Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Us Help You

Good day to everyone!

In two and a half years of being on this amazing site (thank you @@Alex Brecher), this is my first post in Rants and Raves. And it really isn't a rant or a rave. It's more of a request. I recently read a post that essentially said "Tell me your WLS story from pre-op to goal weight." Really?

There are so many knowledgeable and caring folks on this site. We are so anxious to help others who are facing many of the same challenges we have faced. We want to share our experiences and offer suggestions and support and encouragement. We really do! And we really have a lot to offer. But we can't do that unless you do your part. So here are a few ideas to help us help you.

• Avoid impossibly broad questions (like the example above). Most of us don't have to the time to type it. And you probably don't have the time to read it.
  • Ask any question you want - but be as specific as possible. What have you tried to solve the problem or concern? What was the result? Have you discussed it with your doctor/nutritionist/physician's assistant? If yes, what was their response or suggestion? You gain nothing from well-meaning suggestions that you've already tried and that failed to address the concern.
  • Please, at the very least, complete the surgery type in your profile. Members of the forum can see that information whenever you post. The answers to some questions are surgery specific. Knowing the surgery you had or are planning to have allows other members to judge if they have the experience needed to answer your question in the context of the surgery you've had or are planning.
  • If you're post-op, completing surgery date, starting weight and current weight in your profile is invaluable. I recently read a thread where the member was very frustrated with his/her results. Another member noted in their response that his/her weight loss to date was truly excellent. There simply was no cause for concern!
  • Post your questions or ideas to the correct forum. One of the great strengths of Bariatric Pal is the availability of forums for virtually every aspect of the WLS journey. It only takes a minute or two to select the best option. You'll be rewarded with more responses and responses that are more focused on your specific question.
  • Always acknowledge responses to your question. In many cases a simple "Thanks so much!" is fine. Failure to acknowledge other's attempts to help you succeed is inexcusable.
  • Familiarize yourself with the Search function on the forum and use it. We get it - every single one of us was new to WLS at some point. But many questions have been answered dozens, if not hundreds of times. A quick search for one or two keywords will return a virtual library of responses on many, many topics. You'll get tons of answers from many different perspectives. You'll be amazed at how much and how quickly you can learn from the experience of other members. If you don't find the answer to your question, type away!

You guys have a great day and always remember - you're gonna love the new you!!

Edited by DLCoggin

Very eloquently put. My personal redneck version would have got me thrown off the site.

It would be beneficial if the folks who join the site via app could read your post before creating a topic or post. I have the Kindle app and it's rather hard to navigate so I'm sure for those who aren't familiar with the site via PC find that the site is rather restricted.

Tmf, I was just thinking about how something like a top five or ten most searched subjects link would be nice. Placed very near the beginner's forum.

I think that's a great idea. Sort of a spin-off on "Frequently Asked Questions".