene like not even 2 months for you and you lost 70 lbs! Wow - is that even possible? I must be reading that wrong.

Ahh ZMDH, you have been such a font of useful information (like everyone has!) :) 1. Ok, I will avoid the independent booking agencies - your assessment sounds reasonable. I would much prefer to have a coordiator out of the doctor's office.

2. How do you qualify for in house financing - any idea? The PDL website said you need to have a bank account and a credit card. I am pretty sure it is more complicated than that lol. It's not a lot of money to pay anyway - but still, I have to come up with it and the time slot to have the surgery that works best for me is June (ish).

3. Ok, I will just ask for what possible hidden costs. I am thinking of getting some dental done down there as well. I usually have it done when I travel overseas.

4. I have a best friend that is graduating a surgery residency. I should ask him to check out the pictures. Wow you actually checked supply line origins and manufacture history? Wow - I don't even know what that would tell you but adding it to my list lol. WOW. You should make up a checklist for people to ask each doctor. Would you?! That would be so awesome. We could work on a google doc together if you want.

I would love to see your posts on the research process. I saw one and it was loaded with information. Would you mind telling me what made you uncomfortable with Jerusalem Hospital? I am definitely going to check out your doctor and the others people have mentioned. Cost due to the time factor is an issue for me. I am hoping I can find one at a reasonable price that I am confident with.

---------------------------

Ok and I came up with a few more questions.

-Do most of these places provide private rooms?

-The surgeons in the usa are concerend with sleep apnea being diagnosed prior to surgery. I have never been diagnosed with it but is this something I should check before going down there? What about cardio tests that they ask for in the usa?

- Do the doctors put your legs in the pressure things to avoid blood clots?

- What is it like flying back so soon after surgery?

Edited by Travelmego

I lost 15 on my own from December and January. Then I lost 15 in my pre-op diet. Then from 2/17 until now 5/13 I have lost the additional 40 :)

Yes they so have private rooms and they do out stockings on you to prevent blood clots. I actually made a mini vacation out if my surgery and spent a few days in San Diego after surgery so that it wouldn't be uncomfortable flying home. I'm glad I did too because for 3-5 days after surgery I was SOOOO bloated and gassy and uncomfortable! I wouldn't have wanted to fly like that lol

Oh and I'm quite sure I had sleep apnea...but I never got tested for that and my mom says I snore WAY less and quieter now and I've noticed I don't wake up as often during the night now!

Oh, that is a good point about post surgery bloating etc. I was thinking it would be better to go home and recover there. I think I would like to stay in Tijuana though - on a beach! Perhaps I should make it a vacation but then I would have to fly back alone cuz mom wouldn't be able to be gone that long. Congrats again on being 70 lbs down. That must feel wonderful. Did you find the pre-surgery diet difficult?

BTW is there a forum here where you can make your own 'personal' thread as a diary on your journey rather than having to keep a separate blog?

Edited by Travelmego

Ok, to reply to your replies to my questions :D

1-2. In house financing - yea I will just call and find out. I doubt I would go that route. I think I can come up with the cash. However, I would like to know all my options as I have other obligations. Your paypal suggestion is quite interesting and a way to think outside the box. Brava.

3. The clinic I have been looking at with Dr. PDL offers a free dental and eye exams. I would love to get some work done as I am due. I usually get it overseas when I am travelling anyway. I wonder if there is an eye surgery that can correct a slight astigmatism....anyway :D

4. Ok now this is such an interesting approach to check out the equipment - I don't blame you for checking this stuff out. I just wouldn't have thought to. See- this would be so useful for surgeons to make available.

I totally get starting a project like the google document and then real life getting in the way. We don't have to go all OCD like you did when researching.However, if we are able to make a list of even 20 questions and some tips on how to research, it would be very useful. No hurries, no obligation, but we can try right? Just add to it slowly? Maybe make a thread for suggestions of questions. For example, Dr. PDL is board certified in the USA as well as Mexico. We could include informtion on how to verify that. What do you think? Willing to give it a shot?

5. No worries about saying what made you change your mind on the board. I will look for your inbox.

Further questions section:

-I don't know that I have any issues like apnea or cardio now, but I didn't know I had diabetes until recently either. I will probably get tests done for these 2 things b4 I go. Sadly, my insurance will cover the bypass but not the sleeve. Isn't that messed up?

- I wonder if they would bump me up. Considering I have about 100k miles with this one airline now (and that is after having used a ton), they should! I love the wheelchair or carts. I always use one or the other when I have to lug it through a huge airport. I learned that long ago because I have back issues.

Addition: Hey check this out - someone has made a nice blog page with resources for researching mexican doctors - http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/2010/03/researching-mexican-or-us-sleeve.html

Edited by Travelmego

Oh, that is a good point about post surgery bloating etc. I was thinking it would be better to go home and recover there. I think I would like to stay in Tijuana though - on a beach! Perhaps I should make it a vacation but then I would have to fly back alone cuz mom wouldn't be able to be gone that long. Congrats again on being 70 lbs down. That must feel wonderful. Did you find the pre-surgery diet difficult? BTW is there a forum here where you can make your own 'personal' thread as a diary on your journey rather than having to keep a separate blog?

Well it was in february when I went and it was cold in Philly! It was much more enjoyable recovering in sunny California! I booked a couple extra days in Tijuana Marriott and sat by the pool reading a book. It was only $65 a night and the hotel was very enjoyable. Staff were very friendly and I walked to Walmart by myself to get out and get some exercise.

Also, if you fly back on your own, just let the airport know that u r having surgery and need a wheel chair. That's what I did so I wasn't standing on my feel long waiting in lines and I got to go on the plane first :) I don't know about the forum question...I suppose u could just creat a forum and title it My experience :)

Honestly the pre op was not too hard for me because I made small changes along the way. It was a little challenging the first 2-3 days...my pre op liquid diet was 2 weeks. But I lost 15lbs doing it and that alone was rewarding!

Hi,

I thought I replied to these last 2 posts. I need to go read through this entire thread again because I decided not to go with dr. Ponce de leon and I am now researching all of these other doctors.

zmdh - the whole coordinator thing is frustrating. It is indeed hard to know what is what around here.

Covatila - i love the idea of staying a few extra days. If I were not taking my mom with me, I could probably do that.